Hi all
I've just had a mammoth "session" getting Windows XP to install onto an HP DV5-1209ax. And it worked! Yeeha! So the reason for this post is to let you know that it is doable, even though MS and HP have made it very hard to do so. If anyone has need of finding out how it's done, let me know, and I'll post the whole drama. Since the 1209ax is a very specific model, what worked on this model may not work on other "specific" variants.

As a teaser, the main things that were involved to make it all happen were these:
1) Find RAID SATA driver for the M770 chipset. None avail per se, so had to use Gigabyte equivalent.
2) Slip-stream the RAID SATA driver into an XP Pro installation and make a new boot CD.
3) Find the right XP-compatible driver for the Realtek RTL8168/8111 LAN to work
4) Use Mobility Modder from DriverHaven.net to get the ATi 3650 discrete graphics to work properly
5) Use DriverAgent (I have a subscription) to find all other drivers

All up, including the conversations with HP (who were VERY helpful, for a change), it took around 3 hours. Laptop certainly is markedly faster now that it has the Vista bloat-ware off it!

I hope this is useful for someone. Contact me by either leaving your email address of sending me a message through the Daniweb system if you need specifics.

Cheers!
Peter

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello, i would love you to either post or mail me just how you installed XP on this model of laptop. I'm so sick of vista & dying to get Xp on my machine.

I will need a step by step account of how to do this.

Cheers Nigel

Any chance of a rundown of what you did please?
Cheers Nigel

Hi,
Go to this site
http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_slipstream.htm
and read all about slipstreaming, download the programs, download the drivers you need for your laptop (As per instructions above) slipstream the lot. You will have an up-to-date OS CD that you just start, walk away and when you come back it is installed, working and up-to-date.

Any chance of a rundown of what you did please?
Cheers Nigel

Hello nigel are you there !
think the poster did post a rundown on what he did incase you missed it in his post i'll but it in mine .
====================
As a teaser, the main things that were involved to make it all happen were these:
1) Find RAID SATA driver for the M770 chipset. None avail per se, so had to use Gigabyte equivalent.
2) Slip-stream the RAID SATA driver into an XP Pro installation and make a new boot CD.
3) Find the right XP-compatible driver for the Realtek RTL8168/8111 LAN to work
4) Use Mobility Modder from DriverHaven.net to get the ATi 3650 discrete graphics to work properly
5) Use DriverAgent (I have a subscription) to find all other drivers

All up, including the conversations with HP (who were VERY helpful, for a change), it took around 3 hours. Laptop certainly is markedly faster now that it has the Vista bloat-ware off it!

@ canucope: sorry I didn't see your request for more info until this week: for some reason, the auto nofityier from Dani didn't notify me, and I hadn't been back to the site for ages. I hope you were able to use the info I had posted, even if it was generalised in nature. It's been so long now, I've forgotten the exact procedure, but if you have access to someone with a bit of tech 'nous, they could work out what to do from the info I provided.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.