I have an HP pavillion and my D:recovery drive is almost full less than 1G available, while my C: Drive still has plenty of space available. I have an external hard drive and copied the entire D: drive to it. My D: is FAT32 and External drive is NTFS will there be a compatability problem?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I have an HP pavillion and my D:recovery drive is almost full less than 1G available,

should not be a problem, also you should not have added anything to it as it for recovery only,to be used along with the recovery cd you should have !it should be let alone in case you need it to recover the computer

while my C: Drive still has plenty of space available. I have an external hard drive and copied the entire D: drive to it. My D: is FAT32 and External drive is NTFS will there be a compatability problem?

should not be a problem as long as when you copy it back the recover partition is still fat32

recovery partition will not slow down your computer ,
try a little cleaning with ccleaner .and malwarebytes .
=====================================

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Make sure that you restart the computer.

CCleaner
Download Ccleaner, Install it, Open it...
Under the 'Cleaner' Section select all in the 'Windows' And 'Applications' Tab, Then click on 'Analyze' And then 'Run Cleaner'...
Do The Same In The 'Registry' Tab, i.e. 'Scan For Issues' and 'Fix Selected Issues', It will ask you to make a backup, DO IT...Then Click on 'Fix All'run the registry one until it finds no more!...Now Reboot The Pc..

I am running Verizon Internet Security by Radialpoint. Will I need to do anything with this program to run the anti-malware and ccleaner? You are also saying that it does not matter if the recovery drive is almost full as far as computer speed, correct? Thank you.

Also where do I save this backup I am supposed to do during the Reg Cleaner process?

Also where do I save this backup I am supposed to do during the Reg Cleaner process?

where ever you want .i just save it to my documents folder .

I am running Verizon Internet Security by Radialpoint. Will I need to do anything with this program to run the anti-malware and ccleaner? You are also saying that it does not matter if the recovery drive is almost full as far as computer speed, correct? Thank you.

the recovery partition has nothing to do with windows being slow ,Its just storage of the windows recovery ,incase you need to reload windows to your laptop .
the version IS shouldn't cause any problem with malwarebytes

I ran the scan here are the results. Do I ned to purchase this product or should I wait?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3285
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/3/2009 11:58:44 AM
mbam-log-2009-12-03 (11-58-19).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 254001
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 27 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-

I didn't remove before I sent the log here it is again.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3285
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/3/2009 12:07:54 PM
mbam-log-2009-12-03 (12-07-54).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 254001
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 27 minute(s), 35 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 6
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\minibugtransporter.minibugtransporterx.1 (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{04a38f6b-006f-4247-ba4c-02a139d5531c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2b96d5cc-c5b5-49a5-a69d-cc0a30f9028c} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{3c2d2a1e-031f-4397-9614-87c932a848e0} (Adware.Minibug) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549b5ca7-4a86-11d7-a4df-000874180bb3} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

From caperjack;
should not be a problem as long as when you copy it back the recover partition is still fat32

Meaning, keep it at fat32, changing to NTFS is a one-way process.

Meaning, keep it at fat32, changing to NTFS is a one-way process.

i just said that as im confused to his backing up the recovery partition ,and what would happen to it on a ntfs drive , nothing i assume ,if its just backed up to a folder on the ntfs drive . ,and not changing the recovery partition from fat32 to ntfs
its fat32 usually because its a norton ghost image .

i just said that as im confused to his backing up the recovery partition

Wasn't sure about his reasoning for that either.

Wasn't sure about his reasoning for that either.

also it shouldn't be getting full ,should not have changed as it not meant to add any files to it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.