Hello, this morning when I booted up my computer, Avast! detects a trojan horse and moves to chest. Then I notice that a folder called "Common" has popped up. The folder contains two files, one named "_helper.sig" and the other named "helper.sig". The file that had a virus came from the same folder, its name is "helper.dll".

I have been looking for a solution for two hours and I haven't found a topic that suited me, so I posted on this forum.

This is the FIRST time this has happened.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack Three

Please help me with this problem,
-Nick

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

don't fret too much, Avast seems to have saved you from much damage. Let's see what this does...
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you when it completes... do not click the Save Logfile button.
Examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Copy and post that log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

Well, I think your help solved it, here is the log if you want to take a look at it:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4209

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

6/17/2010 2:05:26 PM
mbam-log-2010-06-17 (14-05-26).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 161784
Time elapsed: 21 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\AntivirusPro_2010 (Rogue.AntiVirusPro2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\AntivirusPro_2010\Microsoft.VC80.CRT (Rogue.AntiVirusPro2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\InternetSecurity2010 (Rogue.InternetSecurity2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Teresa\Start Menu\Programs\AntivirusPro_2010 (Rogue.AntiVirusPro2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\msimg32.dll (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Teresa\Start Menu\Programs\AntivirusPro_2010\AntivirusPro_2010.lnk (Rogue.AntiVirusPro2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Teresa\Start Menu\Programs\AntivirusPro_2010\Uninstall.lnk (Rogue.AntiVirusPro2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Common\_helper.sig (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\Common\helper.sig (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Teresa\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\AntivirusPro_2010.lnk (Rogue.AntiVirusPro2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Teresa\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security 2010.lnk (Rogue.InternetSecurity2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Teresa\Start Menu\Internet Security 2010.lnk (Rogue.InternetSecurity2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Got rid of both helper.sig and _helper.sig.

Looks like a good job. Teresa seems to be your other problem..., we don't have a solution for that. But Google, you never know. :)
As a final check you might do this...
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then...
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.