I'm having a problem doing the disk defrag on my computer. I'm running Windows 98. My problem isn't like the other person who posted a defrag problem thread....I set my up to run a defrag a couple of nights ago, and was just going to let it run all night, and that it should be done the next morning. The next morning when I got up, it was still at 0% for checking for problems (I think that's what it said). I've run the disk defrag before a couple of months ago, and it did fine. It took a LONG time because I had never done it, but it worked. Any ideas on why it wouldn't work this time? I shut off all running programs and my screen saver too, so that nothing would make it keep starting over. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Did the program seem to start running correctly and then get "reset" at some point; starting from the beginning again, or did it just never appear to even start scanning?

Did you use <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Del> and 'end task' everything except systray and explorer before using Defrag? That's the only way to be certain you've shut everything down.

Running defrag from 'Safe mode' is a good idea as well.

I didn't do the con/alt/delete....but to answer your first question, no it never reset itself...it just never even got past 0%.

I'll have to try running it in safe mode and see if that makes any difference too. :)

I'll have to try running it in safe mode and see if that makes any difference too. :)

Yes- definitely give that a try.

If Defrag couldn't even get pask checking your disk, perhaps your Hard Drive has some errors on it/bad sectors. From Safe Mode you could try running Scandisk first, and then running defrag.

Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.