I just started using this operating system, and I've found that certain files (seemingly only exe files) cannot be deleted from the Desktop. I get the following error:

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in another program" "Close the file and try again".

The file isn't open, and I checked the task manager and I can see nothing relating to the files in question. This is an incredibly irritating problem, because the only way I've found it possible to delete these files is through Safe Mode, but I really don't want to do that every time I need to delete something.

What's causing this? Is there a way around it? My only hunch is that my anti-virus is scanning the files in real time when I run them or click on them, and maybe it's not "releasing" the files after it's done. I'm using BitDefender Total Security 2008, if that's any help. It's the x64 version, I believe. Besides my anti-virus I can't imagine what else it would be.

When I used XP I was using a program called "Unlocker", which dealt exactly with this sort of problem, but unfortunately it doesn't yet work with x64 systems, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A small update: if I end the "explorer.exe" task via the Task Manager, then restart it manually, the files can be deleted thereafter. This is a lot better than rebooting into Safe Mode each time, but it's still pretty annoying! So, any better ideas?

Thanks muchly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.