My friend has an HP Pavillion and recently the computer stopped booting to windows. When you turn it on it just shows a screen with a flashing command prompt-style cursor. I was able to get into the system set-up and re-arranged the boot order and therefore could boot a Windows XP SP1 installation disk. I was able to re-partition and format the drive without any problems, but once I started installing setup repeatedly reported various files that could not be installed. I kept ignoring these problems hoping that it would still be able to install, however once all files were copied it told me that setup could not continue because setup.inf could not be found.

I am beginning to believe that there must be physical hard drive damage because I cannot understand what else would prevent files from being copied to a newly formatted hard drive, however any other insight or additional suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

If it is a newer HP that came with a restore disk, some times they dont take well if there is still the restore partition on the on the HD. Also one thing I would be concerned about if the HP is older would be proprietary hardware that don't have common driver. I worked on a older HP about 2 years ago that the driver support was non exsistant.

If it is a newer HP that came with a restore disk, some times they dont take well if there is still the restore partition on the on the HD. Also one thing I would be concerned about if the HP is older would be proprietary hardware that don't have common driver. I worked on a older HP about 2 years ago that the driver support was non exsistant.

The computer is about 3 years old. I repartitioned the entire hard drive, but how would I know if there's a restore partition on there?

The computer is about 3 years old. I repartitioned the entire hard drive, but how would I know if there's a restore partition on there?

you might not find it. it's a hidden partition. Dell uses them all the time.
you best bet is to run a debug script on the Hard Drive. That will wipe out
everything, including hidden partitions

you might not find it. it's a hidden partition. Dell uses them all the time.
you best bet is to run a debug script on the Hard Drive. That will wipe out
everything, including hidden partitions

I've had to do that before with a Dell. Is it a standard script or varies by computer (I'll check HP's support section I guess...)

Another possibility... is your installation CD scratched or dirty?

Another possibility... is your installation CD scratched or dirty?

Just to keep everyone updated... I ran a debug script on the computer with no luck. I tried to run a hard drive analyzer but that won't even work. I zero filled the drive and will see if that worked tonight. If it doesn't I'm just going to put a new hard drive in.

I have been having similar problems myself. Thus far I have tried a different hard drive, a different CD ROM and a different stick of RAM (PC100 instead of the preinstalled PC133). Unfortunately, none of these attempts has solved the problem. Thinking that the software disc might be the problem, I tried three different copies of XP Pro, one copy of XP Home, and one copy of Windows 2000 Pro. The only operating system that completed installation was Windows 98SE. However, this reads a registry error every time it boots.
Incidentally, I also checked to the CR2032 backup battery and it was good. In so doing I reset the system bios but this, too, did not improve the installation process. It should also be noted that the files that will not copy vary on each attempt, even if the installation CD is the same. I'll get back if I have any success.

I have been having similar problems myself. Thus far I have tried a different hard drive, a different CD ROM and a different stick of RAM (PC100 instead of the preinstalled PC133). Unfortunately, none of these attempts has solved the problem. Thinking that the software disc might be the problem, I tried three different copies of XP Pro, one copy of XP Home, and one copy of Windows 2000 Pro. The only operating system that completed installation was Windows 98SE. However, this reads a registry error every time it boots.
Incidentally, I also checked to the CR2032 backup battery and it was good. In so doing I reset the system bios but this, too, did not improve the installation process. It should also be noted that the files that will not copy vary on each attempt, even if the installation CD is the same. I'll get back if I have any success.

try running a low level formatt using the manufacturers menu on the hp recovery cd's,when you boot to recovery cd's and get to the screen that says press f to formatt and recover your computer or press r to recover or q to quit press control+backspace to bring up manufacturers menu. on that menu select the number 4(clear partition table)...you will get response operating system not installed or partition corrupt.then press ctrl+backspace again and select number 5(clear master boot record)you will get the same message as last time,press ctrl+backspace one last time and select number 6(wipe all sectors of drive 0x80) at this time it will say"erasing hard drive".this will take up to an approximated 25 minutes per 40 gb hdd space and then will say operating system not found ,press r to start recovery....press r and that will will start loading software onto harddrive,run through all disks and that should either resolve your issue or if it is still failing hdd needs to be replaced. :)

I eventually figured out the problem was with the RAM. For some reason each stick worked fine alone, but when together, all hell broke loose. Good luck with the problem.

P.S. HP support gave my name to one of their "special" departments when I called them with the problem. A technician that knew at least a little more than the regular people you get tried helping me... told me it was either the RAM or the processor. It might be worth a shot.

I am having a similar problem, in that I cannot reinstall Windows XP , but my Linux is fine. Everytime I try to install windows from the master CD I keep getting ERROR 10, what is this? thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I have a Compaq Pressario with XP and it went dead blank. Tried check disk F and R and just check disk. Tried the resore disk, tried the opsys disk, tried a new XP install from a disk bought by itself. The machine just tells me no operating system found or to check my cable. Hard drive is spinning and the hard drive activity light comes on. Wanted to go into DOS to copy files before doing a total reinstall, but even the reinstall doesn't boot. Any ideas? Motherboard, perhaps?

Im having trouble getting onto the BIOS setup
my computer is a HP Compaq 6720

the reason im trying to get onto this is because my computer will not boot.
ive tried to re-install windows but it doesnt work..

i also get a message saying:
Non-system Disk or Disk error
replace and strike any key when ready..

Im having trouble getting onto the BIOS setup
my computer is a HP Compaq 6720

the reason im trying to get onto this is because my computer will not boot.
ive tried to re-install windows but it doesnt work..

i also get a message saying:
Non-system Disk or Disk error
replace and strike any key when ready..

hi ,you should be prompted to hit a key to enter the bios ,like f2 or del, do you get the option to hit a key!
the non system disk error means its not reading your hard drive for one reason or another

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.