Hey everyone. :)

I'm new here, i've been lurking around the forums for a while but this is my first post. I wasn't quite sure which forum to place this in and i'm sorry if i chose the wrong one, i've just been having several problems with my computer recently -

1) I cannot sign into MSN Explorer. Everytime i try to sign in it comes up with a message saying i need to update my MSN to 'enhance your service' It says that msn will be restarted for me when the update is complete. After a while another message appears in a grey box with -

'We're sorry but the update did not complete succesfully.
You may have been disconnected from the internet. If you
are using Windows 2000, you need to be a computer
administrator to perform the update. Please restart MSN
explorer to automatically start this update again.
If you have already tried to update again and are saying
this message for the second time, please re-install from
your cd or from http://explorer.msn.com."

I have tried re-installing several times but i am still having no success. I am using Windows XP and i am a computer administrator.

I can easily access my MsN messenger (6.2 version) on it's own, but cannot get directly into explorer and my hotmail. I did ask about this on the msn/microsoft discussion forum but to be honest they weren't very friendly or helpful.

2) If i log into my personal xp account and i don't connect to the internet straight away (via speedtouch connection broadband) it doesn't work when i eventually do try to connect. This happens if i leave it for 5-10 minutes or so, if i'm writing a text document etc. A message appears saying there is an error with one of the files and i have to restart my computer to be able to connect properly.

3) This one is particularly bothering me. There is one web-page, just one that i cannot access. All i get when i try to see it is a blank screen. However i used to be able to see this web-page perfectly fine and i see no reason for this problem. I have randomly been able to see it about twice within the last month, but after which the problem has always come back. I can access the page on other computers, just not my own. The page is an online diary of one of my close friends, and it's upsetting me quite a bit that i can't read what is going on with her.

4) Sometimes if i am trying to download something e.g Windows updates, i get the message that my Active X controls aren't switched on and so the process is prohibited. However i have my security settings to default and Active X should be enabled. ???

I use Spybot and Ad-ware as well as a free version of AVG anti-virus.

I'd really appreciate some feedback and help with any of these problems, i'd be really grateful. Thankyou in advance to anyone who replies, and once again, sorry if ths isn't in the right place or if i should have posted about each issue individually.

Claire xo

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Your problems could be due to a virus/malware of some kind that isn't detected by anything you have. Do you keep them all up to date? If yes then maybe the problem is a driver fault, if not then you need to.

In any case, if you download hijackthis, ( http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html ) it will take a snapshot of your running processes and what's going on in your pc.
Unzip it to it's own folder on a permenant directory - e.g. your my documents folder, run hijackthis, click 'scan', then 'save log' when it's done, then paste the contents of the file it creates in here. Hopefully one of our experts will then be able to tell us if you have a virus.

Please DON'T fix anything yet - the log is a complete snapshot of your system, so most things will be legitimate.

Your problems could be due to a virus/malware of some kind that isn't detected by anything you have. Do you keep them all up to date? If yes then maybe the problem is a driver fault, if not then you need to.

In any case, if you download hijackthis, ( http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html ) it will take a snapshot of your running processes and what's going on in your pc.
Unzip it to it's own folder on a permenant directory - e.g. your my documents folder, run hijackthis, click 'scan', then 'save log' when it's done, then paste the contents of the file it creates in here. Hopefully one of our experts will then be able to tell us if you have a virus.

Please DON'T fix anything yet - the log is a complete snapshot of your system, so most things will be legitimate.

Thankyou for that quick response...

I do run my virus scanner regularly, the last time it didn't come up with any viruses.

Here is the hijack this log -

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 16:37:09, on 23/10/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realevent.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Claire_2\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Supastatus] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\status.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SO5 Integrator Pass Two] C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: LimeWire 4.0.8.lnk = C:\Program Files\LimeWire\LimeWire 4.0.8\LimeWire.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1098202805824
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{51B914F7-943A-4D1B-9952-A054EBC2C875}: NameServer = 195.92.195.95 195.92.195.94
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{51B914F7-943A-4D1B-9952-A054EBC2C875}: NameServer = 195.92.195.95 195.92.195.94

Does that help?

hmm a couple of things concern me but hopefully a true expert will be along soon.

Do you use Sun Star Office? because this file C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE is supposed to be in the sun staroffice folder, so it could possibly be a virus, but DON'T delete it yet just in case!

Also the limewire entry is p2p software that is a potential security risk - do you use it?

And after that I'm not sure about the nameserver entries - hopefully someone knowledgable will be able to help you out here.

hmm a couple of things concern me but hopefully a true expert will be along soon.

Do you use Sun Star Office? because this file C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE is supposed to be in the sun staroffice folder, so it could possibly be a virus, but DON'T delete it yet just in case!

Also the limewire entry is p2p software that is a potential security risk - do you use it?

And after that I'm not sure about the nameserver entries - hopefully someone knowledgable will be able to help you out here.

Yeah we have Star office, it is what the computer came with. Ideally i would like to use Microsoft word and i'm not quite sure why our computer doesn't have it but oh well.

The Limewire is a music download program my brother uses - is it best to ask him to uninstall it? or is there any way i could just shut it down in my section of the computer?

Thanks, you've been very helpful so far. As you said hopefuly someone else will have some further advice.

This is just an unrelated question but i've always been puzzled about how i can make my files (text/pictures etc) unavaible to other users sharing the computer. If i go to my user folder and click properties/sharing the 'make this folder private box' is always faded out so i cannot check it.

Sorry to add another problem! :rolleyes:

Limewire: well... if we're talking tact and diplomacy, then on the basis that it seems not to have done any damage so far you could leave it. On the other hand, it's like leaving your kitchen window open at night. Just because no-one's broken in that way yet doesn't mean no-one will in the future... So personally I wouldn't have it on my pc. If he really likes it though, tact and diplomacy might just say forget about it. You know your brother, I don't. ;)

I'll quote this from another forum I found:

why remove limewire ?
read this about a limewire user :

A lot of freeware are bad for your computer security, particularly those peer-to-peer programs like KaZaA, LimeWire, and Morpheus. These programs often install additional unwanted components such as "SpyWare". These components often remain in place even after the Peer-to-Peer program has been removed.

This happened to be because I was a music glutton. I downloaded LimeWire 4.07 and installed on my Windows XP. At first, this app seems to be quite promising fro what I wanted as a free music getter as it allows you to search for multiple files at the same time, music and programs. The sin caught up with me faster than light. I noticed that once I logged on to my DSL connection, my computer would keep sending and receiving several megabytes of packets. Making my system virtually slower than a 28.8 connection. I got quite paranoid because I have no idea what it was doing to my computer and what kind of damage has been done. I wanted to remove this piece of c*** right away. I ran "Windows Add or Remove Software" immediately in hope that this will eliminate the problem.

I was dead wrong! Even after I ran the removal software process, my net connection's still **** up. Meanwhile, my Norton Antivirus kept on finding 30+ viruses and Trojans on my system ranging from ABAP.Dosjob, Bloodhound.packed, DSO Exploit to Zyrtec.4300. Pretty much covering every letter from A-Z. I was frightened! After I have removed most of the viruses, I went and checked up on several webboards and downloaded a free trial version of NoAdware and located the process which was the source of the problem. All this went on for 8 hours from the time I got home at 8 PM to 4 AM this morning. This is crazy! I'll never install LimeWire again......It caused me more pain and trouble than other actual viruses. My suggestion to you all is "There are no such thing as free and good stuff....."

With your sharing problem, there's a couple of potential reasons.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307286
Since it's your file, I'd probably discount their first point and ask if your drive is NTFS. If you don't know, can you find out what size the drive is by going to My Computer? If it's <40GB it could be Fat32. If not it's almost def NTFS.

Another thing to check is that you havn't made the parent folder private, as that would also grey out the option.

Limewire: well... if we're talking tact and diplomacy, then on the basis that it seems not to have done any damage so far you could leave it. On the other hand, it's like leaving your kitchen window open at night. Just because no-one's broken in that way yet doesn't mean no-one will in the future... So personally I wouldn't have it on my pc. If he really likes it though, tact and diplomacy might just say forget about it. You know your brother, I don't. ;)

I'll quote this from another forum I found:

With your sharing problem, there's a couple of potential reasons.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307286
Since it's your file, I'd probably discount their first point and ask if your drive is NTFS. If you don't know, can you find out what size the drive is by going to My Computer? If it's <40GB it could be Fat32. If not it's almost def NTFS.

Another thing to check is that you havn't made the parent folder private, as that would also grey out the option.

The file size is 38.8GB and it is Fat32, however i followed the instructions via that link and when i tried to convert it came up with - "The type of the file system is Fat32. Enter current volume label for drive C."

???

I spoke to my brother about the limewire and he agreed to uninstall it. :)

Is there anyone who can help with all the other problems? I'd really appreciate it, especially with that one blank webpage i cannot see. & also tell me what to fix on the hijack this log?

*bump* Please someone help... :confused: :o

hmm sorry about that. Actually I was hoping for an expert like Crunchie to look at the Hijackthis log.
Did you make that log as admin?
The other things you might try are the trendmicro online virus scan:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
and Panda
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

But I've a funny feeling that whatever is causing your problems may not allow you to go there either.

Close all (browser) windows & rescan with hijackthis. When the scan is finished place a check in the box to the left of the following entries & click 'fix checked':

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {} - (no file)

Thats all I can see.

Cheers Crunchie.
Since it doesn't appear to be anything running on your computer, maybe there's a fault in one of your drivers - try updating at Windows Update, check for new drivers for your modem etc.

Also your drive label should show up somewhere in properties.

For your other problems... you could try accessing the site with Mozilla Firefox or something www.mozilla.org
Can you try resetting your security settings in tools -> options -> security?

Hey, i'm back again (sorry!). Thankyou for the advice. I'm running the virus checker (housecall) right now, it has yet to pick up any viruses but perhaps it will later.

Does this look okay -

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:14:07, on 05/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Claire_2\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SDWin32 Class - {5FA6752A-C4A0-4222-88C2-928AE5AB4966} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lxbvo.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Supastatus] C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\status.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SO5 Integrator Pass Two] C:\WINDOWS\SOINTGR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics] "C:\Program Files\Thomson\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe" /icon
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\E_SRCV02.EXE
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1098202805824
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{51B914F7-943A-4D1B-9952-A054EBC2C875}: NameServer = 195.92.195.94 195.92.195.95
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{51B914F7-943A-4D1B-9952-A054EBC2C875}: NameServer = 195.92.195.94 195.92.195.95

???

I also wanted to check something. I was browsing through my programs (control panel/add or remove programs) and noticed there are many running programs with the name 'Windows XP Hotfix' followed by random letters/numbers. Are these supposed to be here? I was just wondering as there were so many of them and i have no idea what they are for.

Claire x

Scan with hijackthis and tick the boxes next to all the following entries, then close all browser and explorer windows, and hit the "Fix checked" button.

O2 - BHO: SDWin32 Class - {5FA6752A-C4A0-4222-88C2-928AE5AB4966} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\lxbvo.dll

Those Hotfixes are your Microsoft Updates. Both XP and IE need to have at least service pack 1 installed too.

im having problems with singing in to messenger7.0 it keeps telling me unable to sign in 870072ee7 what does this mean

:cry: im having problems with singing in to messenger7.0 it keeps telling me unable to sign in 870072ee7 what does this mean

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.