I'm trying to help a friend who's computer is in trouble.
Initially, everytime he wrote the word 'sex' in his computer, it rebooted. So in Word, IE, Firefox, Cubase, anything. Also in searching for spyware/malware removers it also reboot.
I went round to his house and downloaded a generic windows spyware/maleware remover (not remembering the name of the malewarebytes software). and installed.
On completion of scan the software automatically deleted any problem viruses/files.
and immeadiatly afterwards was fine, we checked with various essays he had previously saved with the term 'sex' in, and various songs (he had saved in cubase).
When we reboot however, Bigger Problems.
No desktop icons, and No task bar.
Ctrl alt del works to open anything, but there is still a problem.
Now I tried downloading Malewarebytes, AVG, and HJT, and none of them load. For maleware and HJT there are error messages pertaining to registry or .DLL files missing, and for AVG is says that he needs to upgrade from windows 2000 service pack 5 (i think) when he has XP SP1.
Have browsed around, and various forums suggest;
Safe mode System restore (doestnt work)
download RegisryFIx (cost money and others suggest it doesnt work)
PC CILLIN bug (He doesn't have Pc cillin).

Please Help.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

can you use the trend micro house call at all if not it could be a super virus that replaces your windows xp with something that looks and feels like its windows xp but just rewrote your computer and acts as tho its windows xp

Removed.

OK, wierd replies......

Pls do the following:

1. - Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

2. - Download hijackthis and post the log.

In your reply, post the logs (in this order):
1. - Malware Bytes Log
2. - Hijackthis Log

Thanks,

Cohen

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.