download speed of my system is pathetic.. it says 2.5kb/sec or so.. how can i increase the speed to some Mb/sec,because the downloading of files as small as 10Mb takes hours. suggest the change in settings in IE or in winXP manager.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

get a faster connection?
or connect to a faster server...

Don't believe in any of those "internet accellerator" programs you can buy, they're all scams and snake oil that have no effect whatsoever.

Background info and specifics would help us; your OS or browser may not be part of the problem at all:

- What exact type of network/Internet connection do you have, and at what speed does your ISP indicate that the connection should operate?

- What is the exact make/model of network interface in your computer?

- Does your network setup include any other devices (hub, switch, router, etc.) which might be part of the problem?

- Is this a new problem, or has your connection speed always been low?

- When indicating connection speeds and file sizes, please pay attention to the use of capitalization; there's an big difference between Kb / Mb and KB / MB.

As far as the problems with the other devices are concerned i cant help it.. as i have noticed the speed of the network is good , but if i start downloading some files from the net the speed of download is only slow but now the browsing speed.this is not a new problem, it is the case since i have been using this system. but the other systems connected to the same hub (or whatever) are haveing a better speed.

-Try re-installing your OS.
-Remove unnecessary programs that are not being used but still they listen to some ports for internet connection.
- Check for start up utilities and services. Remove or disable sevices if not needed. Do not disable any Microsoft Service

(In my case reinstalling OS helped...)

There are several factors in downloading speed.

1. It the website itself is overloaded, you can't do anything to change that. The following factors apply:

- The number of uses downloading from that website at any one time.

- The speed of the connections that website has. This is especially important if the website is on a home or business PC somewhere, instead of on a huge server cluster or mainframe.

- Whether or not the website has faster drives for some pages and slower drives for others.

- Whether or not the website gives priority to certain kinds of files (such as text or pay files).

- Whether or not ads displaying on the web page are slowing everything down.

- Whether or not an operator must give manual permission for a download to occur.

2. If your own ISP is overloaded, you can't do anything except change ISPs. The following factors apply:

- The speed of your own ISP.

- The number and activity of users currently using your ISP.

- Whether or not your ISP is filtering your download to stop malicious software.

- Whether or not your ISP gives priority to certain file types, users, or services.

- In the case of a cable modem, the total capacity of the cable running from the base station to your area. Other users on your branch can slow things down without slowing down the ISP.

- It could be that your ISP is validating your connection to the website at a lower speed, to avoid swamping itself with traffic.

3. Your connection can change speed. The only rememdy is to repalce the connection method. The following factors apply:

- With dial-up, you could end up with connections of different quality between your telephone and the ISP. This can change your highest transfer speed.

- Older telephone wiring in the house can slow down dial-up and DSL connections. So can older wiring from your house to the phone exchange. The weather can also affect older outdoor wiring.

- Certain DSL connections can be slowed down when somone is using the telephone, especially if a filter is missing, or too many ringers are attached to the line.

- Squirrels can damage outdoor wiring, causing crosstalk and slowdowns.

- The speed of WiFi and cell phone systems depend on the total amount of traffic using the base station or cell tower.

4. Finally , look at your computer. The following factors apply:

- The number of windows you have open. Each one gets a timeslice, as does Windows.

- Whether or not you have other processes doing something, such as printing or timed events.

- Your firewall, and virus and spyware checkers. But I would not disable this.

- Look for malware too.

- Clean out your system tray. Every little icon in the right corner of your status bar is soaking up time. I have only three icons there: Malware detector, DSL system, and print driver/controller.

- If downloaded images have to be converted to a different screen color resolution (especially a lower one), it slows downloading dramatically. Movies have this problem too, on a brobdingnagian scale.

- Is your hard disk nearly full. This causes a slowdowm, as does a fragmented disk.

- Do you have enough Internet cache reserved? If not, the browser has to play memory manager in addition to downloading the file.

- A data-compressed disk drive will slow down everything.

- Older computers have slower CPU and disk speeds. Sofdtware intended to speed this up does not work.

-----

How to find out which factors are affecting you:

- Try other websites, and see if they are faster. If they are, the speed limiting factor is certainly at the website you are trying to download from. Your computer system and ISP are as fast as or faster than the fastest download you find on the entire internet.

- Does the image appear in low resolution first, then improve its resolution at a slower rate? If so, the website owner KNOWS his connection is slow.

- If you see "waiting for (website name)" in the browser activity window, you know you are waiting on other traffic at the website's computer. The site is overloaded. Try using that site at off-peak times. But if it happens at 3 in the morning, it means the site is backing up its files then.

- If you see doubleclick.net in your browser activity window when you go to the slow site, you need look no farther. This is an ad company which ioversubscribes its capacity. It taskes a long time for it to connect.

- If your download speed varies with the time of day on some websites, but not others, the websites with the varying time are swamped with download traffic.

- If your ISP has files on it, download some of them. If they are faster than downloads on all remote sites, the ISP's connection to the internet is the limiting factor.

- Try dialing up from a different location or telephone exchange. If it is faster, suspect the quality of the wiring.

- If you have dial-up or DSL, unplug the telephones and try it. If the speed goes up, those phones may be nonstandard or damaged. Reconnect them one by one, to see which phones are causing the trouble. If the last phone slows thing down, no matter which one it is, then you have too many phones. Rethink your phone use, or get a dedicated line for the computer.

- Try using the Internet late at night. If it is faster, you are competing with other traffic, not an absolute limit.

- Borrow a faster computer and see if it helps. If it does not, then you have no control over your download speed.

hey guys, please tell me if i can speed my download a little bit coz it is 256kb/s kilobits not bytes if you can tell me a software or to do some things help please? i tried dsl speed,,internet tweat,, cablenut,,tcpoptmize,,and may other but i didn't really work

SO IF YOU CAN HELP JUST SEND ME A LETTER IN saeedabdo619@hotmail.com or POST IT HERE

hey guys, please tell me if i can speed my download a little bit coz it is 256kb/s kilobits not bytes if you can tell me a software or to do some things help please? i tried dsl speed,,internet tweat,, cablenut,,tcpoptmize,,and may other but i didn't really work

SO IF YOU CAN HELP JUST SEND ME A LETTER IN saeedabdo619@hotmail.com or POST IT HERE

do you have a high speed inter service provider that offers you faster speed than the 256kb/s that you are getting .are you paying for high speed and only getting 256kb's if so call your isp help line to complain

The reason is Microsoft reserves 20% of your available bandwidth for its own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc.) Here’s how to get it back:

Click Start / Run
Type: gpedit.msc
This opens the group policy editor. Then go to:

Local Computer Policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Network / QOS Packet Scheduler / Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured

Now click on ENABLE reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO. This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.

This will increase your surfing,downloading,uploading speed......Enjoy !!!

Download speed you observe depends on a lot of factors.

1. Your bandwidth itself might be limitted. Check with your ISP about speed details. Also use some speed testing websites that can tell you the max download speed you can get.

2. If you are downloading from a busy server, changes are the bandwith is limitted by the incapability of the server to serve you at your maximum bandwidth. In this case, download accelerators do help. There are a few.... Download accelerator plus, SKDownloader, Internet downloader.. etc

3. If you have a lot of programs running which accesses the web frequently, chances are they are consuming your bandwidth silently in the background. Try shutting down processes in your computer you don't need while downloading stuff.
See this article. It has a few tips to increase download speed.
http://www.toolsbysk.com/skforums/forum/Blah.pl?m-1248450056

can anyone tell how to own a rapidshare premium account,ihave a paypal account but i doesn't have any bank account or credit card ,can anyone tell how can own rapidshare account in other way

I have tried Veloxum software and it really helped boost my download speed. here's the link if anyone is interested in trying it: http://www.veloxum.com/products/home-user
it is an enterprise solution but they also have a home office version.

download speed of my system is pathetic.. it says 2.5kb/sec or so.. how can i increase the speed to some Mb/sec,because the downloading of files as small as 10Mb takes hours. suggest the change in settings in IE or in winXP manager.

There are so many factors involved in the speed of downloading from internet. You need to identify your internet connection first. What type of internet connection are you using? Is this Broadband or the old Dial-up? If it is dial-up than you may never think about increasing your download speed as it is impossible with dial-up connection. Here is quick reference of a good article written on How to Increase download speed:
http://www.howtoincreasedownloadspeed.com

There are so many factors involved in the speed of downloading from internet. You need to identify your internet connection first. What type of internet connection are you using? Is this Broadband or the old Dial-up? If it is dial-up than you may never think about increasing your download speed as it is impossible with dial-up connection. Here is quick reference of a good article written on How to Increase download speed:

lol. most info and links in the link you offered lead to third party software ,as its already been mentioned in this thread a few time not to bother with 3rd party software to help speedup downloads ,as they are usually just garbage,as in my opinion most if not all download speeds are determined by the SOURCE of the file being downloaded

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.