I have become infected with the Security Tool virus/trojan/malware.

In normal startup mode for Windows XP SP2. I am not able to run any .exe programs without getting a message from Security Tool that the program is infected with (insert virus/trojan/malware here) and is attempting to send my credit card info to a server.

I have tried all the tools recommended in the Read First post and was able to download them all. However, when I try to run any, the Security Tool blocks it.

I am able to run in Safe Mode, but I also do not get the warnings from Security Tool as I am guessing, it does not load.

Please, can anyone help. I play online games and am not able to run the game or the voice chat program.

Apparently my son is no longer going to have computer priveledges on this PC.

I do run McAfee as my AV program and run spyware and malware programs on a regular basis.

Please help as I do not want to have to c:/Format

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have seen this before. Create a file called unhookexe.inf with notepad or another simple text editor, on another system and put the following in the file:

Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=Symantec

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=UnhookRegKey

[UnhookRegKey]
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\piffile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\regfile\shell\open\command,,,"regedit.exe "%1""
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\scrfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0

Put the file on a usb drive or copy it to the hard drive. Right click the file and select install and you will then be able to run exe files again.

rch1231 will give that a try. But I still need to get rid of the program.

After running all the cleaning fixes in the Read This First post, I was able to get rid on the damn Security Tool. Just want to say thanks to all the people who work this site and keep the software fixes coming.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.