Please help!
I Have IE 6.0 and Windows XP
I can only open one IE window at a time, when i try and open another one it automatically closes the 1st one and it is getting reay anoying!
Thanks alot

Recommended Answers

All 25 Replies

Hi ,go to tools ,intertnet options ,advanced ,in the list somewere you will see reuse window when opening new page , uncheck it so that it opens a new window .

I did tht and it still closes the other window when i open a new one, anymore ideas? thnx

nope! sorry

hey, here's the word. I pray you have yahoo, because i did. There are some other options, that i didn't select to install, but apparently yahoo installed anyways. you can uninstall/remove/delete anything and everything that says yahoo, except for messenger listing, and restart, and you will be back to normal. I didn't have this problem occur right away after yahoo, it seemed to just mutate its way there. then i was getting mad because i like using ie, and many people stand by mozilla, its just something else i really don't have room for atm. i found this answer, to be the only one, and am glad, now i can have multiple windows and read my docs again, thanks to that poster, carterhamilton: http://bink.nu/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=5684 and true, you can use the option to reuse ie windows, but i did have that selected and it didn't work still with them options from yahoo installed, now everything is fine, spread the word, let others now, this was a hassle and a whole day brain teaser, it really shouldn't be this way, at least it is an easy fix instead of messing with your registery and other settings.

Please help!
I can only open one IE window at a time, when i try and open another one it automatically closes the 1st one and it is getting reay anoying!
Thanks alot

I'm having the same problem....did you ever find out how to fix it? HELP

I'm having the same problem....did you ever find out how to fix it? HELP

yes, it was fixed, by removing some yahoo things, besides messenger from the add/remove programs list, that is the only solution that fixed my problem, which i think i posted about...

Please help!
Thanks alot

I had this happen and by deleting any yahoo bar's or yahoo related links and then reboot. That should fix it. Good Luck :cheesy:

I had this happen and by deleting any yahoo bar's or yahoo related links and then reboot. That should fix it. Good Luck :cheesy:

ok, well, that is what i have stated before.....not to be prude, heh, just for the record....

I found that uninstalling my Yahoo bar did the trick...good luck...

I was originally lead to this site when I googled "Can't open more than one window." Caperjack said:
"Hi ,go to tools ,intertnet options ,advanced ,in the list somewere you will see reuse window when opening new page , uncheck it so that it opens a new window."

Original poster said they did it but it didn't work. I also did it but it didn't work, so I started to do it again when I noticed the "reuse new window" was still checked. But when I unchecked it again and clicked "APPLY" it then worked. I know this is an old post, but no one seemed to have an answer other than caperjack.

Thanks gmatt that did the trick, thank god for google the best trouble shooter in the world!!!

Thanks gmatt that did the trick, thank god for google the best trouble shooter in the world!!!

I'm glad someone is listening to me....ahahahaha, yeah, I had to google it out, and since I saw some other sites that were talking about it, I decided it would be best to put that option in there as well.....glad to know it helped someone, have a good day.

I googled my way to this thread. I had this problem for some time, but could find nothing useful, until I got here. I didn't think I had anything from Yahoo installed, but Add/Remove Programs showed Yahoo Toolbar. I don't recall asking for it, and no Yahoo toolbar was displayed. However, I removed it from the list. Lo and behold, I can now open more than one window, as before. Thanks for the tip.

I got another way to fix such a silly problem. Get firefox!, lol. Its free and bug free. Im going to write a story later this week on how i tested this bad boy, and hot doggie it work's. No spyware, no problems, no nothing.

I got another way to fix such a silly problem. Get firefox!, lol. Its free and bug free. Im going to write a story later this week on how i tested this bad boy, and hot doggie it work's. No spyware, no problems, no nothing.

I meant to mention that the problem with IE caused me to start making serious use of Firefox, and now that's my primary browser. However, I am happy to have IE working right, even if I don't use it much anymore.

Ya, i dont seem uch of any useage with IE any more. Well at least not with my friend's.

Firefox a good browser but not
Perfect

Google for fire fox bugs

Its just people who have nothing better to do, then sit there and make poor mozillas life a living hell. Damn people, well as long as IE clear's up, thats all that matter's. I ran a spyware test though. Firefox didn't pick up one thing.

i use both, b/c not every website supports firefox yet, but i have to say, i do love firefox's features that are not avail in ie

Well firefox is falling apart any way. I proclaim that IE will soon be safer to use lol. GOD damn people. We find a way to keep clean and they just have to make/find bug's.

I registered here just to post a thank you to you guys for the answer to the internet explorer problem (unable to start multiple program processes). Deleting the Yahoo accessories fixed it for me.

I googled my way to this thread. I had this problem for some time, but could find nothing useful, until I got here. I didn't think I had anything from Yahoo installed, but Add/Remove Programs showed Yahoo Toolbar. I don't recall asking for it, and no Yahoo toolbar was displayed. However, I removed it from the list. Lo and behold, I can now open more than one window, as before. Thanks for the tip.

The Yahoo toolbar is installed when you install Yahoo Messenger and choose "Typical (recommended)" during the install...this installs Messenger, Yahoo Toolbar, and Yahoo Extras - each of which end up in Add/Rem programs, and you can uninstall them later, but leave just Yahoo Messenger. If you choose custom you get a list of 6 components, the first in the list is just Messenger, which is usually all you need. I'm also responding because I was at a client yesterday with the same problem - could only have one Internet Expolorer window open at a time. I uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar, and it was fixed. Before that however I had run Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, and Im wondering if one of those two programs, in doing its job, damaged or altered the toolbar to cause such a side effect. Just a thought.

OK, This didnt work for me, but if I un TICKED the Enable third-party browser extension (requires restart) , it all worked again. Onyl thing i have resident is spybot & google toolbar, which is now taken off.

Manage your add-ons = Tools-Manage Add-ons. Process of elimination. One at a time disable them starting with what you think is the most unnecessary. I had the problem and started getting rid of junky IE Add-ons and that solved the problem.

Clearing the Yahoo toolbar was the key! I thought I had really messed something up at some point. Glad to know it was Yahoo and not me. Thanks for having this info available.
Tom :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.