Member Avatar
plastered
Junior Poster in Training
67 posts since Jan 2009
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hi,

I had to recently uninstall my AV and when I try to reinstall it, it does install but when I click on the icon nothing happens. In addition to that, my internet service is gone into super slow motion too. Taking quite a while to open pages etc. I am also not able to run Malware antimalware, HJT and also unable to use online scanner.

Please advice.

Member Avatar
gerbil
Industrious Poster
4,624 posts since May 2005
Reputation Points: 190 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 338 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 5 [?]

Which AV. Some, eg, Norton, AVG, require a special uninstaller tool to be run. The slowness is most likely due to a confused AV installation - all file activity, traffic is monitored by the AV.

Member Avatar
aashishn86
Junior Poster
184 posts since Jun 2008
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]

Hi,

I had to recently uninstall my AV and when I try to reinstall it, it does install but when I click on the icon nothing happens. In addition to that, my internet service is gone into super slow motion too. Taking quite a while to open pages etc. I am also not able to run Malware antimalware, HJT and also unable to use online scanner.

Please advice.

see this thread...
similar problem

i have the same problem, its resolved to some extent but i am going to be doing all this soon....

Member Avatar
gerbil
Industrious Poster

..or perhaps you installed the AV into an infected system, or perhaps you have become infected with some malware which your AV does not detect.
Tell which AV you uninstalled.

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

My apologies, I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

Member Avatar
gerbil
Industrious Poster

Good-oh. You might try running the correct removal tool from this site, and then attempt to reinstall KIS.
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463
Good luck. And please come back if that does not solve your problem.

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

Hi,

I ran the uninstaller. But it does not detect that KIS is installed. This is peculiar because my Windows Security Alert tells me that the Antivirus and the firewall are switched off.

So reinstalled and then used the remover to uninstall the software only to get the same description from the Windows Security Alert. Also I noticed that there are no restore points available for System Restore!

Member Avatar
gerbil
Industrious Poster

Okay. It does look like a few keys in registry are not being cleaned, and Windows Security is picking up on them. More worrying is the inability to run anti-malware scans, loss of restore points. Let's try a couple in safe mode as an initial check:
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you... do not click the Save Logfile button.
When it completes examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Post the Notepad log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

MBAM can still be installed and updated without a connection. Using a flashdrive on another system, download & save the installer file from http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebyt...are_d5756.html, then dl the latest updates file: http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/database.jsp , both to a thumbdrive.
Run the installer, when it completes uncheck the Launch and Update boxes to finish. Next, dclick the mbam-rules.exe file, it will install into MBAM.
Start MBAM via the icon and ...

==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then... rename hijackthis.exe to imabunny.exe
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

Tried the steps, but the application do not execute at all. When I click on the icons to run the application there is no changes at all except for the hourglass appearing for a couple of seconds.

I had the Task Manager up when I was trying to run these applications but on clicking them there is no response in the Task Manager, no sign of a new process at all.

Member Avatar
aashishn86
Junior Poster
184 posts since Jun 2008
Q&As Helped to Solve: 9 [?]

hey
try running dr web as asked in that link i posted once...
may be it'll help
it did help me...

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

I ran the software and it did find few trojans, four to be exact. One was Killbit, ubi81 in the temp folder, and two dll files with long names in the System32 folder.

Said that, it still hasnt improved the situation. I am still unable to run MBAM n HJT.

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

@ aashishn86

the reply was in response to your suggestion.

@ gerbil

I was able to run Panda Online Security Scan. I am attaching the log along.

Attachments ActiveScan.txt (8.58KB)
Member Avatar
crunchie
Most Valuable Poster
13,079 posts since Feb 2004
Reputation Points: 990 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1,031 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

Open Device Manager and on the VIEW Tab, select the Show hidden devices option.
Go down to non plug and play drivers and see if there is one called TDSSserv and disable it.

==

Reboot and try running mba-m again.

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

The option TDSSserv is not available in DM.

Member Avatar
crunchie
Most Valuable Poster
Team Colleague
Featured

I will assume that under the show hidden devices option, you couldn't find the driver named TDSSserv.

Please download ComboFix by sUBs from HERE or HERE

• You must download it to and run it from your Desktop
  • Physically disconnect from the internet.
  • Now STOP all your monitoring programs (Antivirus/Antispyware, Guards and Shields) as they could easily interfere with ComboFix.
  • Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • When finished, it will produce a log. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log
  • Re-enable all the programs that were disabled during the running of ComboFix..

Note:
Do not mouse-click combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Run Combofix ONCE only!!

Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

Yes, there was no TDSSserv drive in the DM.

I ran the CF tool but nothing happened no windows popped up nothing. I had my internet connection switched off too. To get back online I had to restart the computer.

Member Avatar
crunchie
Most Valuable Poster
Team Colleague
Featured

• Click START then RUN

• Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

• CF_cleanup.png

Please download ComboFix by sUBs from HERE or HERE You must rename combofix BEFORE saving it to your pc.

CF_download_rename.gif
You must download it to and run it from your Desktop
Physically disconnect from the internet.
Now STOP all your monitoring programs (Antivirus/Antispyware, Guards and Shields) as they could easily interfere with ComboFix.
Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
When finished, it will produce a log. Please save that log to post in your next reply along with a fresh HJT log
Re-enable all the programs that were disabled during the running of ComboFix..
Note:
Do not mouse-click combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.

CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Attachments CF_cleanup.png 6.78KB CF_download_rename.gif 19.12KB
Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

I followed the steps and the results are attached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You should be awarded The Nobel Prize!

Attachments CF_LOG.txt (19.84KB) HJT_Log.txt (6.18KB)
Member Avatar
plastered
67 posts since Jan 2009

I also did a MBAM scan and the log is attached.

I tried to reinstall the Anti virus software - Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and was successful, said that I am unable to download updates and access any webpages. Although utorrent downloads the files in queue with our any problem.

I uninstalled KIS 2009 and I was able to browse the internet again. Assuming some problem with the Installation file, I tried to install Windows One Live Care and failed as it could not download the update. I then tried to install AVG and was successful but again I was unable to update the software and lost the browsing functionality. I currently have no security system running.

Attachments MBAM_Log.txt (0.97KB)
Member Avatar
crunchie
Most Valuable Poster
Team Colleague
Featured

I will go through your combofix log when I get home from work. You need to paste it (and all your logs) into your reply rather than attach them.
MBA-M is about a year out of date. Update it and run it again please.

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article