I created a folder called "Antispyware". I downloaded various antispyware programs into it. When I doubleclick the folder it opens for about 1 second and then closes. If I rename the folder to any name that does not have the word spyware in it it opens ok. I also cannot install Ad-Aware SE as it shuts off the install procedure after the installation wizard opens before I can click on next.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Call it malware tools then.
Don't build up a comprehensive collection of tools though apart from those which [auto-]update only the detection files - a lot of the tools we use are updated from week to week or more generally as required by developments, superseded versions my well be useless, and worse give a false sense of security. Many of these tools are single file types which are replaced wholly.
..now there was an old virus... nah, no virus could be that crude... do an online scan at Panda after running a cleaner such as CCleaner [check its configuration if you use FF]

Thank you for your reply. My purpose for the file was to have a collection of "Anti" products that are in one location to either burn to cd or put in the shared file for use on new builds or repairs on pc's in the future. I periodically replace the products with newer versions. Renaming the file does indeed allow it to open, but, does not address the cause of the problem which is some malware that will not allow an "antispyware" folder or program to run. I have since formatted and reloaded to get my pc functioning properly. Thanks again.

Ok, but note that ComboFix now has a datestamp - if your version times out it will not run, and i think the time is something like 2 weeks [not sure on that].

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.