SpitJock 0 Newbie Poster

Hi All,

I'm trying to knock together a bit of a program for picking through the contents of %windir%/CSC in the hope of being able to recover somewhat from disaters suffered by users when Oflline File sync goes wrong It appears that all windows does is strip filenames and extensions from files and stick them in subfolders of CSC, tracking them in a database at the root of CSC. (great security, MS!) Of course, if the CSC database goes screwy, so do all your (potentially unsynchronised) offline files and folders...

Anyway - I've been picking through stuff in a fairly random way, and know that many/most Windows apps will store some magic bytes in the head or tail of a file indicating what type of file they are. What I'm hoping to find is a listing somewhere that lays out what the most-used conventions for these identifiers are.... E.g. - the first two bytes of a Zip file should read "50 4b" - from that I can start to knock up a utility to scan unknown files for these identifiers and therefore re-apply file extensions (and in some cases, filenames if they are stored in a set way within the file like with Office Apps)

So - does anyone know where I might come upon such a list? (Google's been pretty useless so far).