I'm spending a lot of time in Microsoft Word/Office and am finally frustrated enough with my problem to look for a solution.

I couple of years ago bought a Dell c610 Latitude laptop with MS Office 2003 installed on it. "My wife lost the CD" was the reason given to me to explain why the laptop didn't come with the disk.

I am running Microsoft Office 2003 SP1 11.6359.6360

Now a couple of years later EVERY time I open an Office program the Windows Installer begin an installation sequence which begins with:

"please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office professional Edition 2003"

and leaves me with

..."containing the installation package 'PRO11.MSI' in the box below".

I cannot use an install disk I don't have to find "PRO.MSI."

The help offered on http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA011185721033.aspx might have been helpful if I had the original installation disk.

The GOOD news is that after I cancel the "install" the Office program opens...YEAH, but it's an annoyance I think should be easily correctable.

I'm nervous to lose the fact that the programs do eventually open while searching for a solution.

Do you know if there are there any options to correct my circumstance?

Scooter

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

The only solution I know of when seeing this is to insert the install disk :(
This probably started happening after you installed some updates correct?

I had a similar problem with Office 2007 when installing over Office 2003, and it turned out to be a problem with the registry. Try downloading the free CCleaner at http://ccleaner.com/download, and run the registry cleaner. There should be a fair number of issues, I fixed them all. This banished the configuration screen for good!

I'm quite confident that this solution will work for other users since there is no machine-specific problem - CCleaner should find the culprit.

Good luck with this irritating bug.

this happen because u delete the temp files for the installation for the program. of it has been removed by an update. the only want around it is to get the MSi or setupfile for the program,(which is on the install Disk)

Yes an installation disk will be needed to get this sorted.

Here is the ABSOLUTELY GARUNTEED Solution to this problem:
1. Un-Install the complete Microsoft Office
2. Use CCleaner to clean up the mess Microsoft is too lazy to un-install. Clean Files, System and Registry with CCleaner.
3. Go Here: www.OpenOffice.org
4. Download and Install the latest version of OpenOffice for FREE (don't let this fool you it is just as full-featured as Microsoft Office without all the BLOAT).
5. Repackage and sell Microsoft Office on E-Bay
6. Use the proceeds of the sale to make a donation to OpenOffice.org (You WILL want to do this because of the no-worries product you now have in place of Microsoft Office.
7. Write a nasty letter to Microsoft and tell them to shove their products up their NOSE but do not tell the the replacement you have found - They will try to BUY it!
8. Keep your new office apps updated because they are being improved monthly and there is never a cost to you.
9. Smile - Don't worry, Be Happy

This problem happens when either you add a new user profile to your PC, A registry entry gets deleted or the temp files are deleted. See if you can borrow an office disk off someone that is the same verion ie student/ teacher, pro, or standard. Insert the disk when your install asks for it.

I have tangled with this before and it cannot be fixed without a disk.

Arr, I have this exact same error. I've reinstalled using the disc, I've uninstalled it, I've downloaded all updates from WUpdate. I've also done what the poster above did and downloaded CChecker.

I have paid for Office 2007 I don't want to use OpenOffice. Please somebody help who has actually fixed this!!!

Okay, I've fixed it.

It's actually incredibly stupid that this causes a glitch. All I did was went to c:/Program Files and then clicked on the icons. Any shortcuts do NOT work. So click on WINWORD.exe for WORD, etc. Then just replace all your shortcuts to link directly to this. Bizarre error.

I tried this in office 2007 and it works! But still every time I navigate to a file through windows explorer it still "installs" before it will open the file, even if the programe is already running!

I don't think anyone actually read the question properly...hmmm.

Just let it go through the process. When it asks for the cd, click cancel.

Also, in Excel > Tools > Options > General tab. Click Service Options. There might be something in there to stop updates.

Also, turn off auto updates to "let me know so I can choose" Option.

x

Here is the ABSOLUTELY GARUNTEED Solution to this problem:
1. Un-Install the complete Microsoft Office
2. Use CCleaner to clean up the mess Microsoft is too lazy to un-install. Clean Files, System and Registry with CCleaner.
3. Go Here: www.OpenOffice.org
4. Download and Install the latest version of OpenOffice for FREE (don't let this fool you it is just as full-featured as Microsoft Office without all the BLOAT).
5. Repackage and sell Microsoft Office on E-Bay
6. Use the proceeds of the sale to make a donation to OpenOffice.org (You WILL want to do this because of the no-worries product you now have in place of Microsoft Office.
7. Write a nasty letter to Microsoft and tell them to shove their products up their NOSE but do not tell the the replacement you have found - They will try to BUY it!
8. Keep your new office apps updated because they are being improved monthly and there is never a cost to you.
9. Smile - Don't worry, Be Happy

... DUMB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.