Hi there

Wondering if someone can help/advise me?

Will try and make this as clear as possible!!

1. I have a standard internet connection which I have 2 pc's connected to. One is my works laptop (XP) which works fine. I also have a personal pc with Vista (3 months old) which is whats causing the problem

2. Switched my personal pc on at the weekend and it will only let me access certain sites. For example, www.google.co.uk won't work but www.ask.co.uk does! www.ibm.com works but www.microsoft.com doesn't - and so on - I digress!! My laptop can still access everything and have been assured by my ISP that there are no problems with my connection. I can ping google from my personal pc by the way

3. I have AVG (No good) so went out and bought Norton - This requires an update and guess what - I can't access www.norton.com!!!

This is really annoying and I don't even know where to start, I think if I could access norton etc I might be able to find the potential issue..

Can anyone help me??

Many thanks

Mark

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I am also having this problem. I'm running Vista. I have 4 laptops on a wireless Zoom DSL router. One can access any pages without a problem (HP) and the other 3 can't. I can't even get windows updates. Two laptops are HP, one is eMachine and the newest one (less than a week old) is a Toshiba Qosmio.

Hi there

Wondering if someone can help/advise me?

Will try and make this as clear as possible!!

1. I have a standard internet connection which I have 2 pc's connected to. One is my works laptop (XP) which works fine. I also have a personal pc with Vista (3 months old) which is whats causing the problem

2. Switched my personal pc on at the weekend and it will only let me access certain sites. For example, www.google.co.uk won't work but www.ask.co.uk does! www.ibm.com works but www.microsoft.com doesn't - and so on - I digress!! My laptop can still access everything and have been assured by my ISP that there are no problems with my connection. I can ping google from my personal pc by the way

3. I have AVG (No good) so went out and bought Norton - This requires an update and guess what - I can't access www.norton.com!!!

This is really annoying and I don't even know where to start, I think if I could access norton etc I might be able to find the potential issue..

Can anyone help me??

Many thanks

Mark

I just had the same problem. (maybe)
All other forums assumed it was malware--so I cleaned and cleaned and that didn't work. After two days--about 20 hours of looking, I happened to turn off the antivirus program I had (avast) and everything worked perfectly!

I don't think it was the antivirus that caused the problem so much as a vista update(?)

If your vista computer is only 3 months old, didn't it come with a antivirus program installed?

If it was symantec, and you uninstalled it, it would create this same problem---you would need to get the nortonremove program to fix it.

Hope this helps.

I am also having this problem. I'm running Vista. I have 4 laptops on a wireless Zoom DSL router. One can access any pages without a problem (HP) and the other 3 can't. I can't even get windows updates. Two laptops are HP, one is eMachine and the newest one (less than a week old) is a Toshiba Qosmio.

The problem is probably either an update of a browser or an update of windows.

Either way, fixing (or removing) the antivirus software should fix it.

Disable antivirus. If the browser loads, it's the windows update.

If it doesn't load, it's a browser update. You uninstalled an antivirus program which does not totally uninstall. It sees the browser update as a new program and won't let it through.
Find a remover program from the program.

This sound to me like it is your Anti Virus, anti virsus software has been known to corrupt and drop alot of incoming packets. After disabling / uninstalling your anti virus, you may need to restore one specific file on your PC this can be done but i cannot remember the comand line argument to do this, trying calling up your anti virus provider and asking them about it.

Chris

It could be an anti-virus and its built in firewall or it could also be the problem local DNS cache of the computer.

Try to disable the anti-virus and then browse the internet and if the problem persists after this, then go to command prompt and type this:

ipconfig/flushdns

And let us know the result

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.