Is it possible to reformat a hard drive and install Windows XP using a windows startup disk (floppy)?

And if so, how?

Note: I cannot get the PC to boot from CD and thats why I was wondering if this is possible.

Ive been trying to reforamt a troublesome PC for about a week now and ill be greatfull for any help you can give me.

Cheers.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Yea boot sequence is correct I think its a BIOS problem. Im going to try the link you gave me but I just got to find 6 floppy disks!

Cheers.

Is it possible to reformat a hard drive and install Windows XP using a windows startup disk (floppy)?

And if so, how?

Note: I cannot get the PC to boot from CD and thats why I was wondering if this is possible.

Ive been trying to reforamt a troublesome PC for about a week now and ill be greatfull for any help you can give me.

Cheers.

It is imposible to install windows using the startup disk.
But you can reformat the hard drive using startup disk but you must have to configure the bios setting to boot from floppy.

What you need is a boot floppy that has your CD Rom drivers.

Boot to the floppy, copy the i386 folder from the CD to the hard drive (I prefer to put it into its own small "D" partition...) and execute the program winnt32...

It should be all you need

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.