A user running Office 2003 on XP Pro is having problems with the spell checker mostly in Word and Outlook. The "check spelling as you type" option is checked but is not working. Spell check will perform if you select tools-spelling and grammar but will not check as you type.

If I log her off and log in as myself the "check spelling as you type" feature works. Obviously a user-specific issue. She uses English and Russian so I installed MS Proofing Tools 2003 and Para Win as a keyboard editor. I assume the language and registry settings are causing the problem but I can't figure it out (and she's driving me nuts!).

One more thing, if I uncheck "check spelling as you type" and then recheck it, it will work for the duration of Word or Outlook being open but will not hold if the programs are closed.

Thanks for any help.

Well I figured it out and just in case anyone else has this problem in the future...

In MS Word go to Tools/Language/Set Language

and uncheck Detect Language Automatically.

Spell check will then check spelling as you type.

Thanks Dude, It really works.. Once Again thanks alot

Well I figured it out and just in case anyone else has this problem in the future...

In MS Word go to Tools/Language/Set Language

and uncheck Detect Language Automatically.

Spell check will then check spelling as you type.

I want to spell check for Outlook 2003. Word -> Language option doesn't work.

I had this same problem, and this fixed it also..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.