I recently installed a new Asus mother board in a new case. All was well until recenty. Windows will not start, the screen just sits with the Asus logo. I am unable to boot from the Windows CD or get into the system BIOS. I was told by my IT guy at work to hold down the insert key while turning the machine on.

Can anyone help ?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I am unable to boot from the Windows CD or get into the system BIOS.

- Did the system ever boot correctly after installing the new motherboard? Your post is slightly unclear on that.

- Does the system emit any beeps when it attempts to boot? If so, tell us what the pattern is and what brand of BIOS you have.

If you can't even get into the BIOS, I'd crack open the case first and make sure that all cables are in their proper connectors and that all components are seated firmly.

- Did the system ever boot correctly after installing the new motherboard? Your post is slightly unclear on that.

- Does the system emit any beeps when it attempts to boot? If so, tell us what the pattern is and what brand of BIOS you have.

If you can't even get into the BIOS, I'd crack open the case first and make sure that all cables are in their proper connectors and that all components are seated firmly.

The system was booting correctly, a little slow. I believe it is not beeping at all. I am not sure what BIOS I am running. The problem started after my 5 year old wiggled the power plug on the machine.

HELP !!

The problem started after my 5 year old wiggled the power plug on the machine.

That might just be coincidence, but maybe not.

Open the case and check everything out as I suggested. While you still have the case open, turn the machine on and make sure that all of your fans are working. Also listen closely to the hard drive or put your hand on it. Can you hear/feel any indication that it is at least spinning up?

Just an idea. When my computer refused to boot useing xp I found it was because of my ram. Dust bunnies to be exact. Removed the ram. Cleaned it with a soft cloth and reinstalled. System booted ok. Hope that helps.....peace......im out

That might just be coincidence, but maybe not.

Open the case and check everything out as I suggested. While you still have the case open, turn the machine on and make sure that all of your fans are working. Also listen closely to the hard drive or put your hand on it. Can you hear/feel any indication that it is at least spinning up?

The Hard Drive is defiantely starting up. I can hear it, then it gets hung up. I can also hear the Cd-Rom spinning when I put the XP disk in, but that stops as well.

Grrr. OK-

In terms of this:

I was told by my IT guy at work to hold down the insert key while turning the machine on.

The guy was probably trying to accomplish one of two things by that suggestion:

1. On some (but not all) BIOSes you can force a reset by holding the Insert key down while the computer is turned off, and continuing to hold it while you turn the machine on and let it start the boot cycle.

2. Continuously holding a key down (or repeatedly pressing a key) as the computer boots will often force the BIOS to halt and cough up a keyboard error. You can often get in to the BIOS setup at this point.

A few standard things to try, assuming that you've already double-checked your cables/connections:

1. Remove, clean, and reinsert your RAM as helloimtim suggested.

2. If you have more than 1 RAM module installed, test the modules by installing each one individually and attempting to boot. If the computer fails to boot only when a certain RAM module is installed, replace that module.

3. Remove any PCI cards (network card, modem, sound card, etc.) one by one. Will the computer boot when one of those cards is not installed in the system?

4. Do the above steps for any CD, DVD, etc. drives.

5. Unplug the computer's power cord and remove the BIOS/CMOS battery from the motherboard. Leave it out for 30 minutes or more before reinstalling it. This will force a reset of the BIOS.

Grrr. OK-

In terms of this: The guy was probably trying to accomplish one of two things by that suggestion:

1. On some (but not all) BIOSes you can force a reset by holding the Insert key down while the computer is turned off, and continuing to hold it while you turn the machine on and let it start the boot cycle.

2. Continuously holding a key down (or repeatedly pressing a key) as the computer boots will often force the BIOS to halt and cough up a keyboard error. You can often get in to the BIOS setup at this point.

A few standard things to try, assuming that you've already double-checked your cables/connections:

1. Remove, clean, and reinsert your RAM as helloimtim suggested.

2. If you have more than 1 RAM module installed, test the modules by installing each one individually and attempting to boot. If the computer fails to boot only when a certain RAM module is installed, replace that module.

3. Remove any PCI cards (network card, modem, sound card, etc.) one by one. Will the computer boot when one of those cards is not installed in the system?

4. Do the above steps for any CD, DVD, etc. drives.

5. Unplug the computer's power cord and remove the BIOS/CMOS battery from the motherboard. Leave it out for 30 minutes or more before reinstalling it. This will force a reset of the BIOS.

Thanks for your help, I will give it a shot tonight. I'll let you know how I make out.

OK. Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any questions along the way.

OK. Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you have any questions along the way.

tried all your suggestions and had no luck. Not sure what to do.... Hope my new motherboard isn't fried :cry:

I am wondering about the slow problem before the crash...

Could you have a heat problem with the CPU ...

Does the fan on the cpu spin...

How about pulling the heatsink and seeing if the cpu looks scorched, make sure it had a coating of thermal grease etc...

When you changed things around did you have the heatsink off the cpu?

Did you clean and re-apply a coating of thermal grease?

You may have a fried CPU but the motherboard could be ok...

I am just tossing out a couple of ideas ...

Could you have a heat problem with the CPU...

That could definitely be worth a check.

Tome722,

If the motherboard is under warranty, you might just want to return it for another one before the warranty runs out.

it might be locking up cos the floppy drive error, try pressing f1 to bypass this, otherwise do as DMR said

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.