hi there.
i am using my sisters account to ask for this advice

i have a 40Gb samsung hard drive with windows xp professional installed on it.

my problem is that i have been experiencing quite a few windows errors and BSODs over the last couple of days. A virus might be the cause i suppose but its unlikely as this particular machine has no internet access and rarely uses software disks distributed in magazines.

the computer will allow me to reinstall windows but when i go to access it i find that all my files are still there. i want to perform a complete reformat and rid these files too. :eek: i think i am doing things as said to do them but im not sure. can anyone offer me help on this please.

please send replies to my sister via this forum and then she can pass onto me.

thanks
Graham:)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Have you tried actually booting to the CD? (Shut off the computer with the CD in the drive, and try to boot to it). That usually works for me.

Yes windows wont let you format the drive it is residing in ... so you could just boot from a cd rom or if you have a dual boot system .. you could go to the other operating system and format the drive.

hi Graham,
Set system to boot from CD before hard drive (go into Setup at start by pushing Del key usually, find Boot Order, and set it to Floppy, then CD or Optical, then HDD, save changes) Put your XP CD in and start up comp. after a bit, XP will ask you if you want to install. It will ask you how you want to install. ONe choice is delete the existing install. Do that. ONce deleted, then choose to install XP on the unpartitioned space, and away you go. Sure hope you get anything you want off first.
Darph
never underestimate the power of a dark clown

Of course "Windows" wont let you format C:\, that's like asking Windows to commit suicide. You have to boot from your XP CD, (set boot from CD first in BIOS). It should go into Setup and load files for a new Windows Setup. Then when the screen comes up to select Setup type, select Repair, Repair Console. If you have set an Administrater's password you must use it to enter the Repair Console. Once there CD \ and type Format C:

The best method of all is to boot from the Windows CD, and when you get to the part where partition information is shown choose to delete the existing partition, and then create a new on in its place. The Windows install will format it for you ;)

hi Graham,
Set system to boot from CD before hard drive (go into Setup at start by pushing Del key usually, find Boot Order, and set it to Floppy, then CD or Optical, then HDD, save changes) Put your XP CD in and start up comp. after a bit, XP will ask you if you want to install. It will ask you how you want to install. ONe choice is delete the existing install. Do that. ONce deleted, then choose to install XP on the unpartitioned space, and away you go. Sure hope you get anything you want off first.
Darph
never underestimate the power of a dark clown

billinn:Of course "Windows" wont let you format C:\, that's like asking Windows to commit suicide. You have to boot from your XP CD, (set boot from CD first in BIOS). It should go into Setup and load files for a new Windows Setup. Then when the screen comes up to select Setup type, select Repair, Repair Console. If you have set an Administrater's password you must use it to enter the Repair Console. Once there CD \ and type Format C:

nanosani:Yes windows wont let you format the drive it is residing in ... so you could just boot from a cd rom or if you have a dual boot system .. you could go to the other operating system and format the drive.

hi guys,

thanks for verifying for me. :) i told him this was exactly what he had to do but he's claiming that the windows cd he's got isnt a bootable disk. :confused: I disbelieve him though because i origionally installed it for him and it booted ok.
i think what im going to have to do is wait until he vanishes off to work when im on a day off from my work and get into his computer to see what his boot sequences are.

just out of curiosity is it actually possible for an operating system cd that was perfectly bootable to suddenly refuse to work. i know there is a possibility that he might have accidently deleted something but its something that i am curios about and if he has deleted the file off the cd what is it called and how do i get it back?

thanks guys:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.