I'm hoping to get some basic help--my IE keeps closing so I cannot access internet through it. I've run adaware and spybot and have removed some of the unwanted stuff but say there is still stuff they cannot remove. I also cannot access the internet to download updates to spybot or other anti spyware programs (I don't know how to access internet other than via browser). Please help...any advice would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Okay, running blind here, but may I suggest you copy these two files to a replaceable drive .. eg pen drive, CDRW... install and run them?
==Get CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ - and put it in a new folder. You should aim to keep this one for general use. I set the installation checkboxes only to open from the recycle bin. It's neater that way.
Now run CCleaner from the recycle bin rclick menu using its default settings [if you set up CCleaner as i suggested, rclicking the bin icon should give you the Open CCleaner option...]. Select the Cleaner icon, press Run Cleaner.
[For future quick temp file cleaning select the options you wish to use via the Windows and Applications tabs ..]
==Download this file to your desktop: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
- to run it dclick combofix.exe and follow the prompts to start it. When finished, it will produce a log, C:\Combofix.txt - post that log in your next reply.
A word of caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.
Post the result...

Thank you, but I cannot access the internet (IE keeps closing) so I cannot download anything onto the computer?

Yeah, those files can be downloaded on a mate's sys and copied onto some media like a pen drive... and then into yours for running.

I had the same problem with my Internet pages closing and constantly getting error messages about urlmon.dll and other stuff. I believe I found out what the cause was. I had installed a program called Veoh. It installs in the tool bar and you can download videos or watch them with this free program. I un-installed it this morning and then the trouble began. It gives you the choice to keep certain files and I didn't. I did not think I need them. At any rate it must have taken out files I needed. I reinstalled it tonight and have no problem since doing so. My guess is when you un-install a program especially one that installs in your brower bar there are files you may need to keep so beware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.