Member Avatar
tech291083
Junior Poster
181 posts since Oct 2006
Reputation Points: 5 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hi,

I am on Windows XP home edition and having a strange problem. Whenever I try to double click the C: Drive icon in the My Computer window, there comes a window called Open With and shows a list of applications such as Adobe Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Excel, Word,
PowerPoint etc as if the drive was a file itself. This is really annoying. Virus scans done so far do not reveal any threats or infections. Can any one please help me here? Thanks.

Member Avatar
Kraai
Senior Poster
3,937 posts since Feb 2008
Reputation Points: 56 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 96 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 4 [?]
Featured

It may be that you have a virus, I don't know, but I found this handy solution to a similar problem as what you described here. See if this link is of any help to you, and let us know:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_you_double-click_your_C_drive_it_gives_you_an_option_to_choose_a_program_to_open_with._What_can_you_do_to_open_it_by_double-clicking

Member Avatar
cohen
Practically a Posting Shark
819 posts since Nov 2008
Reputation Points: 17 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 44 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]
Featured

OK, well i would try malware bytes..... and see if that does anything, follow below:

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Also, i would recommend following the above users link... and trying a few things....

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article