Microsoft Windows XP Service pack 2

Booted my desktop this morning and after all was loaded, my desktop icons do not load and everytime I click on any .exe, .jpeg, .mp3, ect. . .I receive the following error message:

Windows cannot open this file:

File: ****

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer.

What do you want to do?

When I select Manually select and press okay, I get the following list:

Adobe Reader 9.1
Internet Explorer
Microsoft Office Excel
Microsoft Office Picture Manager
Microsoft Office Powerpoint
Microsoft Office Publisher
Microsoft Office Word
Notepad
Paint
Windows Media Player
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
Wordpad.

I've tried opening an .MP3 file and selected Windows Media Player and receive the following error:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter for my desktop contains all my work for school and I failed to create a back-up when I knew I should have. Thank You to all who can/may help.

Sincerely,
Dill

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

do you have any anti virus software? try to scan your system with malwarebytes...
or try this:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
download--> exe file association fix and double on the registry file to fix your registry..it could be some malware that change your registry settings..
but try to scan your system first with malware bytes..check if it will help ;)

I have just finished attempting the instructions given by Step 15 of the thread you directed me to. Unfortunately, I am still unable to open anything. The program that Step recommends is a .EXE and I am unable to run it. I continue to get the same error as previously stated.

I am running a Full Scan as we speak using Trend Micro Anti-Virus. It has been running for 52 minutes and is only 26% complete. I will post the results of the scan as soon as I can. Again, I thank anyone and everyone who can/may be able to help with my current situation. Thank You.

Sincerely,
Dill

Please Run the ESET Online Scanner and post the ScanLog with your post for assistance.

• You will need to use Internet Explorer to complete this scan.
  • You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.
  • Be sure the option to Remove found threats is Un-checked at this time (we may have it clean what it finds at a later time), and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
  • When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please post that log for us as directed below.

NOTE: If you are unable to complete the ESET scan, please try another from the list below:

Kaspersky Online Scanner Panda Active Scan Trend Micro HouseCall F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

My Trend Micro Anti-Virus scan only found 4 threats which were all cookies. I have tried running each of the listed online scanners but to no avail. None of them will run at all and Internet Explorer keeps telling me I have no connection when I attempt to go to the ESET Scanner. I am now at a complete loss as to what to do now.

Download HijackThis Executable from here. Save it to your desktop.
Right click on the hijackthis executable and select "Rename." Rename it analysethis.com[.b]
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and then go to the format Tab and make sure that wordwrap is unchecked. Copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

You can also try this rescue disc from avira; http://www.free-av.de/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

I would like to thank everyone who had responded to my thread. Unfortunately, my computer completely crashed and wouldn't load past the loading screen. A friend of mine has given me a floppy disk that he called a G-Disk which, from what he told me, will format my hard drive making 7 passes. No clue if it will work but I'm hoping it will considering I can't get my computer to boot from my XP disc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.