I downloaded a freeware prog. today called Killdisk. I then found i'd already downloaded a better version so i tried to delete the one i'd just downloaded and got this error. "Error deleting file or folder-There has been a sharing violation-The source or destination file may be in use".I turned off norton anti-virus and tried deleting it from safe mode but to no avail.Does anyone have any ideas. It is an .exe, and when i clicked on it, a small dos screen flashed up but nothing happened. Strange.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Try booting directly to the command prompt (or booting from a rescue disk) and deleting it with the "del" command.

thnx DMR,it worked.

You're welcome, glad we could help! :)

Hi
I have downloaded some music on a usb flashdisk and after i copied the music on my comp i tried to clear the contents on the flashdisk. It keeps coming up with a message stating the files are "write protected and to use another file or disk' How do I clear them off the flashdisk
Thanks

PS Can you reply to my email addy SNIP

I have used “Long Path Tool” software in this situation and it helped me easily and quickly.

If you have problems like "Error Deleting File or Folder" , one of the best tools for solving this would be Long Path Tool found at http://LongPathTool.com.

Long Path Tool can simplify and probably end your problems in unlocking, managing and renaming files that appear to have a long filename.

If you encounter errors as :

• Path too long

• Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk

• Cannot delete file: Access is denied

• There has been a sharing violation.

• Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.

• The source or destination file may be in use.

• The file is in use by another program or user.

• Error Deleting File or Folder

• Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

• Error Copying File or Folder.

• Cannot remove folder.

• The filename or extension is too long.

• Path too deep.

• Destination Path Too Long.

• Could not find this item.

• Filename is not valid.

• The file could not be accessed.

• The path you entered, is too long. Enter a shorter path.

• File Name could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename, and verify that the file location is correct.

Your best solution is Long Path Tool . Go to http://LongPathTool.com and see the trial version to convince yourself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.