Hello,

I have a problem with my desktop computer's internet connection. I am running both my desktop and laptop through my router to connect to the internet. My laptop has no problems at all but my desktop internet browser's won't work. I can access the internet on other ports such as email, ftp, ssh but my http port 80 internet connection seems to be corrupted or blocked. I am operating Window's xp pro with either IE 7 or mozilla firefox as web browsers.

I have tried winsocksfix, system restore, hijack this, and different scanning software but I can't seem to fix the problem. If you know anything I can try to fix the problem I would really appreciate it. If you need any other information please let me know.

I am having the exact same issue. Did you ever find the fix?

Ok, try deleting your cookies and files. hopefully you should get you internet connection back again. This happenes quite often if you dont clear them for very long time.

Tools->Internet Option->Delete button-> <click> Delete cookies 
Tools->Internet Option->Delete button-> <click> Delete history

Close down all your internet explore and then open up a new one and then try accessing the internet.

ssharish

did that already.

upgraded explorer
reset browser to default
automatic detection enabled

It's only port 80.

https works.

Try resetting the IE and see what happenes. How about your firewall Check for your firewall blocking port 80???

ssharish

reset ie already
turned of the firewall
checked the router too.

both my laptops work fine and the other profiles on the pc in question work fine.

Try download firefox and see if your internet works fine there. Just wanted to make sure that if port 80 is blocked on just IE or on your whole machine. Try it with the different browser.

ssharish

tried it with a different bowser already it still didn't work.

however, it does work under different profiles.

i had this problem on my comp. the solution was to disable avast (my av at the time)
i had multiple AV install files at the time so i was safe but i believe that there is a block in the AVs that prevents IE and firefox etc from accessing trusted and local

I am having similar problems to those outlined. I have tried everything I can think of to get IE back. First IE 7 stopped working and advice from India ended up with suggesting downloading the new version IE Beta 2 which doesn't work either. Have tried disabling add-ons...no good. I get the message check
HTTP port 80
HTTPS port 443
FTP port 2
HOW do I do that?!!!! I am an amateur at this.
I also looked at Firewall settings in Control box which looked perfectly normal (not xtra high)...
I hate to give up and call some-one expensive in. I suspect a Microsoft update because it had been perfectly alright. Any ideas?
Would very grateful. In simple language please. Thanks. Julia

I am having similar problems to those outlined. I have tried everything I can think of to get IE back. First IE 7 stopped working and advice from India ended up with suggesting downloading the new version IE Beta 2 which doesn't work either. Have tried disabling add-ons...no good. I get the message check
HTTP port 80
HTTPS port 443
FTP port 2
HOW do I do that?!!!! I am an amateur at this.
I also looked at Firewall settings in Control box which looked perfectly normal (not xtra high)...
I hate to give up and call some-one expensive in. I suspect a Microsoft update because it had been perfectly alright. Any ideas?
Would very grateful. In simple language please.

I am getting the same error messages... What was the fix to this? I've already downloaded latest versions of IE and Firefox. If this is a firewall issue, how do I find that and fix it?
Thanks,
Bill

I tried hours and hours of others solutions...never worked!
Eventually by chance BT changed their protection from Symantec to McAfee and surprise surprised I got IE back so I suspect something very complicated and tangles re-firewalls...although I switched Symantec off to try that too... but BT took about three quarters of an hour changing the protection on my computer...with remote control SO I suspect that's where the problems lie...
BUT by that time I was happry with Firefox!!! serves them right!
Cheers...hope you get it fixed.

I'm not sure if anyone is still having this problem, but I just experienced it and after weeks of not finding any kind of solution I figured out what it was!

There are actually 2 possible solutions.

Try this first:

Go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, and then uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN" and hit "OK."

That should do it! But if you're like me and it was already unchecked, then this will probably fix it:

You need to completely uninstall Norton Internet Sercurity. Even if you think its uninstalled or expired...its probably not. To make completely sure its gone, go to http://www.neowin.net/news/software/07/09/13/norton-removal-tool-20080118

Make sure your product is on the list and download it! I had to download it from another computer and put it on a flashdrive in order to run it on my affected computer, but once I removed everything and restarted the laptop I was good to go!

I hope this helps!

I'm not sure if anyone is still having this problem, but I just experienced it and after weeks of not finding any kind of solution I figured out what it was!

Try this first:

Go to Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, and then uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN" and hit "OK."

That should do it! But if you're like me and it was already unchecked, then this will probably fix it:

You need to completely uninstall Norton Internet Sercurity. Even if you think its uninstalled or expired...its probably not. To make completely sure its gone, go to http://www.neowin.net/news/software/07/09/13/norton-removal-tool-20080118

Make sure your product is on the list and download it! I had to download it from another computer and put it on a flashdrive in order to run it on my affected computer, but once I removed everything and restarted the laptop I was good to go!

I hope this helps!

You are, in fact, a genius no matter how you spell it. I lost my browser functionalities as well. Could not figure out why. Your option 2, to *completely* remove Norton AV software worked for me after many hours of diddling with firewall exceptions, trouble shooting, etc. Simply uninstalling Norton with Win XP obviously did not do it. My brand new netbook of course had Norton bloatware (disguised as helpful AV software) which was behaving annoyingly so I chose to uninstall it and opt for AVG; Norton is, in fact, almost as bad as being infected with a virus. And, based on this, just as hard to remove! So many hours wasted. But now I have a functioning Netbook. Thank you so much.

Check to see if you are trying to connect using a proxy.
Go to Tools/options/connections/lan settings.
if USE PROXY is checked un check it. Then hit APPLY.
If this worked please send me $10.00.
Thanks

Try this first:

Hay Buddy it worked V.Thanks

AAAAAWWWWWWEEEESSSOMMMMME!!!! Thanksso much - all it was was that DARN proxy setting . yippeee!

You are a Real genius!! Thank you....

You are, in fact, a genius no matter how you spell it. I lost my browser functionalities as well. Could not figure out why. Your option 2, to *completely* remove Norton AV software worked for me after many hours of diddling with firewall exceptions, trouble shooting, etc. Simply uninstalling Norton with Win XP obviously did not do it. My brand new netbook of course had Norton bloatware (disguised as helpful AV software) which was behaving annoyingly so I chose to uninstall it and opt for AVG; Norton is, in fact, almost as bad as being infected with a virus. And, based on this, just as hard to remove! So many hours wasted. But now I have a functioning Netbook. Thank you so much.

You are real genius! So much time wasted with Microsoft, etc.! Thank you very much....

I had the same problem last night with the Win32/nuquel.E & Bankerfox.A. I managed to download Malware Bytes onto a thumb drive and run it on the infected computer. The virus is clean but now I can not access the internet at all from that computer.

When I attempt to access the internet, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". (IE 8) I diagnose connection problems and it states that My port 80, 443 & 21 connections are disabled.

Below are my two Malware Bytes logfiles

#1:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3510
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

2/1/2010 7:05:10 AM
mbam-log-2010-02-01 (07-05-10).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 112774
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\plvwjkps (Trojan.FakeAlert.N) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\plvwjkps (Trojan.FakeAlert.N) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#2:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3510
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

2/1/2010 9:21:57 AM
mbam-log-2010-02-01 (09-21-57).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 174347
Time elapsed: 46 minute(s), 27 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\(name deleted)\Local Settings\Application Data\tubeyf\oldwsysguard.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\(name deleted)\DoctorWeb\Quarantine\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I am posting this on several forums, as I need to get this computer up and running as quickly as possible. I am not terribly knowledgeable about system processes and computer jargon so if you can help me, please provide details. I have tried fixes on several tech websites such as this one and nothing has worked at all. (Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings; ip reset; etc.)

Thank you!!

It also happens to me...what I did is I called my Internet Service Provider and they assist me with my problem. Just simply click the "tool" bar menu, then "internet options", then click on the "connections" tab, click the LAN settings, then uncheck all the box. Click "Ok". Open a new internet page and it will go through. Hope this will solve your problem...

i had this problem on my comp. the solution was to disable avast (my av at the time)
i had multiple AV install files at the time so i was safe but i believe that there is a block in the AVs that prevents IE and firefox etc from accessing trusted and local

i have this problem to.i've cleared the history and the ssl but IE still didn't work. I use flock,and my family uses firefox (which i have no problems using) but i have a game that requires IE to play it.Is there an alternate solution to this?

It also happens to me...what I did is I called my Internet Service Provider and they assist me with my problem. Just simply click the "tool" bar menu, then "internet options", then click on the "connections" tab, click the LAN settings, then uncheck all the box. Click "Ok". Open a new internet page and it will go through. Hope this will solve your problem...

never mind that post. thanks this worked for me. :)

I need to check firewall setting might be a fault with HTTP port 80 HTTPS 443 FTP 21 i dont understand tech jargon bit slow on the up take with IT issues so need help please

glynys

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.