I'm trying to transfer files from my old pc to my new pc. Both use XP. I have a crossover cable. I need a site to go to that has step by step instructions if possible. Thanxs

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I'm trying to transfer files from my old pc to my new pc. Both use XP. I have a crossover cable. I need a site to go to that has step by step instructions if possible. Thanxs

crossover cables via nullmodem..ahhh lots of fun!!

Are you doing this via the Serial port, the Printer Port or using a CAT-5 cable that you crossed over?

this sort of changes how things are done in the setup, also what OS are you using. I have alot of detailed information on how to do this, i just need the specifics to do it and i will be able to give you all the help that you need.

I have a Cat5 crossover cable. I am using Xp on both pc's. I am trying to transfer my music files to the new computer.

I have a Cat5 crossover cable. I am using Xp on both pc's. I am trying to transfer my music files to the new computer.

ok, since your using a cat-5 this shouldnt be that hard.

Firstly, you must make sure that each computer is in the same workgroup:

Rightmouse click on My Computer>Properties>Computer Name::and now check the workgroup to see what it is called and check to make sure that its the same on the other machine. if not, click on rename, and simply rename the workgroup and restart the computer.

secondly,did you buy or make you own crossover cable? (it makes no difference, but it helps to know later if there is a need for trouble shooting)

finally, do these machines already have access to the internet, because you are going to need to install some protocols, that wont need to be installed if the machines are already connected to the internet.

The protocols you need to install are:

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
Client for Microsoft Networks

those will need to be installed on both machines so that they can locate and find eachother.

you will need to specify IP's and gateways for each machine after you connect them via the CAT-5 cable.

Machine 1:

IP Address: 192.168.10.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: <<let this value default to whatever it chooses>>

Machine 2:

IP Address: 192.168.10.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: <<let this value default to whatever it chooses>>

i have a question though that can affect if this works or not...are any of your PC's connect via wireless internet? if they are you may run into conflicts with the ip address you personally assign, you may want to try assigning them higher up numbers.

like 192.168.10.9 for machine one and
192.168.10.10 for machine two.

after you have set up each machine with the correct protocols and connected them, you have to share the music folder.

Right mouse click on the music folder>Properties>sharing>Click to Share this folder on the network.

if it doesnt show that, and it showes a warning, click to allow sharing, and tell it that you dont mind that it thinks its a dangerous thing to do. then follow the previous step to share the folder.

once the folder is shared you can use the My Network Places to browse to the other machine and view the shared folder and the music to move it.

this is the basic runthrough of what i said, but its for windows 95 i believe...but most of what it says can easily be turned into windows XP by simply knowing where to go:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/peer.htm

*this is the basic runthrough of what i said, but its for windows 95 ........

with xp, you may not need to chang the ip address. it will be setup within 169.254.y.x . and the most protocal will load autoly. just share your folder and connect the cable(assume you have mounted the network card and driver), xp will detect them for you and ask you if you want to teansfer file.

i said like this because i guess you did not change the os setting and leave them with default when you install your os.

it would be quicker to pull the harddrive from one machine and slave it in the other computer and copy the files via window explorer

it would be quicker to pull the harddrive from one machine and slave it in the other computer and copy the files via window explorer

true, but not all have the skill to do that, and running a peer to peer via a cable may seem easier to some. also if both computers have internet access he wouldnt even need the crossover cable...to each his own.

true, but not all have the skill to do that, and running a peer to peer via a cable may seem easier to some. also if both computers have internet access he wouldnt even need the crossover cable...to each his own.

True! A USB transfer cable will do to ,much faster and easier to use than the crossover

crossover cables via nullmodem..ahhh lots of fun!!

Are you doing this via the Serial port, the Printer Port or using a CAT-5 cable that you crossed over?

this sort of changes how things are done in the setup, also what OS are you using. I have alot of detailed information on how to do this, i just need the specifics to do it and i will be able to give you all the help that you need.

I have a cat.5E crossover cable. I'm working with a laptop running XP at 32 bit and trying to move files to a new desktop with Vista home at ^4 bit.

I have a cat.5E crossover cable. I'm working with a laptop running XP at 32 bit and trying to move files to a new desktop with Vista home at ^4 bit.

use a flash drive or dvd burner to transfer file much quicker

It is basically the same except that in vista to get to your work group you go:
start-rclick my computer-properties
computer name (etc) - change settings....

and to get to the ip settings of your device -

start-network- (in the quicklinks near the top)- network and sharing center
then on the left hand side, change/manage adapter settings (or similar)

there is an answer,

but you are much better off looking for, and using the "file and settings transfer wizard" in xp. in start-accessories-??? somewhere I think.

here is a tutorial:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

then put the file onto dvd, etc. then click on the file in vista.
walah.
new account in vista, with all your stuff.

you are welcome.

why dont you just use a bridged usb cable. so much easier.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.