i keep getting these pop up notifications with the red badge and white X on the bottom right of my computer.

it won't allow me to open up any websites in Explorer. it also won't allow me to run any of my anti-virus and ad-aware software as if it's blocking it.

i need help.

thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 28 Replies

Try running your anti-virus in Safe Mode.

You know you all ready have two threads which are not complete:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread237635-2.html

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread242629.html

Is this the same computer? If so you absolutely MUST complete all steps given to you, post back with results and then wait for the computer to be deemed clean and the thread marked solved. This problem you are experiencing now could be a result of the infections shown in the first thread above. I would recommend that you go back through the steps in that first thread and post the results of the newest scans here and plan to stick with this until you are told that the computer is showing clean.

Try running your anti-virus in Safe Mode.

You know you all ready have two threads which are not complete:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread237635-2.html

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread242629.html

Is this the same computer? If so you absolutely MUST complete all steps given to you, post back with results and then wait for the computer to be deemed clean and the thread marked solved. This problem you are experiencing now could be a result of the infections shown in the first thread above. I would recommend that you go back through the steps in that first thread and post the results of the newest scans here and plan to stick with this until you are told that the computer is showing clean.

the first thread is the same computer...the second thread is another computer. i ran the Malwarebytes scan but i can't post the log to this thread yet because i'm now having internet connectivity issues. when i try to run the diagnostics, i get a message that says:

"Windows cannot connect to the Internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer. Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21). You might need to contact your ISP or the manufacturer of your firewall software."

Try turning off the firewall.
Since this is the same computer as the one with the AntivirusPro infection and you never completed that one I would say there is a chance the computer was not fully cleaned or the updates completed at that time if they all were done then you should have posted back one more time with at least a new HJT log so PP could have absolutely said the computer was clean and safely protected.

Try turning off the firewall.
Since this is the same computer as the one with the AntivirusPro infection and you never completed that one I would say there is a chance the computer was not fully cleaned or the updates completed at that time if they all were done then you should have posted back one more time with at least a new HJT log so PP could have absolutely said the computer was clean and safely protected.

I turned off the firewall and tried to open up Explorer again. no luck. still getting invalid address page

I turned off the firewall and tried to open up Explorer again. no luck. still getting invalid address page

You mean Internet Explorer I assume. Explorer isn't a browser.
You obviously have another computer since you are posting here. Can you download MBA-M install file to that computer, put it on a flash drive or cd and bring it to the infected computer and run it?

You mean Internet Explorer I assume. Explorer isn't a browser.
You obviously have another computer since you are posting here. Can you download MBA-M install file to that computer, put it on a flash drive or cd and bring it to the infected computer and run it?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.43
Database version: 3458
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/3/2010 8:21:10 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-03 (20-21-10).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 210298
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 51 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Charlene\Local Settings\Application Data\orrwus\yapxsysguard.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{afd4ad01-58c1-47db-a404-fbe00a6c5486} (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\AvScan (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{ec59f84c-6e56-434a-aa39-ed4b1c8df63a} (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\arluywxt (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\arluywxt (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Charlene\Local Settings\Application Data\orrwus\yapxsysguard.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Shared\lib.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Shared\lib.sig (Adware.Deepdive) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\default32.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.

Have you been able to reboot the computer? If so can you now download, install and run HiJackThis. Save the log and post it back here.

Have you been able to reboot the computer? If so can you now download, install and run HiJackThis. Save the log and post it back here.

i can reboot the computer but again, Internet Explorer isn't allowing me to open any websites even with the firewall off.

If you didn't reboot the computer then MBA-M has not finished cleaning. Look at the log....

C:\WINDOWS\default32.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.

If you are not rebooting the computer then the infection will not be removed.
The choice is yours. Since you won't follow instructions then the computer will not be cleaned.
You can easily download HJT to the other computer and install it on the infected one. Each instruction given must be followed to the letter. Instructions for MBA-M are very clear....Remove all found and REBOOT the computer. If you have not done so then the infection will continue to download onto the computer. MBA-M needs to remove some infected files BEFORE all other files are loaded or it cannot remove the infection.
You didn't complete instructions on your earlier thread and you seem not to want to do it now. If you will not follow instructions exactly then we cannot help clean the computer.

If you didn't reboot the computer then MBA-M has not finished cleaning. Look at the log....

If you are not rebooting the computer then the infection will not be removed.
The choice is yours. Since you won't follow instructions then the computer will not be cleaned.
You can easily download HJT to the other computer and install it on the infected one. Each instruction given must be followed to the letter. Instructions for MBA-M are very clear....Remove all found and REBOOT the computer. If you have not done so then the infection will continue to download onto the computer. MBA-M needs to remove some infected files BEFORE all other files are loaded or it cannot remove the infection.
You didn't complete instructions on your earlier thread and you seem not to want to do it now. If you will not follow instructions exactly then we cannot help clean the computer.

i rebooted immediately after the scan. my previous post stated i can reboot but i can't get on to Internet Explorer. the log i posted was after the scan. it will show "C:\WINDOWS\default32.dll (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot."
do you want me to rerun the scan again so it doesn't say Delete on reboot?

i'm following your instructions. please be patient since i'm not an expert on this kind of stuff. i'm trying my best to follow and i appreciate you trying to help me.

how do i download HJT on my good computer and install it on the infected computer?

nevermind i figured it out. here's the HJT log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:39:34 AM, on 1/4/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Auto Update\RIMAutoUpdate.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\1XConfig.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-yie8
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=%s
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O1 - Hosts: 91.212.127.227 winsecure2009.microsoft.com
O1 - Hosts: 91.212.127.227 winsecure2009.com
O1 - Hosts: 91.212.127.227 www.winsecure2009.com
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.4.4525.1752\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BlackBerryAutoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Auto Update\RIMAutoUpdate.exe /background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McENUI] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MHN\McENUI.exe /hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Omnipage] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE\opware32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_60D6097707281E79.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20061205/qtinstall.info.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6F750202-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Kodak Gallery Easy Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_2/axofupld.cab
O16 - DPF: {A30FBBDC-FA29-4606-8565-14AADCCA6708} (Rite Aid One Hour Photo Online Control) - https://photos.riteaid.com/control/RiteAidOneHourPhotoOnline.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {E9A7F56F-C40F-4928-8C6F-7A72F2A25222} (AxRUploadControl Object) - http://www.imagestation.com/common/classes/SonyISUpload.cab?v=1,0,0,37
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {ec59f84c-6e56-434a-aa39-ed4b1c8df63a} - (no file)
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: MBackMonitor - McAfee - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

--
End of file - 12265 bytes

Good! I see you posted the log while I was typing my other reply, I removed that because of the log showing. Do the following:

Run HiJackThis again. Place check marks next to the following entries:
O18 - Filter hijack: text/html - {ec59f84c-6e56-434a-aa39-ed4b1c8df63a} - (no file)

After you have placed the checkmarks click the Fix Checked button. Exit HJT.

Reboot, then see if you can use Internet Explorer.
You do need to update MBA-M and run it again.
I also see you have both McAfee and Symantec on the computer....you should only have ONE antivirus program on the computer. This can be a good reason for the infections in the first place. Please Uninstall one of them immediately.

What you will need to do after updating and running MBA-M again is of course Remove All items found. Reboot. Then run a new HJT scan. Post back here with both of those logs.
Judy.

Good! I see you posted the log while I was typing my other reply, I removed that because of the log showing. Do the following:

Run HiJackThis again. Place check marks next to the following entries:

After you have placed the checkmarks click the Fix Checked button. Exit HJT.

Reboot, then see if you can use Internet Explorer.
You do need to update MBA-M and run it again.
I also see you have both McAfee and Symantec on the computer....you should only have ONE antivirus program on the computer. This can be a good reason for the infections in the first place. Please Uninstall one of them immediately.

Ok,

i reran HJT and selected the items you listed above. i clicked Fix Checked and exited HJT. i rebooted and tried to run Internet Explorer again but with no success.
also, i do not see Symantec in my Add/Remove programs list. How else do i search for the program and any related files so i can delete the entire program from my computer?

Thanks

Download this Norton Removal Tool to your desktop and run it. Symantec/Norton items should be removed.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Exactly what happens when you try to run Internet Explorer? Have you checked to be certain it is not set to Offline Mode?
Open IE, go to File and be sure there is NO check mark in Work Offline.
Please run a new HJT scan and post back with the new log.
Judy

Download this Norton Removal Tool to your desktop and run it. Symantec/Norton items should be removed.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Exactly what happens when you try to run Internet Explorer? Have you checked to be certain it is not set to Offline Mode?
Open IE, go to File and be sure there is NO check mark in Work Offline.
Please run a new HJT scan and post back with the new log.
Judy

when i try to run IE, it doesn't connect. the window displayed says, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". i noticed at the bottom left of the page it has some sort of address with a "dnserror". i checked the Offline Mode and it's unchecked.

i think i removed norton symantec. here is the HJT log after removal and reboot:

Scan saved at 8:40:51 PM, on 1/4/2010

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvp.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.yahoo.com/?fr=fp-yie8
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=%s
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo!
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.4.4525.1752\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO - {B164E929-A1B6-4A06-B104-2CD0E90A88FF} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor Toolbar - {0EBBBE48-BAD4-4B4C-8E5A-516ABECAE064} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWireless\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BlackBerryAutoUpdate] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Auto Update\RIMAutoUpdate.exe /background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Aim6] "C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe" /d locale=en-US ee://aol/imApp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 Quick Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\ONENOTEM.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Google Sidewiki... - res://C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_60D6097707281E79.dll/cmsidewiki.html
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://a1540.g.akamai.net/7/1540/52/20061205/qtinstall.info.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6F750202-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Kodak Gallery Easy Upload Manager Class) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_2/axofupld.cab
O16 - DPF: {A30FBBDC-FA29-4606-8565-14AADCCA6708} (Rite Aid One Hour Photo Online Control) - https://photos.riteaid.com/control/RiteAidOneHourPhotoOnline.cab
O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {E9A7F56F-C40F-4928-8C6F-7A72F2A25222} (AxRUploadControl Object) - http://www.imagestation.com/common/classes/SonyISUpload.cab?v=1,0,0,37
O18 - Protocol: dssrequest - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O18 - Protocol: sacore - {5513F07E-936B-4E52-9B00-067394E91CC5} - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcieplg.dll
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: MBackMonitor - McAfee - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\McSACore.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Yahoo! Updater (YahooAUService) - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\SoftwareUpdate\YahooAUService.exe

--
End of file - 11935 bytes

Run HiJackThis again and put check marks next to the following entries:

Then click the Fix Checked button. Exit HJT. Reboot the computer.
Do you use AOL Instant Messaging?

Run HiJackThis again and put check marks next to the following entries:

Then click the Fix Checked button. Exit HJT. Reboot the computer.
Do you use AOL Instant Messaging?

ok, that seemed to work as far as Internet Explorer.
as far as AOL Instant Messenger, yes i use it sometimes

Scan saved at 9:54:01 PM, on 1/4/2010

Running processes:
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

--
End of file - 11769 bytes

So, IE is now connecting ok?

So, IE is now connecting ok?

Yes, I'm using the infected computer and using IE to reply to the thread

If you feel all is ok then you can mark this one solved.
Judy

commented: Another solid result from DW's AV gurus :) +18

If you feel all is ok then you can mark this one solved.
Judy

is there anything else i need to do in regards to the wscntfy.exe alert?

also, when i was getting this virus a portable hard drive was connected to the laptop. is there a need to scan the portable drive?

is there anything else i need to do in regards to the wscntfy.exe alert?

also, when i was getting this virus a portable hard drive was connected to the laptop. is there a need to scan the portable drive?

Well now you have me very confused. You said the computer was running ok, now you are saying you are still getting the pop up notifications with the red badge and white X? What do the notifications say?
There is a good chance yes, that the portable hard drive may be infected so it would have to be cleaned also using the same steps. I wish you had told me all this earlier, I thought the security alert pop ups had stopped and there was no more problem, you didn't say anything about still receiving these.
What exactly do these pop up alerts say...word for word please.

Well now you have me very confused. You said the computer was running ok, now you are saying you are still getting the pop up notifications with the red badge and white X? What do the notifications say?
There is a good chance yes, that the portable hard drive may be infected so it would have to be cleaned also using the same steps. I wish you had told me all this earlier, I thought the security alert pop ups had stopped and there was no more problem, you didn't say anything about still receiving these.
What exactly do these pop up alerts say...word for word please.

wait a minute.....my initial post said that i was getting the popups with the red badge and white X. but all that stuff is gone after you walked me through the removal process. i'm no longer receiving popups.

in regards to my portable harddrive, i just wanted to ask you if i should check that as well since it was connected at the same time i was getting the initial popups and alerts.

sorry i should have mentioned that in the very beginning. so what should i do now with the portable harddrive?

Whew! You really had me worried there that you were still having the problems with those pop-ups.
Depending on whether you have things on this portable hard drive that you want to save you could either wipe it entirely or go through the same steps we did on the main computer but do them on that portable drive. That would be scanning the drive with MBA-M to begin with. You would hook the drive up, then open MBA-M, update it and choose Full Scan. When you do that you should get the option of what drives to scan, of course choose "C" drive, your main drive but also choose that portable drive. Let it do the scan, which will take longer than before because more than one drive will be scanned and when the scan is finished Remove All items found. The scanning with HiJackThis wouldn't be needed as it doesn't scan portable drives.

Whew! You really had me worried there that you were still having the problems with those pop-ups.
Depending on whether you have things on this portable hard drive that you want to save you could either wipe it entirely or go through the same steps we did on the main computer but do them on that portable drive. That would be scanning the drive with MBA-M to begin with. You would hook the drive up, then open MBA-M, update it and choose Full Scan. When you do that you should get the option of what drives to scan, of course choose "C" drive, your main drive but also choose that portable drive. Let it do the scan, which will take longer than before because more than one drive will be scanned and when the scan is finished Remove All items found. The scanning with HiJackThis wouldn't be needed as it doesn't scan portable drives.

i scanned just the portable drive by itself since i already scanned the C: drive with the initial problem. the scan of the portable drive completed with no malicious items found. here is the scan log. let me know if i'm good to go.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3511
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

1/7/2010 10:00:06 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-07 (22-00-06).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (E:\|)
Objects scanned: 162241
Time elapsed: 28 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Looks good! If you feel everything is ok then you can mark this thread solved.
Judy

Looks good! If you feel everything is ok then you can mark this thread solved.
Judy

thank you very much for your help and for your patience!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.