have a Dell Dimension 3000 and have been working for weeks on trying to get my sound back. My "fine details" follow at the end of my message. I get the yellow exclamation marks and the dreaded code 39 for everything. This happened after I tried stupidly to hook up a Zune to this computer (which has since been returned, though I would have preferred to throw it against the wall).

I have the Soundmax integrated digital audio. I get the exclamation on that, and anything else that shows up there.

I have also attached a screen shot of what it did look like. Now it just has the Soundmax one there with the exclamation point.

Here is what I have tried:

1) Uninstalling and reinstalling devices through device manager - no dice. Get Code 39.

2) Re-Installing chipset, network and audio drivers. No dice. Get Code 39 everytime it refinds things.

3) Reinstalling XP and thus all the updates that followed.

4) Uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE stuff.

5) Yes, audio is turned on in the bios and also in the thing where you can decide "automatic, manual or off"

This only happens for audio hardware anything.

Here's the details of my system. Any advice or ideas on how to get this working again?

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Speed : 2.79GHz
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 16kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 lines per sector

System
System : Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 3000
Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 0TC666
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : 1 Processor(s)
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
System BIOS : Dell Computer Corporation A03
Total Memory : 510.47MB DDR

Chipset 1
Model : Dell 82865G/PE/P, 82848P DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 133MHz (532MHz)
Total Memory : 512MB DDR
Shared Memory : 1MB
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Dell E193FP
Adapter : Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller

Physical Storage Devices
WDC WD400BB-75JHC0 40GB (ATA100, 2MB Cache) : 37.25GB (C
HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B (ATAPI33, 48x CD-R, 128kB Cache) : N/A (D
SONY CD-RW CRX320EE (ATAPI33, 52x CD-R, 52x CD-W, 7x DVD-R, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C : 33.76GB (17.66GB, 52% Free Space) (NTFS) @ WDC WD400BB-75JHC0 40GB (ATA100, 2MB Cache)
CD-ROM/DVD (D : N/A @ HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B (ATAPI33, 48x CD-R, 128kB Cache)
CD-ROM/DVD (E : N/A @ SONY CD-RW CRX320EE (ATAPI33, 52x CD-R, 52x CD-W, 7x DVD-R, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
USB Controller/Hub : Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
Keyboard : Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard
Mouse : Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
Mouse : Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : HID-compliant device
Human Interface : HID-compliant consumer control device
Human Interface : Logitech Cordless USB Mouse
Human Interface : Logitech Cordless USB Keyboard
Human Interface : Logitech Cordless USB Mouse & Enhanced Keys

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Printers and Faxes
Model : SnagIt 7
Model : PaperPort PDF
Model : PaperPort Color Image
Model : PaperPort Black & White Image
Model : Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Model : Intuit Internal Printer
Model : DocuCom PDF Driver
Model : removed for privacy reasons - MB

Network Printers

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86

Network Services
Adapter : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR SAVING MY SANITY

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

According to support.dell.com the audio on the Dimension 3000 is 'ADI Onboard Sound '

Me thinks you've installed the wrong driver.

the ASI driver is the soundmax integrated digital audio. That was what I downloaded from dell.

I see. Code 39 usually indicates the driver is missing or corrupt. Try uninstalling from device manager, then go to add/remove programs and uninstall any audio driver software from there. Maybe download from Dell again and install the drivers. Either scan for hardware changes from device manager or reboot if prompted.

I see. Code 39 usually indicates the driver is missing or corrupt. Try uninstalling from device manager, then go to add/remove programs and uninstall any audio driver software from there. Maybe download from Dell again and install the drivers. Either scan for hardware changes from device manager or reboot if prompted.

I have tried that and it did not work. Friday before I left I think I discovered what I need to do, but I'm not sure of where they need to be. I think the problem was when I downloaded the drivers the 2nd time right from Dell, they downloaded to C:/Dell/Drivers I have a feeling they need to be in the system folder somewhere (and not the Dell folder!). If someone knows the folder where the drivers should actually go, I think that it will fix the problem!

Anyone know that? :)

Thank you!

The download from Dell was a compressed or zipped file that extracted or uncompressed to the Dell directory; it should have launched setup.exe to actually complete the installation.

Go to the C:\dell\drivers folder, locate and double click on the setup.exe file to install the drivers.

does anyone and i mean anyone have the answer to this. i have come to the conclusion the chipset is just dead. I have tried every single thing in original post all suggestions on every google search and in here i can find.

1. Uninstalled/ reinstalled driver straight from dell dimension 4500
2. flashed bios
3. chipset update
4. putting in 2 other sound cards that work just find in other computers
5. enable/disable in bios
6. lots of other stuff i can't remember

Only thing i haven't thought of trying is uninstaling service pack 3 for windows xp, because it has always worked before no problems. But the disk i got from ms is xp with sp3 slipstreamed on it cause i lost my original one. :) lol :) But then again i really don't want to wipe this thing or uninstall sp3, but if i have to i will!

no matter what, it installs the driver, but says there is a code 39 for it. Just puts the old yellow exclamation point on it in device manager. Same for pci sound cards yellow point! I not a genius or nothing but i am exceptional at fixing computers and i honestly think i have been defeated for first time ever in 10 years. Now i can probably change mobo out and make it work, but i need to know if this is fixable and i haven't found it, or if it really is hardware that is dead? Please lol

Hi,

Has anyone come up with a definite solution to this problem. It seems quite common. I am having problem with audio, in very similar circumstances. Mine went after windows update everything else works ok. Very frustrating, thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.