I hope this is not a duplicate post. I just posted but when I hit enter, it said I wasn't signed on...I thought I was.

I am working on my Grandaughter's Sony Vaio running some version of Windows XP...it is about 3 years old and she has auto updates on so I would assume it is SP2. She does not have her original XP disk nor a recovery disk. She does have the product key.

Problem: The computer hangs while in windows and cannot be shut down properly. You finally have to just shut it off. When you turn it back on you get a screen that says:
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
Continue with system restart
Unfortunately, the keyboard won't allow input to choose either option. She states if you keep turning it off and on, you will finally get keyboard support. I have turned off and on for 2 days and still cannot get the keyboard to work. She states this has been happening for a while? I did get it to start once on Friday, got all the windows updates and a fix for the realtek audio to load and install and then it hung again before I could shut it down.

I have a toshiba laptop running XP but my disk is for the original XP Home not SP2. Would my Toshiba Boot disk work to try to start her computer or would it cause additional problems?

After reading some of the knowledge base articles, I think it is a BIOS problem but need to get the computer started to get the fix. Any suggestions? Also have others had this same problem? How did they correct?

Thanks,
Sherre Weeks

As soon as ur laptop is starts, press F8 key (at the very initial stage, when windows do not start loading).

U'll get a list of options, select 'Safe Mode' from that (i believe it should be the top one). In safe more, laptop wont start with all graphics and devices, but all useful ones should work. Try to install the missing drivers there.

I hope this is not a duplicate post. I just posted but when I hit enter, it said I wasn't signed on...I thought I was.

I am working on my Grandaughter's Sony Vaio running some version of Windows XP...it is about 3 years old and she has auto updates on so I would assume it is SP2. She does not have her original XP disk nor a recovery disk. She does have the product key.

Problem: The computer hangs while in windows and cannot be shut down properly. You finally have to just shut it off. When you turn it back on you get a screen that says:
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
Continue with system restart
Unfortunately, the keyboard won't allow input to choose either option. She states if you keep turning it off and on, you will finally get keyboard support. I have turned off and on for 2 days and still cannot get the keyboard to work. She states this has been happening for a while? I did get it to start once on Friday, got all the windows updates and a fix for the realtek audio to load and install and then it hung again before I could shut it down.

I have a toshiba laptop running XP but my disk is for the original XP Home not SP2. Would my Toshiba Boot disk work to try to start her computer or would it cause additional problems?

After reading some of the knowledge base articles, I think it is a BIOS problem but need to get the computer started to get the fix. Any suggestions? Also have others had this same problem? How did they correct?

Thanks,
Sherre Weeks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.