Hi

I am new here. I have put a new CPU in my Computer. It is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+. XP and my BIOS recognizes it, but not the 2 nd core. A couple of CPU info utilities state that they see that it is a dual core, but cannot access the 2 nd. One of them (AMD's CPUInfo utility) says that I have to enable it in the OS or BIOS. Well, BIOS isnt the issue. Even though HP does not allow the user to OC or manipulate voltages and fan speed, the BIOS has no enablment or CPU settings. It only reports current thermal and fanspeed.

I have been in contact with HP support for almost a week. I have gotten some steps that have not produced any effect or changes.

They had me do these steps:
"BarJabba, in order to resolve the issue I would request you to follow the steps
mentioned below
Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
Step 2: Configure selective startup options
In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
Click the Services tab.
Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
Click Disable All, and then click OK.
When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Please provide us some additional information along with the observation so that I can go deep in to the issue for a resolution."

I started to do this and I recieved a error message that stated that access was denied on one of the services that I was asked to disable. I am in an Administrators account. Of course, the support techs are in some other country(India and I think Africa) and I get different techs who don't know English and do not read the previous messages to get up to speed. Very troublesome.

I still rebooted as System Configuration Utility still does it.

In the Boot.ini tab>Advanced, We were trying to reset the /numproc to select th number 2, but, only the number one is in the drop down. I think we did the above steps to see if this would change it. I am not sure, as they still haven't got back to me. I do not know what other steps to take.

I suggested to just edit boot.ini myself and add the /numproc=2 to it and reboot. They haven't responded to that suggestion. I don't think they have read that part.

Any suggestions? What do you think of editing the boot.ini file?
Why does XP not recognize the other core?

I need to set back my original setup/configuration. I am largely unprotected and I need some of the services (I use assitive technologies) I know that when the core is needed that it is used then. But in the info utility it reads both vores and reports it information. Also nTune only sees one of them and can't test the CPU's both cores.

Thank you so much. I know this was a lot to digest.

BarJabba :?:

Recommended Answers

All 58 Replies

My initial thoughts lead me to this question:

Are you 100% sure the motherboard supports am2+
Check it out!

If it does then you may need to flash the bios with a newer version to add the support for dual core proccessing.

Just some thoughts!

See if you can determine the make and model of the mobo and do some research, or you can post it up and no doubt someone will have had the same issue with that particular board.

Hope this helps :-)

Just in case someone wants to know:
Motherboard: ASUSTek inc. A8N-LA(Nagami)
939 Socket.
Replaced the original CPU with the Athlon63 X2 4400+
The Computer model is: Compaq Presario SR1820NX

Everything else is in my profile.

To answer the questions. Of course I know what I installed, it is not the AM2+ socket that this chip fits in it is a 939 socket.

I have done all that. BIOS update (the one from HP is the only one they give to thier users), and Downloaded and installed the drivers from AMD. So far it all installed just fine. [Unless you are suggesting that I reinstall the BIOS updates?]

I am basically an old computer geek and IT pro. I usually do a process of illimation and use MSDN,Google,other tech forums, and Expert Exchange. I don't know XP as I am used to dealing in NT 4 and Windows 2000 Pro in an IY setting. I rarely give up and I am always researching and trying to get caught up in my studies.

Anyone have any experinces using the switches in the Boot.ini tab>advanced button? Specifically the /numproc= switch.:)

Thank you,

Hi, Sorry about the assumption!

I 've never had to check the 2 cpu in config myself but I strongly suspect it's for mobo's that litteraly use two cpu's, since technically a dual core is only one!

I've got a contact who techs for HP, I'll be seeing him in a couple of days and i'll ask him about it. If your still hairpulling by then I might have something for you. I would have thought the answer is in the bios, there maybe an advanced unlock code for it.

Did the os ask for reactivation? Home is supposed to wipe the hardware configeration file and ask to submit your new config, I'm sure it should do it straight away with a cpu upgrade? If not, your os might still think the old cpu is still installed?

Have you tried pressing windows key+ break? What processor does it show?

Also, have you tried going into device manager to see if the new processor is there in place of the old one?

Moving to a new processor with two [synthetic two?] cores, Windows should have detected new hardware and requested new drivers? I take it that the Device Manager does not show both? Or if it does, that there are no errors shown?
numproc is only used to limit the number of processors used. By default all are used, and you do not need to add the numproc switch.

Hi, Sorry about the assumption!

I 've never had to check the 2 cpu in config myself but I strongly suspect it's for mobo's that litteraly use two cpu's, since technically a dual core is only one!

I've got a contact who techs for HP, I'll be seeing him in a couple of days and i'll ask him about it. If your still hairpulling by then I might have something for you. I would have thought the answer is in the bios, there maybe an advanced unlock code for it.

Did the os ask for reactivation? Home is supposed to wipe the hardware configeration file and ask to submit your new config, I'm sure it should do it straight away with a cpu upgrade? If not, your os might still think the old cpu is still installed?

Thank you for responding. Sorry if I seem to snippy.
Quote:
"I 've never had to check the 2 cpu in config myself but I strongly suspect it's for mobo's that litteraly use two cpu's, since technically a dual core is only one!"

I was thinking along the lines of forcing XP to recognize a change and rebuild the HAL. But, never been there before, and I still haven't found good info on it.

"I've got a contact who techs for HP, I'll be seeing him in a couple of days and i'll ask him about it. If your still hairpulling by then I might have something for you. I would have thought the answer is in the bios, there maybe an advanced unlock code for it."

Oh, thank the good Lord! I will await you next email. I was at ASUSTek and saw a post there that gave some of those unlock passwords. Mind you, ASUSTek does not seem to list my specific Mobo(A8N-LA(NAGAMI) and HP's specs are short on anything to meaningful. I did leave them a message asking for the specs and most latest BIOS file. I am thinking I have to flash the BIOS (the jumpers) but that won't do anything because HP probably has the full BIOS protected like you suggest.

"Did the os ask for reactivation? Home is supposed to wipe the hardware configeration file and ask to submit your new config, I'm sure it should do it straight away with a cpu upgrade? If not, your os might still think the old cpu is still installed?"

Boy, we are on the same page (refreshing). Nope, the OS didn't ask for a reactivation. I have no CD key or the like. (can get it with a utility and write it down). It gets it from the registry. This is what I was trying to say in other posts and HP Support. I think that a reinstall (repair) might get XP to rebuild the HAL. Thing is, HP doesn't supply a clean install CD for its customers. I have a friend and System Builder that has all the OS's, I will ask him to let me use it for a repair. Might even buy a Full XP Pro (OEM) to upgrade in this situation and be able to use it on a new build later.

I am interested in Windows 7. I could download the RC and see if I can do an upgrad (Non Destructive). But I cannot promise to purchase, might be too cost prohibitive. I am planning to upgrade again around December based on this CPU working fully. I will probably multi boot it.

What do you think on that?

Thank you so much!!

I suggest you Get windows 7 now downloads stop at the end of this month I think.

You could try installing it on a new partition and see if it works.

Have you tried pressing windows key+ break? What processor does it show?

Also, have you tried going into device manager to see if the new processor is there in place of the old one?

I know what it shows in the boot up and in Device Manager. It all is correct. An "MD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+"
Device Manager> Computer>"ACPI Multiprocessor"
Device Manager>Processors>"AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4400+" two times

CMD Prompt >%NUM_PROCCESSORS% (This is what I remember, may not be actually correct) it showed the number "1". I am not sure why?Thank you for the info on the /numproc. I know that it was probably what you say, but what I was looking to do is get XP to rebuild the HAL without going therough a repair reinstall. I just though I might invoke that procees not actuall restrict cores. If putting the number two would cause XP to instal using HP's stuff. But, it propbably is a no cigar move.

Have you tried going into device manager and click on scan for hardware changes?

Have you tried going into device manager and click on scan for hardware changes?

I think I did way early on. But, I will give it another go. I will let you soon.

I think I did way early on. But, I will give it another go. I will let you soon.

Interesting. I had Device Manger up and selected the Scan for... It didn't do anything after displaying the scanning box. It just seem to show the two processors in the Processor expanded tree

I went to try it again in a new Device Manager and the Scan for... is not in the Action menu??? What am I forgetting?

UPDATE:

In Task Manager, it shows two graphlines, one Red and one Green. Could this be the other core recieving a load? I can only select "One Graph per CPU" in View>CPU History. I want to see the two cores in action. And I wonder why I cannot display both CPU graphs in the Perfoemance tab.

Also in the leveler bar graph to the left, it too shows both Red and Green bars, with the Red bar not going to high. Only once did it soot up to 90%. If not, then what is the Rad graphlines and bars mean?

Don't forget, AMD CPUInfo cannot show the other core in its assesment. And I can't seem to get absolute proof that both are working.

UPDATE:

In Task Manager, it shows two graphlines, one Red and one Green. Could this be the other core recieving a load? I can only select "One Graph per CPU" in View>CPU History. I want to see the two cores in action. And I wonder why I cannot display both CPU graphs in the Perfoemance tab.

Also in the leveler bar graph to the left, it too shows both Red and Green bars, with the Red bar not going to high. Only once did it soot up to 90%. If not, then what is the Rad graphlines and bars mean?

Don't forget, AMD CPUInfo cannot show the other core in its assesment. And I can't seem to get absolute proof that both are working.

The red line is kernel times, it seems your system isn't recognizing the second core still.

I had some thoughts on this issue and I am discussing them on Expert Exchange. I am just adding it here so I can illicit some responses and ideas on a shortcut to get XP to do a repair to rebuild the HAL for those who got stuck with an OEM version that the manufacture of a computer does not offer a clean install disk for this work. Take a look if you want to help me in this regaurd.

Quote:
FYI: For Experts Knowledge base: (mine and yours). Do not bother if this bores you.

/numproc in the Advanced has this meaning in editing boot.ini. Go to the link provided later. You will see a lot more options like this on in it."

"/NUMPROC=
Specifies the number of CPUs that can be used on a multiprocessor system. Example: /NUMPROC=2 on a four-way system will prevent Windows from using two of the four processors."

Evidently, it limits cores not adds. My idea still might work to trick or trigger XP to do a repair/rebuild of the HAL. Maybe incorporate it with the next idea or afterword if needed.

Another idea that I thought of is to go to the Computer>"ACPI MultiProcessor PC" and Double-Click it to get to the properties window. Then click Driver tab>Driver Details. Thenre you will see the three files that others are saying to replace for a rebuild of HAL.

Well, why not select "Update Drivers" and select "C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache" as the location of the new drivers. that is where XP stares a cache of system files. Select the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" as the thing to update when you are offered a list. Wouldn't XP do the same thing as a whole repair process would do? Without a CD install disk , without going through a complete refresh in a repair, and without the more manual copy routines others have suggested.

During reboot wouldn't XP know that something is different in the HAL and then rebuild from the cache? And what about my idea of editing boot.ini and putting this switch "/numproc" to make sure that 2 cores are only used (even if we do not have a triple or quad). I know Windows wouldn't shutdown/disable the primary CPU if it still can't utilize and see the 2nd core. If it did see it and the idea worked, then the primary should still work but /numproc should list 1 and two now in that drop down. In that case, you'd just disable it and reboot and you win, hopefully.

Maybe there are other things involved with the rebuilding process. I am a developer and Certed MSCD. I am not the one that made XP, so, I could be completely going in the wrong direction. My goal is to rebuild an limited OEM version like I have without borrowing or buying my own install CD. I want to use HP's own image to complete the task they have intetionally left out.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022 for more boot.ini options.

I have put a lot of research in these last few weeks on all my computer problems. This idea just seems like it migh bare fruit. I wish I had a duplicate machine that I could test this on. :-)

BarJabba

How about if you alter the system and force XP to reconfigure it's self. Can you remove a stick of ram or remove a graphics card and use an onboard one?

You may use hal.inf for that, rclick and Install, or if you know which hal you want:
expand .....\I386\HALxxx.DL_ C:\Windows\System32\HAL.DLL
eg HALMACPI.DL_

I was thinking along the lines of forcing XP to recognize a change and rebuild the HAL. But, never been there before, and I still haven't found good info on it.

Oh, thank the good Lord! I will await you next email. I was at ASUSTek and saw a post there that gave some of those unlock passwords. Mind you, ASUSTek does not seem to list my specific Mobo(A8N-LA(NAGAMI) and HP's specs are short on anything to meaningful. I did leave them a message asking for the specs and most latest BIOS file. I am thinking I have to flash the BIOS (the jumpers) but that won't do anything because HP probably has the full BIOS protected like you suggest.

Boy, we are on the same page (refreshing). Nope, the OS didn't ask for a reactivation. I have no CD key or the like. (can get it with a utility and write it down). It gets it from the registry. This is what I was trying to say in other posts and HP Support. I think that a reinstall (repair) might get XP to rebuild the HAL. Thing is, HP doesn't supply a clean install CD for its customers. I have a friend and System Builder that has all the OS's, I will ask him to let me use it for a repair. Might even buy a Full XP Pro (OEM) to upgrade in this situation and be able to use it on a new build later.

I am interested in Windows 7. I could download the RC and see if I can do an upgrad (Non Destructive). But I cannot promise to purchase, might be too cost prohibitive. I am planning to upgrade again around December based on this CPU working fully. I will probably multi boot it.

What do you think on that?

Thank you so much!!

Well you could try swapping the cpu's and posting them again untill you get reactivation, maybe a bit of ram switching.I think I got it wrong with the hardware changes. If memory serves me, you are allowed three chages but the cpu counts as two, and the counter is reset every 125 days (or something like that) If it fails to activate then we would know for sure that the os is cracked!,

If there is no coa and you dont know the history of the machine then a crack would go a long way to explaining the anomally! I know that back in the days of sp1 there was definately a hack going around that did involve the wba.dbl file, not sure were they got to with sp3 as I dont following cracking, and I wont elloborate to much on that, of course.

That's only wild conjecture at this point anyway.

As for 7, A friend of mine has been using it as his main os on most of his machines since the beta release, he has reported next to no major problems. Asides from a few network printer issues he claim's it pretty darn good. I feel that it will take and support will grow.
We've got a copy and are going to pace it out this weekend.

You could join in on my dastardly little plan, I'm going to play a micro market grab.The timing is essential, wait till vista bottoms out in price then grab some copies and get the cheaper 7 upgrade price! neya ah ah ah ah (dastardly master plan laugh!):icon_evil: . Well something like that anyway

Or you could ultra economise and buy a second hand clapped out machine at a yard sale, running pro of course (preferably not oem) and "repair it" so to speak neya ah ah ah ah ah ( not really all that dastardly as you know pro is transferable)

Still to see my hp friend, will be in touch!

How about if you alter the system and force XP to reconfigure it's self. Can you remove a stick of ram or remove a graphics card and use an onboard one?

I saw the other post where this was the suggestion. I could do that, but I'll have to wait for a friend to have time to come here. I am in a wheelchair and cannot access my computer very easily.

My question prior to trying this would be: Will my IMAGE of the OS from HP try to go into a complete reformat (destructive)? For that, I might have to jump to thier forum and ask them. HP is good at responding to support issues, but, very short on solutions. For HP this really is an easy one I think, give me a CD install disk and quit playing games with me. At least I could try a repair since this is thier image and thier misconfiguration.

Thanks for helping ... All of you!!

:) :icon_biggrin:

BarJabba

You may use hal.inf for that, rclick and Install, or if you know which hal you want:
expand .....\I386\HALxxx.DL_ C:\Windows\System32\HAL.DLL
eg HALMACPI.DL_

Is there any more detailed instructions/text on the expand over option? Or, is this a totally new? I've done that with system files for another issue. I want to do it as simply as possible (of course).

Would I just copy over the HAL.DLL that I have in cmdcons? I think those are the originally shipped versions of my system(also in D:). What do you supoose would happen if I did either of what you said? I want to do a little forseeing here, what if anything, should I be looking at/for in the way of a failure? I will prolly take the first suggestion. That seems the easiest and less trouble produding option.

Thanks...If you have any more information (links or whatever) send on up.

BarJabba

Hi,

"Well you could try swapping the cpu's and posting them again untill you get reactivation ..."

I think that that won't be easy. Just pu the thing in with my brother in law (he is a system Builder) and the HSF was a little hard to snap in for him. He is not so available to me and I simply don't have a lot of Arctic Silver 5 on hand to keep going back and forth like that. If we were in a shop and could keep it oprned up whilst try this, that would be ok. But, I don't have a shop and all the cabling and stuff is put in the back of my desk and configured for best removal of the case unit.

Taking out other components or switching RAM would be a better option to try to kick XP in the pants and reconfigure the HAL and to see and use the other core. I am not sure about the XFX Card I put in did not reconfig the HAL (I think). But, I did not have this new X2 chip in.

"If memory serves me, you are allowed three chages but the cpu counts as two, and the counter is reset every 125 days (or something like that) If it fails to activate then we would know for sure that the os is cracked!, "

Hmmm...I never have heard of that. How would I know what count I am on and would changing to many times make HAVE to wait a 125 days? That part doesn't make much sense to me. If you have some resources for me to read more on this, please send them on up.

"If there is no coa and you dont know the history of the machine then a crack would go a long way to explaining the anomally! I know that back in the days of sp1 there was definately a hack going around that did involve the wba.dbl file, not sure were they got to with sp3 as I dont following cracking, and I wont elloborate to much on that, of course. "

A crack? I pretty sure that isn't the case. I bought this online from Walmart and it is configured by HP/Compaq. If there was a COA it is somewhere in the garage with all the pacaging and thier Mouse and Keyboard. Having the COA is important, but what? I am the only user of this machine for purchase to now. Unless someone a long the way has altered before it arrived o my door step, thne I don't see how it could be cracked. I don't buy second hand computers, so, I aviod these problems.

I googled around and it seems that SP 3 doesn't let you rename it or back it up...not sure yet though.

"As for 7, A friend of mine has been using it as his main os on most of his machines since the beta release, he has reported next to no major problems. Asides from a few network printer issues he claim's it pretty darn good. I feel that it will take and support will grow."

I D/L'ed it this mprning. I haven't worked with ISO files before. I need to follow thier instructions for it. I would prefer to dual/multi boot it and have in on a partition of its own. I am hoping to put it on a Seagate 1TB USB External drive. I have a trial version of Acronis Disk Suite v10, but I never got the chance to try it out before it went out of trial. I could purchase that but it is looking more like I need to get an OS of my own first (either the Upgrade Pro or Full). I am on a very tight budget (only 100 a month). It'll be a little long before I can buy all I need, so, I gotta be logical and practical about it.

Also, I didn't understand your"plan"? Was this a joke and I just didn't get it? Buying up a product before its previous version is done all the time. Go on eBay, they do that all over it. It's a good plan if you are good at the sale timing and you have enough bought units to make it worth your wild. You couldn't do too well if you buy retail. You'd have to have an inside (close to source) distributor (the one selling to you) to give before retail rates.

(that's another subject for another thread):idea:

Maybe someone here can help with me in obtaining the XP Pro upgrade. I want to at least try that before all these other options of hardware exchange. If it doesn't work to make both cores work, then at least I know I have the pro version.

Windows 7's successful installation withh too reveal whether or not it is the HP imaged OS or not.

Thank you!! :)

Hi,
Yes the vista buy up was a little tounge in cheek! I was envisioning my local asian hardware shop with a box full of useless vista's he he he!

Just a thought, outside chance: does the os have sp3 installed?
if not , then support maybe there???
if so, there may be a hotfix for a known issue???

home oem allows you to change three items of hardware every 125days before asking for reactivation, but the cpu is counted as two items.
After the 125 days is up the counter goes back to 0 changes and another three items are allowed to be changed, and on and on it goes like that, I think!

Buy that count one more hardware change should activate it!

Alternately you could try copying then removing the wpa.dll file out of the system32 folder and see what happens when you reboot, if hardware tinkering is out of the question at the moment.

Oh and a machine straight from wallmart without a coa attached? I'm not sure how it goes over there but down here I'd be straight back to them asking what the heck was going on! I was under the impression that the oem coa MUST be attached to the hardware and nevr transfered, this would make them in breach of microsofts oem eula!

Still to talk with the hp guy (tomorrow) but yes I can confirm that hp bios's are governed and they are non flashable (darn spoil sports)

"Just a thought, outside chance: does the os have sp3 installed?"

Yes. I stated it in the beginning somewhere I think. It should be in my profile. Will confirm if I did or not. I thought that this SP3 had those HAL things covered, but, evidently I did not have thenew CPU when installing the SP, so, it just went by my current HAL stuff and HP has put an OS that only recognizes one core.

I went to MS and I found this link to be what I thinl I will do. It is for NT but can be used for XP since it is based on NT.
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded/2008-02/msg00144.html

I see what you mean by the "count" thing but I don't know the reasoning behind doing it that way? I mean, why limit the OEM's customer that way? What good does that do anyone? Sounds like they are just doing something to reveal copyright protetion imfingement. But, aren't there other ways to do that?

"Buy that count one more hardware change should activate it!"

I will see if it will do it after trying to do the above. I am hope to get a response from MS today at least showing me where I can D/L the actual installation file. I know it is on here somewhere, but I have so much HD to search through and really would like the actual filename to search. I may have just let Windows Update take care of it and there is no such .ZIP file. Hence, the need for a fresh Download.

"Alternately, you could try copying then removing the wpa.dll file out of the system32 folder and see what happens when you reboot, if hardware tinkering is out of the question at the moment"

Well, I read last night about others manipulating this file (for other reasons I think). Some of them did not turn out too good. I would, course, copy it over to my J: drive(it's probably there already). That way if something goofs up I have a chance to recover. Also, doesn't something change in the registry when doing such a thing?

"Oh and a machine straight from wallmart without a coa attached? I'm not sure how it goes over there but down here I'd be straight back to them asking what the heck was going on! I was under the impression that the oem coa MUST be attached to the hardware and nevr transfered, this would make them in breach of microsofts oem eula!"

First off, I think the COA is in the garage and in a box that the CPU unit came in. Meaning I'd have to hunt it down (having my wife do it, which in turn puts me in hell for a day). Secondly, HP/Compaq is in breach of thier OEM licencing in my case. They are resposible to fix thier IMAGE of the OS by either sending an Installation CD so I can do a repair, or give me a ready made utility that would alter thier OS to do it for me. They built it this way and they are beholden to support this OS. It is probably a quite simple task and request. They are the ones that are going to lose in the long run.

"Still to talk with the hp guy (tomorrow) but yes I can confirm that hp bios's are governed and they are non flashable (darn spoil sports)"

When finding this out last week, I nearly cried at my ignorance. I was so livid. I now know why my motherboard is not listed on ASUSTek website. I was trying to see if I can flash a whole version of the BIOS for my motherboard. I am planning a purchase of a new MB/RAM/CPU that fits this case(in Dec.). I know I will never buy an OEM like this again. I built my own before (and OC'ed it) and I never did buy HP/Compaq/Dell as I preferred to customization and control of my investment.

The reason I bought this one in June 2006 is I needed the shortest and cheapest route. I was too ill at the time to go through selection, pricing and building it (even with help). Theis computer is a good computer otherwise. Why would they sale me an 64 bit CPU without at least giving a 64 bit OS? Dual boot if neccesary. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you for your imput. I hope I can be a service to people here in the future.

BarJabba

Have you tried looking for a downloadable oem home image, like the 7 iso file?

These files should burn straight to a dvd or cd using a burner utility and a writer, If your just wanting files from it you could even go as far as using a emulater and try browsing them?????

Might just work you know! if it doesn't solve your problem you could keyfind the licence as you stated earlier and do a clean install, without even leaving the house:)

Do you want to overclock the cpu?

Have you tried looking for a downloadable oem home image, like the 7 iso file?

These files should burn straight to a dvd or cd using a burner utility and a writer, If your just wanting files from it you could even go as far as using a emulater and try browsing them?????

Might just work you know! if it doesn't solve your problem you could keyfind the licence as you stated earlier and do a clean install, without even leaving the house:)

I have the Windows 7 RC ISO. I am downloading a burner right now. I have Nero trial, but you know, that thing takes to many resources. It also tends to take over all your associations and acts like you are "stuck" with me now. I am going to remove it. If I use it I am afraid it is going to think it was married to me and want child support.:D

I am now running into issues of multi-booting the OS's. I have already was considering it because I also want Ubuntu. I am hopefull that I can at least get into Windows 7 and see if its installation (HAL build) will see AND utilize both cores.

I plan to migrate to Windows 7 after it becomes available some time in 2010. I want to give it its own partition and I do not want it to do anything to my current set up (XP Home). Others have said that I could not put any MS OS on a USB Drive(my 1TB), so I need to confirm that and put it either on a partition on the drive that has my XP Home (made with free space) or just go and waste more money on another internal drive. I just cannot run the risk of doing something to my XP home OS and data. I need access to it at all times.

Multi booting looks complicated and data destroying if you do not know what you are doing. Definantly not for the novice or faint of heart. :X

I am looking at the links that are given. I see booting XP into/with an existing Vista install, but not one having an XP Home as the main system. I'll keep looking. Either way, I am going to need more than referential help. I may need someone to be there to help me through it. I don't know how to go about that here at Expert Exchange.

Thanks I am going to burn my ISO now, will get back on EE tomorrow.

Do you want to overclock the cpu?

Nop! All I want is the full benefit of the CPU. I upgraded to it from a single core AMD and I need to get more processing power because I use assistive technologies and am adding some Home Digital stuff.

I will get a quad, better motherboard and RAM next year. I need to save. I have already found a combo Phenom II, 4GB and Mobo at eBay. So, I almost can't wait. :icon_biggrin:

I've been browsing your problem in google and there are many references to it. Are you the person who is trying to improve speed for Xvid/Divx? If so, then download Divx7. Divx 6 is for Xp not Net .
Also, if you are still using Xp and 32-bit OS than upgrade to NTFS and you see much improvement. You might even find your extra core.
PS, With dual core, you don't actually get double speed.

I had an AMD 1.2ghz. I upgraded to 2.1ghz. Everything worked for a few weeks then everything went into meltdown.

I've gone through 5 AMD computers in 4 years and yet my other processors just "keep on, going on" . It seems AMD are not good for heavy duty programs like video editing, programming or gaming. They seem to be okay for Spider Solitaire or just ordinary programs that don't require extra cpu outage.

Good luck with yours.

I've been browsing your problem in google and there are many references to it. Are you the person who is trying to improve speed for Xvid/Divx? If so, then download Divx7. Divx 6 is for Xp not Net .
Also, if you are still using Xp and 32-bit OS than upgrade to NTFS and you see much improvement. You might even find your extra core.
PS, With dual core, you don't actually get double speed.

I am not that person, sorry. I have upgraded my AMD single core to a Dual core. The system sees it ie Device Manager and BIOS set up. But in looking at a few programs and Task Manager it shows that only one core is accessed and utilitzed.

I hope people here understand I know how to google and use MSND/Technet. I am still wondering, but have decised that this has been solved, I just have to find my particular situation. I am waiting on MS and HP at this time. I am also debating if I should just get an OEM copy of XP Pro upgrade for now and see if it will rebuild the HAL. That or get someone to let me use thier XP Home install CD to do a repair.

Good Day

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.