my dell inspiron 5160 laptop will not start I need help. I turn the system on with battery and the ac led green light comes, the fan starts and suddenly the system turns off just like that. when I take out the battery and try to start my laptop with the ac power nothing happens. Help.

Possible Adapter or DC jack issue, repost this in the PC Hardware -----> Dead Machines Forum for greater help with this.

If you want to verify that it is a DC jack issue you may be able to check this by checking for DC voltage at the battery pins with a multimeter you should be able to detect between 1.5 - 4.5V at various pin combinations with the adapter plugged in. You can do the same kind of tests on the adapter looking for whatever the VDC rating on the adapter is, probably 12-19VDC. If you see the voltage wiggle the adapter cord or jack and see if the voltage drops outmeaning a loss of power and an open circuit.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.