i keep getting a message that says 16 bit error. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is no suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

Is there anything I can do to open up this program. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

are you trying to run an old DOS program? If so you will need to run a DOS environment, either in Windows or from a bootable disk. XP doesn't have DOS built in.

XP doesn't have DOS built in.

:| It doesn't??? Then what are those black and white Command Prompt windows that we can open from the Accesories menu on XP?

Copied from Wiki answers!!!
RESOLUTION To resolve this issue:

1. Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:

expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com exit

5. Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.

6. Note: The Command.com file is not edited or created in this in the following process. Because of this, you may have to expand it from your Windows XP CD-ROM.

Start Notepad.

7. In Notepad, type the following entries:

dos=high, umb device=\system32\himem.sys files=40

8. On the File menu, click Save As.

9. In the File Name box, type Config.nt, and then click Save. Close the Config.nt file.

10. On the File menu, click New.

11. In the new blank document, type the following entries:

@echo off lh\system32\mscdexnt.exe lh\system32\redir lh\system32\dosx SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

12. On the File menu, click Save As.

13. In the File Name box, type Autoexec.nt, and then click Save. Close the Autoexec.nt file.

14. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.

15. Right-click the\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.

17. Right-click the\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

18. Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.

19. Right-click the\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer.

Answer source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

Answer

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767 Explains it all.

Answer

Ending with Windows 3.11 and beginning with Windows NT 4.0, the start-up batch file autoexec.bat was no longer used. This file was to set up drivers and other settings in DOS and earlier versions of Windows, and since NT4.0 and Windows 95 no longer used autoexec.bat or config.sys, they just got in the way of the boot-up process. Now there are two hidden files (IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS) that perform somewhat the same functions for setting up Windows. I suggest you delete, or even better, rename autoexec.bat and config.sys, as follows: In "My Computer" open drive C:. You should at least see autoexec.bat, and maybe config.sys. Here is an example of renaming the file(s): right click on the icon for autoexec. Select "Rename" in the popup menu (from right-clicking). Then just rename the file autoexec.000 or similar. Do the same with config.sys if it exists. Now your PC will not "see" these startup files anymore, and should start up just fine.

:)... isn't your point 4. loading the command.com DOS environment?
It is not the same as the cmd.exe application. And if you do not like black, then...

Sorry??? as I said I copied this from Wipi to assist.............OIC you have me confused with "jimlaver"

No I am Bob

Confused? Who? Me?
[an I know the coyote doesn assoc with Bugs...]

:| It doesn't??? Then what are those black and white Command Prompt windows that we can open from the Accesories menu on XP?

They are exactly that - command prompt windows for entering text-based commands. It isn't DOS.

i keep getting a message that says 16 bit error. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is no suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

you could try this ,before you click on the .exe for the program right click it and go to compatibility and chose to run in win95 /256 colors

the program you're trying to open might not be compatible with your OS. try to search the web for the compatibility of your program...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.