I have the go.google virus - or whatever its name is. From reading the others' threads, I think I should start this new one as I read that each computer is different. What is my first step? I use Windows XP.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Hi and welcome to the Daniweb forums :).

==========

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

====

1. Download SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users:
http://www.superantispyware.com/

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here: http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html.)
* Close SUPERAntiSpyware.

PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET

Restart computer in Safe Mode.
To enter Safe Mode, restart computer, and keep tapping F8 key, until menu appears; select Safe Mode; you'll see "Safe Mode" in all four corners of your screen

* Open SUPERAntiSpyware.
* Under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
- Close browsers before scanning.
- Scan for tracking cookies.
- Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the Close button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click Next to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click OK.
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click Next.
* A notification will appear that Quarantine and Removal is Complete. Click OK and then click the Finish button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click Yes.
* To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
- Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
- Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
- If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
- Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.

* Click Close to exit the program.
Post SUPERAntiSpyware log.
NOTE: Tracking cookies can be omitted from the log.

RECONNECT TO THE INTERNET

Thank you Crunchie for the reply. Below is my HJT logfile. However when I try to use your http://www.superantispyware.com/ or http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html links, I receive the "fail to connect" to these websites. I receive that message when trying to connect to various websites relating to downloading antivirus or spyware tools. Also, not sure if this is important, but my computer will randomly restart itself - this is my second time replying back do to an earlier restart.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 9:56:10 AM, on 11/16/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9EA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\rapimgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\hello\hello.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin\ASKSBAR.DLL (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Display Settings] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\hptasks.exe /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9EA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX6600"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -onlytray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\Ad-Watch2007.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CARPService] carpserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QT4HPOT] C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [brastk] brastk.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [brastk] C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [brastk] C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - S-1-5-18 Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - .DEFAULT Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - .DEFAULT User Startup: AutoTBar.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\QWDLLS.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.hp.com
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1163651995806
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1163651980504
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: karna.dat
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: HP Configuration Interface Service (HPConfig) - Hewlett-Packard - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE (file missing)

--
End of file - 7155 bytes

Download
SDFix
and save it to your desktop.

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the
following :

• Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
    Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
  • Choose your usual account.
  • In Safe Mode, right click the SDFix.zip folder and choose Extract
    All
  • Open the extracted folder and double click RunThis.bat to
    start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the script.
  • It will remove the Trojan Services then make some repairs to the
    registry and prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • Your system will take longer that normal to restart as the fixtool
    will be running and removing files.
  • When the desktop loads the Fixtool will complete the removal and
    display Finished, then press any key to end the script and load
    your desktop icons.
  • Finally open the SDFix folder on your desktop and copy and paste the
    contents of the results file Report.txt back onto the forum with
    a new HijackThis log.

Please post the SDFix log within CODE Tags.

Crunchie - I receive the same "failed to connect" when I click on your SDFix link. I think this virus blocks websites with downloads related to fixing viruses and spyware. Is there another way??

I am at work now and do not have any of my links with me. Do a Google search for HostsXpert and install it. Have it reset to the original M$ Hosts list and try again to get sdfix.

Ok, I followed your steps:
First, I found a site with a link for HostsXpert, downloaded HostsXpert.exe to desktop and opened the program. I then found "Restore MS Hosts File" under the 'File Handling' section and clicked on it. This action changed some of the content in the large window to the right. I then searched again for SDFix - which seems available only through downloads.andymanchesta.com
Well, no luck. I still receive the same "can't establish a connection to the server at downloads.andymanchesta.com"

Please forgive me if I've left out an important details - I guess I'm one of your typical newbies. 1) I have been using Firefox as my browser - not IE. 2) As per Daniweb instructions before posting this thread I downloaded MBAM. Although the virus would NOT allow me to DL it from a typical downloading site (i.e. www.malwarebytes.org) I was able to DL it to my desktop through CNET -- maybe there links are immune to this virus?? 3) the only way I can navigate to a website through a google or yahoo search is to copy the URL (as opposed to just clicking the link) then paste it into the address bar. But some sites, like andymanchesta.com or malwarebytes.org fail to connect.

Update MBAM and do a full system scan and delete what is found.
Post the log.

Crunchie, I ran MBAM. Their are two logs. I will post them here. BTW, after MBAM finished, it asked me to restart computer so that all objects found could be deleted. So I restarted. Hope that is okay; here are the two logs:

1)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/17/2008 6:04:05 PM
mbam-log-2008-11-17 (18-03-56).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 134568
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 15

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPAskSBr.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\brastk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\brastk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\ -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: system32\ -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\DivoCodec (Trojan.Downloader) -> No action taken.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPAskSBr.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\Program Files\Bitcollider\bitcoll.dll (Adware.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\beep.sys (Fake.Beep.Sys) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wini10802.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSbrsr.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSkkdu.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSlxwp.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSriqp.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSxfum.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action taken.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action taken.

2)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1306
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/17/2008 6:04:14 PM
mbam-log-2008-11-17 (18-04-14).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 134568
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 15

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPAskSBr.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\tdss (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\brastk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\brastk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\ -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Trojan.Agent) -> Data: system32\ -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\DivoCodec (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\NPAskSBr.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Program Files\Bitcollider\bitcoll.dll (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\beep.sys (Fake.Beep.Sys) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wini10802.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSbrsr.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSkkdu.log (Trojan.TDSS) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSlxwp.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSoiqh.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSriqp.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSxfum.dll (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Beautiful work wotis - it has done a lot of work!

Pls post a fresh HJT (hijackthis log)

Thanks,

Cohen

Thanks Crunchie! So far computer seems to be working better, but here is the HJT log:

Scan saved at 7:55:59 PM, on 11/17/2008

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - C:\Program Files\AskSBar\bar\1.bin\ASKSBAR.DLL (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Display Settings] C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\hptasks.exe /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATI9EA.EXE /P26 "EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX6600"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCSuiteTrayApplication] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe -onlytray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\Ad-Watch2007.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BackupNotify] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\backupnotify.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\wcescomm.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" AcRdB7_0_9 -reboot 1
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send to &Bluetooth Device... - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-12650 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1163651995806
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1163651980504
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: karna.dat
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: HP Configuration Interface Service (HPConfig) - Hewlett-Packard - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE (file missing)

--
End of file - 6942 bytes

I read somewhere that the Karna.dat was a virus or spyware... is that true? I still see it in the log...hopefully its nothing.

I read somewhere that the Karna.dat was a virus or spyware... is that true? I still see it in the log...hopefully its nothing.

It most cases, dat files are very bad, and Anti Virus software picks them up and always removes them.....

But view more information here :)

Cohen

Cohen, thank you for that information. Now I am concerned. What most concerns me about karna.dat is that it showed up in my HJT logfile even after I had run the MBAM. Running the MBAM seems to have worked so far. Even after restarting my computer twice, the go.google problem seems to be eliminated. I am just waiting to hear back from Crunchie and see what I should do next.

Try again for SDFix and run it in safe mode. I am pretty certain that it targets that file.

Ok, I DL'd SDFix, ran it in Safe Mode and here is the logfile:

[b]SDFix: Version 1.240 [/b]
Run by Administrator on Mon 11/17/2008 at 11:38 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

[b]Checking Services [/b]:

[b]Name [/b]: 
TDSSserv.sys

[b]Path [/b]:
\systemroot\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sys 

TDSSserv.sys - Deleted

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

[b]Checking Files [/b]: 

Trojan Files Found:

C:\DOCUME~1\WARREN~1\COOKIES\IMIFEW.DLL - Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\WARREN~1\COOKIES\HOXEQY~1.DL - Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\WARREN~1\COOKIES\JOWONE.SCR - Deleted
C:\Program Files\Common Files\eduk._sy - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\av.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\TDSSpqlt.sys - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TDSSorvd.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TDSSORVD.dat - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

[b]ADS Check [/b]:

[b]Final Check [/b]:

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, [url]http://www.gmer.net[/url]
Rootkit scan 2008-11-17 23:55:22
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

[b]Remaining Services [/b]:

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\LimeWire\\LimeWire.exe:*:Enabled:LimeWire"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! FT Server"
"C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe:*:Enabled:æTorrent"
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe:*:Enabled:iTunes"
"C:\\Program Files\\MySpace\\IM\\MySpaceIM.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MySpace\\IM\\MySpaceIM.exe:*:Enabled:MySpaceIM"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\rapimgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\rapimgr.exe:169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0:Enabled:ActiveSync RAPI Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\wcescomm.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\wcescomm.exe:169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0:Enabled:ActiveSync Connection Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\WCESMgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\WCESMgr.exe:169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0:Enabled:ActiveSync Application"
"C:\\Program Files\\FrostWire\\FrostWire.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\FrostWire\\FrostWire.exe:*:Enabled:FrostWire"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\rapimgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\rapimgr.exe:169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0:Enabled:ActiveSync RAPI Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\wcescomm.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\wcescomm.exe:169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0:Enabled:ActiveSync Connection Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\WCESMgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft ActiveSync\\WCESMgr.exe:169.254.2.0/255.255.255.0:Enabled:ActiveSync Application"

[b]Remaining Files [/b]:

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

[b]Files with Hidden Attributes [/b]:

Tue 22 Apr 2008       625,664 A.SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
Sun 13 Apr 2008     1,695,232 ..SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"
Sun 13 Apr 2008        60,416 A.SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
Mon 21 May 2007         4,348 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Thu 31 May 2007             0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv02.tmp"
Sat  8 Oct 2005        20,480 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Warren Messer\Desktop\Work\~WRL0002.tmp"
Sat  8 Oct 2005        20,480 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Warren Messer\Desktop\Work\~WRL0004.tmp"
Sat  8 Oct 2005        20,480 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Warren Messer\Desktop\Work\~WRL0005.tmp"
Sat  8 Oct 2005        21,504 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Warren Messer\Desktop\Work\~WRL1937.tmp"
Sat  8 Oct 2005        20,480 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Warren Messer\Desktop\Work\~WRL2903.tmp"

[b]Finished![/b]

Well, how does it look? Could it be that I am cured??

See if you can locate karna.dat and delete it if found. Fix the line in hijackthis with karna.dat in it, reboot and post a new hijackthis log.

Crunchie - I ran HJT and "fixed" the Karna.dat line item. After rebooting, I ran HJT again and I dont see karna anymore. How does it look to you?

Oops. here is the HJT report post restart:

Scan saved at 11:03:50 AM, on 11/18/2008

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

--
End of file - 7002 bytes

It most cases, dat files are very bad, and Anti Virus software picks them up and always removes them.....

Cohen

This is not true. They are NOT all bad and an anti-virus program will NOT always pick them up and NOT always remove them, especially if it is associated with a Trojan since anti-virus programs very often will not pick up a Trojan and remove it. Some Trojans yes, but most no, because they are not viruses. This is why specialized programs usually must be used in Trojan removal.
Virtually all applications create ".dat" files that don't really tell you anything about the file, what it contains, or what program it belongs to. There is no standard format, and there is no standard way to interpret the contents. ".dat" is only a name indicating that the file contains data nothing more. Lot's of IM programs use .dat files to keep a message history file. many anti-virus programs create thier own .dat file. This shows that not all .dat files are bad and not all .dat files will be picked up and removed by and anti-virus program.

Problem with .dat files is that they can only be opened with the program which created it and much of the time there is no discernible indication of what program created the file.
You very often times CAN delete a .dat file, but if the program that created it is still on the computer then it will create a new .dat file to replace the deleted one. That is why you must remove the creating program too.
Very often legitimate program will create .dat files when they are used and many are set up to get rid of the old ones and replace them with new ones. Not all programs will do this but some of them will.
The reason the poster was able to remove that karma.dat this time was because crunchie had the poster run SDFix, which removed the offending application so the karma.dat was no longer tied to anything and it could be removed as crunchie instructed.

jholland1964 - very informative and interesting. I see now why following certain steps is necessary to ridding the computer of the entire problem. I hope am okay now. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again

You're welcome. Just hated the idea of folks reading this "running" through their computers deleting all the .dat files they found when that wouldn't always be necessary or even successful, as you found.
Glad all is working well.
Judy

Scan with HijackThis and then place a check next to all the following, if present:

Now, close all instances of Internet Explorer and any other windows you have open except HiJackThis, click "Fix checked".

==

• Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Software icon > add/remove programs.
  • Search in the list for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... )
  • Select it and click Remove.
  • Then Download and install the newest version from here:
  • http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

==

All looks good now :)

Crunchie, thanks for everything. You are wonderful. Just to be sure I didn't miss something I will post my HJT log here for your review. If all is well then I thank you again so much.

Scan saved at 5:49:55 PM, on 11/18/2008

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe

O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--
End of file - 6717 bytes

Congratulations! Your log looks clean.

===============

Now that your PC is clean you need to follow these easy steps to keeping it this way:

Download CCleaner and install, then run it. It will clear out your temp folders.

1. Uncheck "Cookies" under "Internet Explorer".
  2. Click on Run Cleaner in the lower right-hand corner. This can take quite a while to run.
  3. Close when finished.

====

An alternative to Ccleaner is ATF Cleaner.
Download ATF (Atribune Temp File) Cleaner by Atribune to your desktop.

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it.

Under Main choose:
Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache

*The other boxes are optional*
Then click the Empty Selected button.

Firefox:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Opera:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

====

Use an alternative browser! Download FireFox and give it a run. It is far more secure than Internet Explorer. Or, you can get Opera, which in my opinion, is better still.

====

Use a firewall. It is an essential part of your computers security. There is a link to a good, free firewall in my signature.

====

Install and keep updated,
Spybot S&D.
Run it on a regular basis, following the maker's recommendations.

====

Install an anti-virus. There are some good, free AV's available today. Make sure that it is updated regularly and have it scan your system often.

====

Check for Windows Updates. Microsoft regularly post updates for your systems safe running. Make sure to take advantage of this. Reboot when installed and return to make sure there are no others.

=====

For XP users.
After something like this it is a good idea to Flush the Restore Points and start fresh.
To flush the XP system Restore Points.

Go to Start | Run and type msconfig and press enter.

When msconfig opens, click the Launch System Restore Button.
On the next page, click the System Restore Settings link on the left.

Check the box labelled 'Turn off System restore'.

Reboot. Go back in and Turn System Restore Back on. A new Restore Point will be created.

Note that all previous restore points will be lost.

===============

Please mark this thread as solved if all is well.

If you have any more problems, post back.

-

Happy surfing,

crunchie.

Crunchie - thanks again. I will try your suggestions. You are the best!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.