Hello,

I have this problem a very long time. Whenever I try to watch a video on youtube or google video or sites like these, the video plays only for two seconds and then picture freezes. On the other I always notice that the video loads normally and completely 100%. I can even move to another part of the video and then it just plays again for two seconds and freezes again. I tried playing with the global and site memory setting that flash player use to store content but I didn't manage to get over this problem (even gave unlimited memory storage).
Does anyone know about this problem?
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

This sounds like a setting.

Or it may be that you have a hobbled trial version of the player (in which case, you have to BUY the full version).

commented: You don't have to buy a non-free-as-in-beer version of the flash player. This is worse than wrong. -1

Youtube and Google video SUCK!!!!!

I cant view 90% of the vids they stream and i have emailed tham about it and they frankly dont care :(

Welcome to daniweb :)

Another possibility is that your ISP has lawsuitophobia and is blocking full content of what might be "pirated copyrighted material".

NO its youtube and google,they assume everyone has the latest video cards,etc and that thier computers can handle the crap they send out!!

Its disgusting

commented: Got any proof to back that up? -2
commented: Nope +0
commented: Playing videos doesn't require an advanced videocard. -1
commented: Uhh no.. I have an old ass $20 video card, and videos play just fine for me. -2
Member Avatar for Dukane

I reinstalled the latest version of the Adobe Flash player and then restarted the computer. Problem went away after that when I had the same issue last week.

hey guys, same problem, no solution, as for the "assume you've got the latest pc" my pc is spankin... 8800gts, 2GB low latency ram... yada yada yada... all the twizzles.

the problem is this, youtube is the main culprit i've seen, the videos load for two seconds, wait for a minute thirty seconds, load another two seconds, wait for another minute... it's rediculous. it's not download speeds, because i could open a new tab with another video, and have it play no problem... and i do mean that, it will play without the need to buffer... i'm on 1 meg,and it's slow at the best of times, but i've heard of people in my area on 8meg, with the same problem... loading two seconds, loading two seconds...

youtube dont seem to want to know, and it's not in any FAQ's.

it's always exactly 2 seconds. and if i come back tomorrow, the same video may not be affected. 'm getting only aprox a 45% hit rate with the video's i want to watch, (on youtube)

other websites are not affected.
i've heard reports of people finding faults on ISP's AOL VIRGIN, TISCALI,
I.E, firefox, and AOL, browsers.

if anyone has the fix... POST POST POST!!!

Welcome to Daniweb :)

hey guys, same problem, no solution, as for the "assume you've got the latest pc" my pc is spankin... 8800gts, 2GB low latency ram... yada yada yada... all the twizzles.

the problem is this, youtube is the main culprit i've seen, the videos load for two seconds, wait for a minute thirty seconds, load another two seconds, wait for another minute... it's rediculous. it's not download speeds, because i could open a new tab with another video, and have it play no problem... and i do mean that, it will play without the need to buffer... i'm on 1 meg,and it's slow at the best of times, but i've heard of people in my area on 8meg, with the same problem... loading two seconds, loading two seconds...

youtube dont seem to want to know, and it's not in any FAQ's.

it's always exactly 2 seconds. and if i come back tomorrow, the same video may not be affected. 'm getting only aprox a 45% hit rate with the video's i want to watch, (on youtube)

other websites are not affected.
i've heard reports of people finding faults on ISP's AOL VIRGIN, TISCALI,
I.E, firefox, and AOL, browsers.

if anyone has the fix... POST POST POST!!!

This is not youtube, because others don't have the trouble.

Check your internet cache size. If it is smaller than the video, the video will be presented in spurts.

It also might be your ISP that is limiting the packet size to two seconds. Maybe the ISP is overloaded with traffic.

It is also possible that the internet trunk lines between your ISP and the rest of the internet are too small for the demanded traffic.

One final possibility is that too many people are requesting the same video.

New member ... reviving this thread ... I have exactly the same 2-second problem, but it manifests *only* in firefox. It galls me to boot up IE just to watch a video.

New member ... reviving this thread ... I have exactly the same 2-second problem, but it manifests *only* in firefox. It galls me to boot up IE just to watch a video.

Your problem is likely with Quicktime. This overzealous program tries to associate file types with itself that it really shouldn't. You need to go into your Quicktime preferences and disassociate it from being the default player for video files. Doing this fixed many video problems I was experiencing with my browsers.

If you have Apple update, you will need to fix this problem every time it automatically updates Quicktime, which is quite often. It is really annoying that Apple does this, apparently they think Quicktime is more important than any other player.

I traced it to my virus checker holding up the video for a few seconds until it could catch up. Then the video starts again.

I will not let Quicktime on my system for the reason stated above.

I'm having this "play for 2 seconds" issue as well.
I've read the suggestions above and found that the file association with Quicktime is NOT the cause of my problem, neither does waiting for 1min 30s for next 2secs worth. However, waiting for a LOOONG time will load the whole thing.

It's not an ISP issue as I have trouble on my laptop but not on my desktop PC.
I also noticed that an embeded YouTube on my website has trouble but watching directly from YouTube is ok. I don't know enough to comment on the relevance of this.

I use Firefox and so I tried switching to IE (sigh) and bingo, no problem.
I've raised a flag with Mozilla but in the mean time I've found that using the "IE Tab" extension in FF works fine. Saves switching browser.

I hope this info allows some genius to come to a suitable conclusion to this.

Cheers,
Pete

When I had this problem while running firefox, i noticed when the add-on ---Video Downloader 2.0-- was disabled the problem went away.. I would just disable it then restart firefox and all was good...

I then just left it like that and used another video download program....

After awhile I just uninstalled Video Downloader 2.0 add-on then downloaded the older version and all was good.

At least thats how i fixed mine...

Hope thats helps someone... let me know if that was the fix you needed

Haha. Thanks for the suggestion. You got me excited.
However, I had Download Helper 3.0.3 and tried disabling it but it made no difference to my PC.
I'm glad it solved your problem though. I could have lived without DH.

Cheers,
Pete

I had Download Helper 3.0.3 and tried disabling it but it made no difference to my PC.
I'm glad it solved your problem though. I could have lived without DH.

Cheers,
Pete

I never had "Download Helper" on my system, so I do not know about that add-on. Although I did try disabling different add-ons each time I restarted firefox. It only worked after I restarted it after disabling "Video download 2.0", if I enabled it and restarted firefox the problem returned.

Answer: I closed RealPlayer, because I had a session running. The RealPlayer feature that allows you to download Flash videos can get in the way of video playback.

I found the solution for this:

1. Uninstall flash. You may need to download a flash uninstaller to be sure. You may need to delete the flash player from the plugins folder.

2. Delete all your firefox add-ons.

3. Reinstall flash.

I dont know which add-on does this, but with none it works fine.

Enjoy!

Well sometimes add-ons slow things down,etc.....

Okay my earlier fix worked only for a short while. According to the mozilla boards you need to just install Flashplayer 10 beta. This fixes the issue.

Tried it last night and it works.

The problem is Flash Player.

Just some random versions don't work with some versions of browsers.

I'm using 3 versions of Flash player:
- Microsoft IE 6
- Windows Opera/Firefox
- Linux Opera/Firefox

Somehow whenever I update the flash player it sometimes won't work on some flash video sites while the others keep working. So, some seasons I have to use Opera to view movies and sometimes I use IE6. It very rarely happens they work both, but just wait till the new version is released, it'll probably work.

I do not have plugins
I do not have exotic software
The problem seems to occur with some 'generations' of youtube films (older movies tend to work better than newer).

Try reinstall your browser or clean history record.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.