:?: Hi I bought this new computer a while ago (the one I'm using right now) and it already came with windows xp on it, It did come with a boot CD but windows was not included in it. I was wondering if there is anyway that I could extract or make a copy of the windows that came on the computer already so that I could install on a computer that I just finished building from a bunch of computer parts that I aquired and by the way the cd code or key is on the back of my computer (a lil sticker) thank you. I really apreciated, ohh and if u can can u email me on email removed thankx again!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

:?: Hi I bought this new computer a while ago (the one I'm using right now) and it already came with windows xp on it, It did come with a boot CD but windows was not included in it. I was wondering if there is anyway that I could extract or make a copy of the windows that came on the computer already so that I could install on a computer that I just finished building from a bunch of computer parts that I aquired and by the way the cd code or key is on the back of my computer (a lil sticker) thank you. I really apreciated, ohh and if u can can u email me on email removed thankx again!

i dont think its possible to make a copy of windows. ive read around on the forum here that its windows cd cant be copied and i doubt you can copy the files from when its already installed. also the boot cd should be the xp cd.

- Dave

I make backup cd's for everything and yes, you can make a copy of the windows cd. It's not illegal (making 1 backup for non-commericial use) so I'll tell you how.

First Step
- Right-Click on the Start button and click Explore
- At the top click Tools then go down to Folder Options and click that
- Click on the View tab
- Click the radio button for "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
- Uncheck the box for "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"
- Uncheck the box for "Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)"
- Click Apply

Second Step
- If all the WinXP files are indeed in that specified folder, just toss in a blank CD-R/RW in your drive and copy all the files
- Files should be: DOCS (folder), DOTNETFX (folder), i386 (folder), SUPPORT (folder), VALUEADD (folder), autorun.inf, readme.htm, setup.exe, spnotes.htm, win51 (file), win51ip (file), win51ip.sp1 (file)

Third Step (optional)
- If you have the cd itself just make a copy using either the Windows utility or whatever program you so desire.

If all you've got is a restore CD, you might be out of luck. However, some OEMS have started including the i386 directory on their hard drives, for when you need those files. Try doing a search, or look in the root of C:\, for all folders named "i386"

What you are attempting to do is not legal, therfore this thread is being closed.

Hello,

It is not illegal to make the media. It is illegal to use that serial number on the sticker on a second machine, however. That is why DLH closed this thread.

BTW, what Frenemy suggested above, making the files all visible, and then copying them off, will only work if your machine has the SAME IDENTICAL HARDWARE. If there is other hardware on the two boxes, then the new one will try to recognize the new hardware, but if it needs a driver, you will not have the CAB files necessary to finish the process.

To do it properly, you need that I386 directory and run setup on the box.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.