Hi,

This is my first thread.

Yesterday, I installed Windows 2000 Pro, but did this by installing a new copy of windows 2000 (clean install) and not upgrading to W2000 (which Microsoft recommends) as it was my understanding that ME cannot upgrade to 2000.

Now when I startup a message comes up saying 'Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Microsoft Windows (refers to ME)

This morning I tried reinstalling W2000 hoping that this might delete ME, but I'm now left with:

a) my W2000 pro installed with all updates from yesterday (good)
b) ME which isn't functioning properly (not good)

I would like to either:

1) Completely remove ME (is this partitioned?) so that I only have W2000
2) If this does not work, completely remove both operating systems and restart the process with W2000 only (I have a full, and not upgrade disk, so can do this).

I probably should have taken the recommended route to replace ME with W2000, so maybe this is why I'm in this situation now.

Many Thanks for any advice.

Tim

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

when install win2000 you should have deleted the windows partition and created a new partition and formatted it and loaded win2000 fresh!

Don't worry. After one week of late nights, I have begun to learn (the hard way) about partitioning and my W2000Pro is now working well.

This particular problem is resolved, but in the future I'm not sure how to allocate space if I want to introduce a new application in Windows with either another Windows application or Linux (eg. DSL or Ubuntu)....

Don't worry. After one week of late nights, I have begun to learn (the hard way) about partitioning and my W2000Pro is now working well.

This particular problem is resolved, but in the future I'm not sure how to allocate space if I want to introduce a new application in Windows with either another Windows application or Linux (eg. DSL or Ubuntu)....

if you harddrive is big enough for this ,you should have created a few partitions when installing win2000,you can now use a 3rd party program like partition magic or some other there are many

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.