Help! I suddenly got this message when booting up yesterday. I Have turned off computer and rebooted several times with the same message. Screen is black. Should I try the safe mode? What could be causing this message?

thanks,

Rich

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

"Entry point not found" errors aren't specific to a single program or fault; they can be caused by a variety of things. Usually there's more to the error message than just "entry point not found", and that additional text should give more descriptive info on the given fault.

If the message you get has such information in it, please post the exact text.

Also- at what exact point in the boot process do you get the error?

thanks, the exact message is as follows:

Isass.exe/entry point not found

The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll

This occurs during xp loading process before the windows login screen appears.

I tried the safe mode and it went to safe mode but the the same error message came up and everything stopped.

Appreciate any advice on :-| what to try next.

Rich

Curiousity question: Did you install or uninstall any software just prior to this happening? Sometimes system files like msvcrt.dll (Microsoft Visual C runtime library file) get replaced/overwritten/corrupted in the process of doing so.

MS has an article which describes a situation very similar to yours, and describes how to replace your current msvcrt.dll with a fresh copy from your Win XP disk; it might help in this case (and I doubt it will hurt to try):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;324762

I'll have to check with my daughter 12, it's possible she installed something. But thanks for the advice. I will try it in the morning. Glad to hear its not a hard drive failure;)

OK- let us know what happens. If it doesn't work, there are other possible fixes, but let's first see if replacing the library file works.

Thanks, I followed the windows instructions and I am back in business. I thank you and my daughter thanks you.

Great- glad we could help you get it sorted out :)

please help! SOS! I would be very pleased and would appreciate it if you let me know how to fix an msvcrt.dll error message in a windows xp s.p. 3 32bit system! The exact error message is the following; "the entry point_except_handler4_common of the process was not able to be found at the library of dynamic connection msvcrt.dll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please HELP me!

please help! SOS! I would be very pleased and would appreciate it if you let me know how to fix an msvcrt.dll error message in a windows xp s.p. 3 32bit system! The exact error message is the following; "the entry point_except_handler4_common of the process was not able to be found at the library of dynamic connection msvcrt.dll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please HELP me!

Hi Jim,

This is because you don't have the correct version of the file msvcrt.dll
Here you will find what you are looking for:
http://www.opendll.com/index.php?search=_except_handler4_common

Charmrock

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.