wyerleader 0 Newbie Poster

My X father in laws computer crashed ( socket 478 pentium)

sooo I rebuilt it with this

ASUS A8V-VM SE 939 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4200DAA5BV - OEM
(Bought together from Newegg as a combo)

I put this in an ATX case,used his new 400 watt power supply
his hard drive,ddr ram,and Cd -dvd drives

I partitioned his hard drive and put all his info in partiton E

Reloaded WIN xp pro V2002 SP2 onto C:

Got a clean install Validated and updated,loaded and ran spybot
loaded avast anti virus ( havent ran it yet)

Reloaded several programs Nero 7,Office2003,etc.

everything is going along honkee doree and then..........

I tried to load his All-in-one Epson CX6400 printer

Download printer drivers and twain drivers and load per instructions
printer drivers then twain.
and ....FREEZE...I have to do a hard shut down. un install the drivers reinstall the drivers. It will let me load drivers and get to open an application for scan then it freezes up again.

If I leave the printer on and pluged in the computer freezes on the welcome screen.
If I turn off the computer turn off the printer then turn on the computer it boots and runs fine for a long time but will freeze after hours of use.
while the computer is running with the printer drivers installed and while running i turn on the printer,within a min or two it will freeze ( if not immediatly which it does sometimes).

I have un installed and reinstalled at least 5 times.(each time making sure to remove all instences of the previous install....even going into C:and deleting the epson folder before reinstall)

I did find the area on epson's web site that said "Atention windows XP users"
and found the suposed updated drivers from Epson's web site.

This is what I have been using.
Printer Driver v5.5bAs
TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v2.65A

Any help would be greatly apreciated.....Maybe I have forgotten something small somewhere.....A setting I need on this new install I'm missing?
I checked Admin tools under services and the print spooling is set to automatic and started

there is no ! or anything else in the device mgr. that would indicate a problem piece of hardware.. all is loaded and working properly.

I used to be able to change the mem range in WIN98 in the device mgr. if I had a conflict but do not see how or know if this can be done for hardware in WIN xp pro.
Could it be something in the BIOS I forgot?

Oh Yea I can uninstall the
drivers and leave the printer out of the picture and I have a nice running computer.No probs.
The Cx is only a few years old Hate to replace it to find a similar or same prob. cause of something I am not doing right.

Thanx All

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.