Hello everybody!

Recently I had some propblems with my laptop, everytime it started a screen from American Megatrends appeared. After doing some research, I just pressed f2 and the laptop started. However, yesterday pressing f2 didn't work anymore, the computer seems to not react to the keyboard anymore. The only thing that causes some reacton is pressing ctrl alt del, which causes the computer to start from new, the asus screen appears followed by the american megatrends screen. I have no usb drives or anything else attached to the laptop. I have no idea how to solve this problem, and would appreciate your guys' help ALOT.

I own a ASUS pr055.
Here's what appears on the American Megatrends screen:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 2.00 GHz 

Press F2 to run setup 
Chipset Name: SiS671, DDR2 667 Mhz, CL:5T 
Initializing USB Controllers .. Done. 
4096 MB OK 

Auto Detecting Pri Master.. Atapi CDROM 
Auto Detecting 3rd Master.. Ide Hard Disk 
Pri Master: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T40N JRO3 
            Ultra DMA-Mode-2 
3rd Master: ST9320320AS 0303 
            Ultra DMA Mode-6, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD 
Auto-detecting USB Mass storage devices 
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured. 
3rd Master  Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F2 to resume 

Again, as I do not know much about computers, I would greatly value your comments and help.

Best

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It seems as if in the normal start up bios routine it into able to properly detect your hard disk master three.
Problems with either bios setting to boot from hard disk, or perhaps some failure with the hard disk itself.
If all this is difficult to understand then get help!
It may be that by pressing F8 whilst starting you may get to safe mode and then restart and see if that helps as it may reset the registry, possibly corrupted!
Bol!
M

Definitely there is a problem with HD3 given the S.M.A.R.T. BAD status. SMART is hardware that resides on the hard drive on-board controller that monitors the status of the drive, detecting bad sectors, temperature, performance, etc. A BAD SMART status is saying that the drive is either failing, or is about to fail, and this will trigger the BIOS splash screen you are seeing - American Megatrends is the BIOS manufacturer for this system.

So thanks for your answers. Pressing F8 did not work. Should I get a new hard drive? Which one?

this one ,Seagate ST9320320AS 320GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive is the one showing the bad results

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.