Hi ,
I have have just spent a day on reinstalling windows after a major crash....
but now I have no sound... anybody now how to get the drivers back up and running..
is there a standard device to start? can install say creative sound blaster? any help would be helpful!!!! oh windows xp home is what I have

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I'm not an expert, but what I do know, is that when you re-install your OS, you also need to go to your Pc's manufacturer's website and install the necessary drives from their.

Also make sure you start updating your new installation from the Microsoft update site.

thanks for the info
I got the pc from tesco one of those package deals you know the type..
windows is registered but windows is contained with in the h drive so I can only do a f10 recovery which is what I have done....but for some reason no sound device..
I am now heading over to microsoft as you saod see what they have..nice cheers
ric

get your MOBO information, find out if you have any other sound cards, video or graphics cards and post them here. I will provide the exact drivers you need if you take the time to post the necessary specs!

iQon.ie X86-based Pc 3066Mhz Phoneix Technologies

SIS 661FX/GX Mirage Graphic

Audio codecs
legacy Audio Drivers
legacy capture devices
media control devices
video codecs
unimodem full duplex Audio device

and two I have loaded

sound blaster 16 or AWE32 or compatible (WDM)!
MPU-401 compatible Midi device!

hope this is what you require many thanks ric

get this program ,run it and in the left side/hardware section, click on motherboard and give us the model # of the motherboard , or devices and
http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw.exe

You may also want to see if Realtek AC 97 sound drivers will work to bring your audio back. I know in my case it did. Here is a link to them:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

OK just to let you all no I have cracked it ...Kraai you were right !!I have downloaded the
Realtek AC 97 sound drivers and then installed them but there was a bit more to it to get it all up and running.. first if you have installed new windows or done a recovery you must go into bios first and make sure you enable audio simple when you know eh I also found my ethe cable was not enabled.. anyway then boot back up and then make sure all other progs are turned off make sure your tray is empty now reinstall the required drivers...then set all your hardware programs to this new driver... test speakers now re boot all is well
many thanks
ric

ah, i am glad you have found the solution... but i was hoping to get a chance to personally help someone out! Anyway, I am glad it worked out for you!

Riconeill, very good, and I am glad that I could be able to help in a way. Good luck!

lucky guess on the drive! LOL
like it says on the site that was linked .from link
========
Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website.

lucky guess on the drive! LOL
like it says on the site that was linked .from link
========
Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website.

You can say that again. That was the reason I linked to the landing page instead of the exe file, to emphasize my earlier posting about drivers from the manufacturers website. Generally, Realtek should work fine on most systems.

Yeah most boards use the realtek or the sigmatel ones.

as long as its not the via chipset ,then you would need the Via ac97 drivers ,also could have been ac97 highDefinition 5.1/7.1 drivers needed !with out the MB name its only guessing !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.