Heres an odd one. I have about 40 users on a pair of load balanced citrix servers running a series of published applications (Office products and such). Occasionally, there are a couple user profiles that corrupt here and there (this is windows, after all).

Typically, I go into the documents and settings, rename the profile folder for the user, log back in as them to create the new folder, then transfer the crap from the old profile to the new.

Today however, when I went to do that, I got a message saying I couldn't rename the folders as they were in use. WHT? THe users aren't logged in. I restarted the server just in case something was stuck. Still no luck.

I am trying to avoid creating new users altogether. These people are easily confused and I would like nothing to be visibly different to them.

What am I missing?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Usually a reboot takes care of that, but it looks like it didn't in your case. Boot the server into safe mode and try it again.

Heres an odd one. I have about 40 users on a pair of load balanced citrix servers running a series of published applications (Office products and such). Occasionally, there are a couple user profiles that corrupt here and there (this is windows, after all).

Typically, I go into the documents and settings, rename the profile folder for the user, log back in as them to create the new folder, then transfer the crap from the old profile to the new.

Today however, when I went to do that, I got a message saying I couldn't rename the folders as they were in use. WHT? THe users aren't logged in. I restarted the server just in case something was stuck. Still no luck.

I am trying to avoid creating new users altogether. These people are easily confused and I would like nothing to be visibly different to them.

What am I missing?

You need to reboot the workstation to clear the lock. After someone is logged on, the profile remains locked until the reboot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.