Playing games is what I like to do on my system. It has never been connected to the internet until recently to play games online. After I did that I noticed svchost.exe and system was taking 100% of my cpu. What is going on? What can I do to get rid of this so everything can run a lot smoother?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

you may want to check if you have the blaster virus.

Rick

There is a similar post called the same thing search for it in the windows forum I think your post has been already answered(suggestion) Hit www.daniweb.com and look at the bottom of the HOTTEST threads list.(its one of my favorites)

If a person does not have the blaster worm, yet Svchost.exe is still giving you problems when you attempt to play any game, downloading the remover tool for blaster is not going to help one bit.

I myself am a gamer, it is what I do. I can't play sports because I royally screwed my knee earlier this summer and am still doing rehab.

There has got to be another reason as for why svchost.exe is hogging up all of the CPU and yet there are no viruses on a computer. It is happening to me, as well as alot of other people as far as I can see, and the problem is not limited to blasterworm. There has got to be another solution to another problem. And I am not about to end system processes that force my computer to restart in T-MINUS 60 seconds, because as it already is, my PC is not the most stable one in the world; sometimes even my HD talks to me. <<<< disk error.

QUOTE:By someone UBER my boy CATCHIn the computer world there is a answer for every computer problem simple as that....

I have the same problem on a comp. and ,y virus scan doesn't work properly. To make a long story short i found a way to scan and found a worm but when i downloaded the patch for that it it said i wasn't infected. so i did searching on the svchost.exe process that showed up 4 times. it was takeing all remaining processor cycles. I found it is a process of the worm agobot.s

Hope this helps,
The Xidarian

on the command line run the command 'tasklist /svc'
this will break down for you what each process is being used for.

finally a like to say that some of you have the welchia worm and some of you have a blast worm... so look at symantecs to get the needed remove-tool

I don't think so.I think it's the agobot -s worm.I ran my removal tools for nachi,welchia and blaster but it's diff.u should also give agobot a try because I can't remember which one of them actually sends data packets to ur isp.

Get the patch for the blaster worm it works for me. Then update your systems after, that so that you can minimize your headache for Windows 2K/XP.

I have the same problem, but I don't think it's a virus. It started today. I was running a bit torrent download over night while I had some batch video encoding going as well. Sometime about 10 minutes after I left, both the bit torrent download and the encode froze (I know this from the encoding log). When I got back to it this morning, I noticed that my CPU usage was maxxed out and that it only returned to normal when I ended the bit torrent exe. I restarted then because a few things weren't working properly. When I was back in windows, my cpu jumped to max after I logged in and it was because of svchost.exe. I ended it and the error telling me that the RPC buffer had been broken came up so I'd have to shutdown came up. By the way, you can get past having to shutdown by typing 'shutdown /a' in a command promt.

Anyways, I have Norton Antivirus with my definitions up to date and it hasn't detected a virus lately. I also have a router so the blaster worm wouldn't be affecting me. However, Norton Antivirus doesn't work now. It appears that it's working, but it doesn't actually do anything. I can't change any of the options, the system status never actually refreshes, and I can't scan for viruses. I don't think that it's possible for a virus to come in on part of a bit torrent download and infect a system without being executed either.

So does anyone know what this could be outside of a virus? I could run the windows system restore and just go back to two days ago, but I don't know that I trust it entirely because of other recent experiences with "helpful" automated microsoft utilities.

Playing games is what I like to do on my system. It has never been connected to the internet until recently to play games online. After I did that I noticed svchost.exe and system was taking 100% of my cpu. What is going on? What can I do to get rid of this so everything can run a lot smoother?

Hi I have had the same prob,,,,u may find that this will work http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/n1054833166 It worked for me

I just spent an hour with Microsoft Technical Support - what resolved my problem through trial and error of unchecking services in msconfig - was to go into msconfig, services, and see if HID Input Services is checked. Stands for Human Interface Display. Uncheck it and reboot. It worked for me after days of trying to figure out what was going on with svchost.exe!

SvcHost.exe using 100% CPU (processor) on a Windows XP SP2 machine:

Running “Tasklist /Svc” from a command line will show the instances of SvcHost.exe and what is running under each instance of SvcHost.exe (there should be about 5 instances of SvcHost.exe running on an XP SP2 machine).

You can go into the Registry and see all the things running under SvcHost.exe by looking in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ SvcHost .

The way I found and fixed this problem was by downloading Process Explorer (from SysInternals, which is now owned by Microsoft). It showed me that WuAuClt.exe was running under the instance of SvcHost.exe that was gobbling up my entire processor. WuAuClt.exe is the Windows Update Automatic Update Client.

After doing some web searching, I found that in many cases the problem is because of Microsoft Update (Microsoft Update handles all MS products, whereas Windows Update handles only the Windows OS). To turn off Microsoft Update, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com, choose “Change settings” on the left hand side of the page, then at the bottom of the page choose “Disable Microsoft Update”.

Please also look at MS KB article KB916089 for some related information that may be helpful. I downloaded this hot fix and it made no difference on my system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.