When i am logged onto my user acount internet explorer works fine but when i log onto a different acount it cannot connect. how can i fix this

Daryl

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

What version of Windows are you using? When you're logged into the other account, is there any access to the Internet at all? Are there any firewall, etc. programs set up for one account and not the other?

i am using windows XP and i recently had a firewall installed but i then deleted all the programs files and regestry entries i did it this way because the program would not show up on the add remove programs thing in the controll panel.

it is not only internet explorer that isnt working its everything that needs to conect to the internet

Golly gee whiz ... manually deleting any program (especially one such as a firewall) could cause a whole slew of problems! Are you sure you caught everything? What sorta program wouldn't appear in Add/Remove programs? Did this problem start happening right after you uninstalled the firewall? Perhaps it is still trying to load part of it at startup? Check the startup tab of msconfig (run menu, then "msconfig") to look for any remnants. This might be the reason why it works for one user and not another on your system.

do system restore back to bsfore you deleted the program

well i tried to go into my system restore but the only date that it would let me restore to was yesterday. So i dont know what else to do and i did everything you said and it still doesnt work

try start/run/ sfc /scannow
note the space between sfc and /

alright i did that and it says it was cheking the windows files or whatever and it did that and then it closed and it didnt do anything

i really have to thank you guys for trying to help me out here

Just a tip. If you have a hard drive large enough, right click on My Computer, go to "System Restore" tab, then go to the settings button, and increase the amount of space reserved for system restore. The reason it would only let you restore to yesterday was either because you recently cleared out your system restore files, or you aren't reserving enough memory to store more than one day's worth of data. If you have the room, increasing the number of system restore points that can be saved will prevent this dilemma in the future. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve your problem :(

Perhaps if this program was incorrectly installed, you could reinstall it? This way, at least it's not partially there and partially not in your system.

the system restore thingy was already on max drive space

let me have a conclusion:
one account works but another account doesn't work.
so your computer is physically connected.
most likely, it's all about your proxy settings of MSIE.
however, if it's the firewall which keeps you from
talk to the admin politely, if it doesn't work...
... nuke it!

;-)

thats how the problem began in the first place i believe...

the above advice to reinstall the firewall might be something to consider doing .

are you using a tcp/ip connection?

i am connected through a LAN

well, its nice that youre using a LAN, but that doesn't really tell me whether or not you're using tcp/ip. i'll make that assumption since it's highly probably, but not given, that you are. from the login that cannot connect, do the following (for instructs requiring you to enter data do not type the quote marks unless specificied):

1) open a console window (old style dos prompt) (do that by goint to "Start" clicking on "Run" type "cmd" & hit "OK" or hit your Enter key)
2) type "ping 199.181.135.201" & hit your Enter key; if you get anything other than 4 replies post to this thread the exact information that is returned, otherwise
3) type "ping abc.com" & hit your Enter key; if you get anything other than 4 replies post to this thread the exact information that is returned, otherwise
4) type "ftp 131.172.2.2 & hit your Enter key; post to this thread the exact information that is returned

Hey I'm having on a similar problem to this guy, you think you can help me out?
On this computer there are 3 accounts and internet explorer is working fine on 2 of them but it won't work on one of these accounts.
It will detect the procy setting and start to download the page and it will maybe load like a image or two (Like on google it will get the banner and on yahoo a few images at the top and the banner) after about five minutes (I'm on a cable connection and it is the homepage), then internet explorer starts to stop responding and it won't close till it has used up all the virtual memory and is forced to be closed (just ending the task wouldn't close it). But the thing is that firefox on this same account will load things just fine. However, the user of this account only likes to use internet explorer and won't be able to help me much about how it could have happened in the first place.

I'm on windows xp sp2 and I don't think you need my system specs for this problem

What version of Windows are you using? When you're logged into the other account, is there any access to the Internet at all? Are there any firewall, etc. programs set up for one account and not the other?

windows professional, the firewall is installed on both users

I am currently using windows professionals, when I try to go on the internet it doesn't work at all, and I have a firewall installed what do i do then

I know all the posts on this issue are old but i found it and wanted to update...

Recently had this issue on a client pc. PC was infected and issue occured after the infection was removed. The problem was the infection changed the proxy server settings on the user account with a problem. I know this was mentioned on an earlier post but thought it needed to be spelled out more clearly.

Log onto the user account that works. Open internet explorer. Go to tools, internet options, connections tab, and lan settings. Make a note of the settings.

Log onto the user account that does not work and verify that those settings are the same.

In my situation they were not and correcting them solved the problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.