So ive been wanting to re-vamp my computer for a while, but logged on today to find that explorer wasnt even starting up. I manually started it though the task manager and got my main interface up and running, but about 70% of my programs wont even open. I then said 'what the hell, ill just re-vamp it now' but none of my virus programs will open, none of my system restore programs will open, and when i click my C: to format it it says it cant because things are still using it. The command prompt also wont open, nor will the MSCONFIG screen. My main goal is to just wipe the slate clean, but i dont know how to do that if none of my programs open :( Ive tried running in safe mode too, but that doesnt work either for it does the same things. Anyone have any more ideas??

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, do you have an extra USB flash drive/memory card?
If so, then use another computer to download HijackThis
and copy the file onto the memory card/flash drive.
Now go to your malfunctioning computer and insert the the flash drive and then double click on it.
After it starts, click on, Do a system scan and save a logfile .
After the scan completes, paste the contents of the notepad file displayed to you here.
If it does not open, upload the file to FileHippo and place the download link here for me :)

Tried doing that just now, the program on the flash drive still wont open :(
Also found a sony recovery CD that im going to try, even though my computer is a gateway...hopefully ill have some luck with that. Any other suggesstions?

Are you still with me?
Can you tell me what exactly you had done before the computer got into this state?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.