I am a newbie to fixinc PC problems just know the basics restoring, troupleshooting. I use zonealarm free antivirus firewall and avast free they were working before upset with windows. Files on desktop and startup disappeared. Did not know where to look for them this problem is a challenge for me since I tried restoring to previous date and troubleshooting results claimed that everything is ok. I installed a diagnostic and found the following Registry 160 problems found Evidence Users 257 Evidence Files Found these are the files that are missing or dislocated. File Association vbs2 file association Problems. Much appreciation for some assistance thank you. Cynthi

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sorry to say this, and I would like to be wrong, but you have been hit by Malware.

Back-up all your essential files off your computer, but not to another computer. Do a full antivirus and Malwarebytes scan on them before you transfer these files back to your computer.

Download and run Malwarebytes. Whatever Malware you have on your computer may try to prevent Malwarebytes from running, so if that happens Malwarebytes has about ten options for starting up - you will see this in the Malwarebytes folder.

Because this Malware has disassociated some of your files, it would be helpful to just find out which malware it is before we work on reconnecting things.

I installed a diagnostic and found the following Registry 160 problems found Evidence Users 257 Evidence Files Found these are the files that are missing or dislocated

i assume you meant you ran a registry fix tool from the internet ,i suggest you stay away from such programs as they cause more trouble than they are worth ,like bigpaw i will suggest malwarebytes free version as a first step .
Click Here

and after you fix things with malwarebytes ,use this program to repair the missing start menue icons
Click Here

Because his file associations are corrupt junkware such as Tweaky-whatever won't be able to deal with it.

You will need to take a more hands-on approach. Have a look here, please.

There are programs, such as this, that will help a little, but even they still require that human touch because of only having a limited point of reference.

Hope all goes well.

First thing I'd do is check the hard drive condition with hdtune (google will find it easily). A failing hard drive can certainly cause corrupted and missing file and if the hard drive is indeed faulty then trying to repair the symptoms is a complete waste of time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.