In the process of trying to update my Win 98 to XP, XP told me that if I proceeded it would erase some 500+ files from my trash bin. My trash bin is empty. So they must have been stored some where after they were deleted from the trash bin over the past 3 years. I always wanted to know if it was possible to find deleted files.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

It is, but you need a special program to do so. You can try looking for it on google.

I found one a long time ago, but it does nothing more than show the files that were deleted.

If you delete a file from floppy disk, you can use Dos 5.0+'s undelete command to rescue it. It doesn't work on Windows anymore, however.

There are programs out there that are supposed to do this. I haven't tried any yet so I can't make any recommendations. I'm looking for a reputable one myself. A couple I'm aware of are:

Restoration -- Free
Search & Recover -- About $40

If you try one and it actually works, let me know! I'll do the same.

Okay, I used the Restoration program and it looks like I'll be able to get back just about everything that was missing. A couple of things have been corrupted -- probably from using that drive a bit.

The only thing I don't like about the program is that I can only recover one file at a time, which is very tedious and time consuming as I had literally hundreds of files there. But it's better then losing them!

Try Undelete -- it has an emergency undelete feature to recover files already deleted. It runs from the CD-ROM so you don't overwrite the deleted files by installing a file recovery program.

Hello,

DataRecoveryWizard utility can help. Speaking about me, it was
easily able to restore lost partition, so I think you will
also find it quite useful. Really recommended tool, give it a try.

http://www.easeus.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.