I'm a beginner (High school student) in Computer Science (Information Technology) and I've realized there's a lot of trojan horse on the computer at school, so I'm forced to take my laptop -.- However I was on the search for Anti-viruses it then made it clear to me that the internet is not completely safe. While doing research I've found Bit-defender, it's the best and has a high ranking too, but it also takes a lot out of your processor so I figured AVG would do the trick, well it didn't protect me 100% but it is a good anti-virus and recommended.. Then there is Vipre , I was amazed, it cleaned a lot of viruses off my computer, there were so much, AVG & Bit-defender didn't detect. It doesn't slow my computer down, but it also blocks unsafe websites and protect you to the fullest, I recommend Vipre. Try it.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

From experience I'd avoid the free variants such as Avast! and AVG, although tempting as it can save you upwards of £60 they rarely detect everything. There are benefits and drawbacks to most of the products available, so it's worth looking for one that matches your needs.

NOD 32 is powerful but Norton 360 has more features as well as home network monitoring.

Usually, the freeware is OK for removing a one-time problem, but rarely good for long-term protection.
With that said, I have used MalwareBytes to help people eradicate viruses.

I use symantec corporate, its like Norton but without any of the bloat or assorted crapware, doesnt slow you down as much and I get it for free from my university.

Nothing detects everything! The best you can do is to practice safe computing and keep your AV and Anti-malware products' definitions up to date.
Don't confuse viruses with malware such as trojans. These days, you need a good AV, a good Firewall, and a good anti-malware tools such as Malwarebytes.

If Judy hadn't been chased away, I'm sure she'd be recommending Avira free anti-virus. If you look at independent studies, it ranks higher than many of those products mentioned earlier in this thread.

Cheers :)
PP

Got to agree. Education is everything. I've never had a virus that wasn't down to me being foolish.

Got to agree. Education is everything. I've never had a virus that wasn't down to me being foolish.

Yup - the majority of today's worst malware seems to be stuff people allow onto their computer willingly.

And by "willingly" I don't necessarily mean "knowingly." Infected and fake codecs have always been a big source. Plus those Rogue anti-malware apps that trick people into downloading them to "fix" nonexistent issues.

The biggest infector these days is likely P2P. P2P is great conduit for the spread of many of the worst offenders such as sirefef and it's ilk.

PP:)

Yeah any time ive got any its been due to downloading things from dodgy sites i.e. self inflicted.

If Judy hadn't been chased away, I'm sure she'd be recommending Avira free anti-virus.
PP

was wondering where she went ,Daniweb couldn't afford to loose her [the giant slide down].i don't know any details ,but am sure sorry to here she left

was wondering where she went ,Daniweb couldn't afford to loose her [the giant slide down].i don't know any details ,but am sure sorry to here she left

I am sorry she felt she needed to leave as well - she was a great contributor here.
She is still active at a number of other forums, though. Our loss is their gain, I suppose.

PP:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.