I have an Advent 7060 home edition XP laptop that wont start up. When I turn the power on it goes to a screen whereby it gives me 5 options which are

• Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode with networking
  • Safe Mode with command prompt
  • Last known configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
  • Start Windows normally

I have chose all of these options at some point but all have failed and I don't know what else to do.

Can someone please help.

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Hi,
There a few easy things we can try but you must have your Windows installation CD for what I have in mind, do you have it?

No sorry I don't unfortunately.

Hi,
There a few easy things we can try but you must have your Windows installation CD for what I have in mind, do you have it?

No sorry I don't unfortunately.

Hello,

Do you have a friend that has a Windows installation CD? You should be able to use that to repair your install if it is the same edition.

Or, perhaps you have a restore partiton. Are you aware of a restore partiton on your computer? - some have a repair option.

hi,

Ill have to start asking my friends but if not can't i just purchase one from a shop? And if i do purchase one from the shop is it guaranteed to work?

No, i am not aware of a restore partition. What should i look out for when i am trying to boot up the laptop to open up the repair option?

Try this,

Using the HDD Recovery System

Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require any CDs or DVDs to restore your PC to it's original factory condition.

There are two ways to start the recovery -
Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed.
In Windows by clicking: Start / All Programs / System Recovery / System Recovery.
The recovery will load and display a box with one option:
Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.
To access the recovery options below that erase all data from the computer, click the Advanced button.
System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows, supplied applications and drivers. It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled.
System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled.
Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next.
You will be informed about System Restore in Windows, click Yes.
The recovery will begin. Once this is complete click Restart.
Additional information

Press the ALT and D keys at the recovery menu to access a command prompt. This will allow access to C: drive. The command prompt will default to c:\minint\system32 where you can run a variety of tools including CHKDSK.EXE.

Hi,this inf omight help

Using the HDD Recovery System

Your Advent computer uses the latest recovery system that doesn't require any CDs or DVDs to restore your PC to it's original factory condition.

* There are two ways to start the recovery -
o Restart your computer. Then Press F10 repeatedly until the message "Starting System Recovery" is displayed.
o In Windows by clicking: Start / All Programs / System Recovery / System Recovery.
* The recovery will load and display a box with one option:
o Non-destructive recovery: this option will restore Windows, supplied applications, and drivers. This option will not destroy your documents or programs. These will be backed up along with the registry. These are restored at the end of the recovery process.
To access the recovery options below that erase all data from the computer, click the Advanced button.
o System Recovery - No format: this will reinstall Windows, supplied applications and drivers. It will move your files to a folder called "My old disk structure". Any applications (except those supplied) will need to be reinstalled.
o System Recovery - Quick format: this option will erase your hard drive including your personal files. Windows, supplied applications and drivers will be reinstalled.
* Select the Non-destructive recovery option and press Next.
* You will be informed about System Restore in Windows, click Yes.
* The recovery will begin. Once this is complete click Restart.

taken from this web site !
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/7060.htm

hi bob ,i guess are google fingers are working tonight !
lol

Touché,
yes but morning here...

Touché,
yes but morning here...

it's morning here now .lol, 7am right now

Thank you for your help, and just to let you know I am actually typing from the laptop that was half dead :)

There's one other tiny issue though, from this laptop can I connect to my HUB using WLAN because I've tried to but failed so I'm using the lead which is a pain . I'm not sure if this laptop actually has WLAN but if so I don't know how to make it work.

thank you.

Good to hear it is working, I don't know enough to tell you what to do for your WLAN. Someone here will offer help I am sure, but try to Google it and see how you go. Leave this thread open until you get it fixed, you can mark it as solved when it is all OK.

There's one other tiny issue though, from this laptop can I connect to my HUB using WLAN because I've tried to but failed .

you say you tried and it failed ,what if any error message did you get ,also some laptops have a WIFI certified sticker on the bottom,a small button on the keyboard area to turn it off and on also if you right click on my computer go properties/hardware /device manager / look down lower in the list for network device ,click on the + and it will open and if you have wlan it will be in there along with the wired device. when i google it i find specification for that model and it dosn't show it having one ,so if thats the case you could either use a USB wlan device or a PCMCIA wireless device .also you need a wireless router not a hub ,unless the hub is a wireless one

I've went through the steps you put down but it came to a halt when I was looking for the 'device manager' option which wasn't there. I'm not sure how to use the USB wlan device and yes, it is a wireless hub that I have im my home.

To access device manager go "Start" "Run" type "devmgmt.msc" without the " "

Sorry, it was 'network device' that wasn't there not 'device manager'

The link provided should be your laptops system specs;
There is also the system recovery method included in the specs.

http://www.measham.force9.co.uk/advent/laptop/7060.htm

According to this, you have a "Network Adapter" for wired, which you already found out.
You do not have a wireless (wifi) adapter, so in order to utilize the wireless function, you need to purchase that adapter.

Hope this helps

I'm not sure how to use the USB wlan device

believe it or not it will show you how when you go out and buy one for your laptop .
something like this .
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=358

Thanks for that. I'll now mark as solved. Thanks for all your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.