Ever since I installed XPs SP2, I've been running into numerous problem, one of which I'm still struggling to solve. Here's what happened:

The first thing I noticed after installed SP2 was that it somehow renamed by Local Area Connection to Local Area Connection 2. I sort of ignored this since my internet connection was working fine until the other day when I couldn't get online. When I went back to Network Connections, I saw that Local Area Connection 2 was back named back to Local Area Connection, expect it was listed under the Network Bridge (yes -- I have a Network Bridge) section instead of under LAN or High-speed Internet where it should be. So, the first thing I did was delete the Network Bridge because I knew that may make TCP/IP act a little goofy. This only fixed half the problem. Although Local Area Connection is now listed where it should be, now my 1394 Connection is renamed as 1394 Connection 2 and Local Area Connection says "Limited or no connectivity." Doing ipconfig /release on the command prompt didn't work either. It said something like DHCP wasn't found or something like that... As a result, still unable to get back online. I've tried the WinsockXP fix also but no luck.

Any ideas anybody?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hi Mind,

I had exactly the same symptoms as you and after reading some ideas I experienced with success the simple procedure: turn off everything (server, hub, cable modem), take their power off and connect all over again. Quite simple and everything worked again.
Good Luck.

Ana

mint can you say if this worked or not?

Ever since I installed XPs SP2, I've been running into numerous problem, one of which I'm still struggling to solve. Here's what happened:

The first thing I noticed after installed SP2 was that it somehow renamed by Local Area Connection to Local Area Connection 2. I sort of ignored this since my internet connection was working fine until the other day when I couldn't get online. When I went back to Network Connections, I saw that Local Area Connection 2 was back named back to Local Area Connection, expect it was listed under the Network Bridge (yes -- I have a Network Bridge) section instead of under LAN or High-speed Internet where it should be. So, the first thing I did was delete the Network Bridge because I knew that may make TCP/IP act a little goofy. This only fixed half the problem. Although Local Area Connection is now listed where it should be, now my 1394 Connection is renamed as 1394 Connection 2 and Local Area Connection says "Limited or no connectivity." Doing ipconfig /release on the command prompt didn't work either. It said something like DHCP wasn't found or something like that... As a result, still unable to get back online. I've tried the WinsockXP fix also but no luck.

Any ideas anybody?

I may have the answer. When I installed SP2 on one PC, the installation was apparently successful, and I got a notification to the effect that the installer detected the presence of an active firewall on my machine & therefore it did not activate the Windows firewall. This was fine by me because I knew I should not have another firewall. My system consists of a wireless router (Netgear), and all my PC's normally connected by wireless. Netgear documentation warns against the activation of the Windows firewall. After installation of SP2, the PC lost its connectivity. Whatever I did to amend the problem, resulted in a different symptom, but failure of connectivity was constant. The property sheet at one time indicated that the connection was set up as peer-to-peer (False, it has always been Infrastructure), and I also got the message on "Limited or No connectivity", which was an understatement. Because other PC's on the network, still running on SP1, were functioning normally, it was obvious that the problem was in the PC with SP2, not the network, not the router. I tried cable connection and that too was just as broken. I ran "ipconfig /all" on a command shell, and it came up with an IP address of 169.254.127.222, which was completely in the wrong range. It should have been in the 192.168.0.** range. Absolutely clear sign that everything on the connection was getting screwed up. In desperation, but without any real logic, I disabled my PC's software firewall (one from CA), and the problem persisted. At this point, I thought I better check that the Window's firewall really is inactive. I could not believe my eyes: it was active. I promptly deactivated it, re-installed my network software (which is not Windows), rebooted, and that's it. [-:)

I searched MS website on this and I could not find any mention of the problem. If they are reading this, I hope they will attempt to be more helpful.

It is clearly stated in XP by Microsoft that you should never have two firewalls active at the same time. They even explain why, but ofcourse we seldom read all the opening notices and web pages through in detail, because especially the latter would be silly in most of the cases.

When I get Limited or No Connectivity on my wireless.... I just put the IP and DNS adresses manually and it starts to work again

Hope this works for you.... DONT TRUST DHCP hehehe

Hi marked as solved

go to local area connection properties
then click on internet protocol (TCP\IP) and click on propertoes
choose use the following ip addresses and fill it with any random numbers
click on ok and reconnect your modem and your problem is gone

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.