I am using a compaq laptop, with multiple OS-- win xp pro and ubuntu.

My laptop has recently been sabotaged. And now when I boot it and choose win xp OS, this following error message come up:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

When I reboot it with my xp boot CD, after loading the installation file, it does not go to the selection screen. Instead, an error message appears, saying the system shut to prevent further damage, and there might be a virus, and suggesting me to run chkdsk.....
And the system stop, I need to manually turn it off.

Since I cannot use boot disk to do any repair from windows, I get stuck here.

If I go to ubuntu (I have multiple OS), I can see the system file in c drive. But the c drive folder does not show on ubuntu desktop, I need to use 'System Monitor' to see them.

So i know my c drive is still there, but I can reach them and there is probably a virus.

Is there a way to clean the virus and fix it from the ubuntu?

Any advise will be appreciated.

bill

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Tks for the advise. Unfortunately I can't even run recovery console. When I run the boot disk, after loading the installation files, it does not go to the Setup screen; instead, this message appears:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical Information:
XXX STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And my computer stops.
So I can't run Windows and I can't reboot to repair.

Is there other possible solution?

Bill

are you having problems with Linux too? also when you load the windows xp dsik after the main fills are loaded you want to hit r to goto the recovery console. do you have an oringinal windows xp disk?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.